Cottonwood rimmed bowl

Curt Fuller

This is a piece of cottonwood that has a little bit of cracking, some spalting, a couple nail holes, some crotch wood, and some of that chatoyance type stuff. It's just under 12" diameter, 4" tall.

Attachments

• Cottonwood rimmed bowl 1.jpg
    Cottonwood rimmed bowl 1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 80
That's a good looking bowl Curt. I have 5 or 6 cottonwood bowls roughed out and drying right now. Some of the wood looked real promising but I don't think any of it is going to have that much going on in it. Good job.

Beautiful!

Perfect timing on your part, a coworker just told me yesterday he had a couple of cottonwoods taken down and asked if I wanted any. I had told him I would take a couple, but now I may take some more!

Keith

Thanks everyone.

The thing I've found with cottonwood is that it gets it's color from time, the weather and the elements. If you cut it green it is plain with just a creamy white color in the wood. This wood came from a standing dead tree I cut a while back that had been dead long enough to loose the bark, start to split and turn grey. And on top of that this piece sat on the ground in my garden since last fall and spalted a little. Green cottonwood, poplar, aspen, willow are all stringy to turn. But let the wood get good and dry and it turns pretty nice.