Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting On-Board

Getting On-Board

Having checked out the FWW site for several days, in registering this evening I wanted to Intrroduce myself and ask a few quick "Beginner" questions;
    1.) I'm in the process of setting up a 12x18 Basement shop. In cruising the Shop Tours, I was most impressed and also quite encouraged with the great solutions shared for small shops.
    2.) I have an older Craftsman 10" RAS in superb shape. Having bought this from the original owner who wasa upgrading, all I need to do now is learn to "Tune_Up" and align it which seems pretty deep in reading the manual.
    3.) In the process of building my Mitre station w/ Dewalt 705 12". With the design I am working up I can also incorporate a fairly nice Router station, using that 7-Ft wall for a Multi-Unit work space.
    4.) Placing my P/C Pancake compressor in a small shed that butts to my shop area to reduce noise level and would like to add a Grizzly 2/HP at later date. ** When I insulated and dry-walled this space I roughed in 2.5" Schedule 40 across the ceiling of the shop that will allow me to hopefully install B/Gates as I add my Wrk/stations. Concerns me that I see mostly LARGE-4" hose for most tools you guys are running?

My plan is to begin adding following tools. Building a list for Christmas to give to the Mrs & entire family for Lowes cards, no Jeans, etc. this year!
    RYI-3100 or PS-15 (Read quite a few positive comments on TS-3 site)

To close for this evening, I wanted to thank everyone that contributes. It's amazing how much a new person wanting to learn W/Working can glean just looking at shops and custom work/stations you guys have posted. I hope to post my humble start-up shop by the New Year!!

Bruce N.

ABQ NM
    Welcome aboard, Bruce. As you've noticed, the Web has a wealth of woodworking information...a lot of what I know in the shop was learned in front of a computer screen first. And I've still got lots more to learn.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

hi bruce!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Where's your Shop?

Thanks for the welcome. I noticed you contribute to the site a great deal.
    Also went out to your Website and checked out your work which is Awesome!
    Having done quite a bit of renovation, I was blown-away with your stair build-outs and Mantles!

So, where's your Shop man? Did I miss it on the tour?

Rio Rancho, NM
    Welcome to the Family, Bruce. Where are you from?
    Nancy Laird
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Delton, Michigan
    welcome bruce, and tods shop is everywhere... he will build it if you come
    its in the shop tours somewhere bruce.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thomasville, GA

Welcome aboard and good luck on your Wish List!

I started in our two-car garage and, using mobile carts, was able to develop a fully-functioning shop. The carts allowed me to roll everything into one side of the garage so LOML could still park her car inside. Here's a tour.

Although I have a lot more room since our move to Georgia, I still use some of the mobile carts for convenience.

Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Tokyo Japan
    Welcome to the Family Bruce

If you are starting to build your shop, before you get too far along, I got two words for your............

"Wooden Floor"

...... I wish I'd stopped and done that before I got so far into my little Dungeon

Your question about pipe, 2 1/2" pipe for dust collection??

I run 6" pipe to all of my machines

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Constantine, MI
    Welcome Bruce!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

DSM, IA
    Welcome to the Family Bruce.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website