Jason Beam

Welp ... it's proven, now.

SawStop

Steve Gass

A high speed camera.

And ...

STEVE'S ACTUAL FINGER

Not even a nick ...he didn't even jump.

Just in case it was a rumor that he actually did stick his finger in it .. it's now on film. Crazy!

Did you notice he stuck his hand in some type of liquid in a bucket? I wonder if it was to make sure there was enough moisture and salt to make sure it triggered very quickly. Still impressive, not sure I would of done it dripping wet. :)

Yup so now why would anyone that does not have a TS or is intent on buying a new TS not buy one of these Sawstop units. No brainer to me. What is the value of the 10 digits you have on your hand?

It works.
An improvement would be to make it available in a more affordable version.

They did, Frank. This summer(?) they released the contractor-saw version of the sawstop saw. I think it is priced somewhere around half the price of the original cabinet saw.

In fact, a Contractor saw is what they were using in that video.

...art

:eek::eek::eek:Amazing!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I never really knew how it worked before. Very Cool! Of course now I'm going to have nightmares of this happening on my TS. :eek:

Can't humidity play tricks on these saws? Since it looking for moisture to trigger the failure.

Not quite. It's not moisture it senses, but capacitance. From their "How it works" page:

The SawStop safety system includes an electronic detection system that detects when a person contacts the blade. The system induces an electrical signal onto the blade and then monitors that signal for changes. The human body has a relatively large inherent electrical capacitance and conductivity which cause the signal to drop when a person contacts the blade. Wood has a relatively small inherent capacitance and conductivity and does not cause the signal to drop.

http://www.sawstop.com/how-it-works-overview.htm

even more amazing than the saw itself is how many fingers it has saved already. go to their website and check out the testimonial page. amazing!!

i am thinking about getting one, especially since i hope to teach my son woodworking one day.

Well, I'm still waiting on shipping quotes, but I expect to have one in the new year :thumb:

I know that some people strongly disagree that this is a good thing, but without the whole safety device, it is still a very well made saw.

I very much like the idea of being able to not lose a finger, or most of one because I made a mistake, that is, after all, the main cause of most TS accidents, the operator loses concentration, or just makes a bad move. I'll still work like crazy to make sure I do NOT do these things, but if I do, I'll only be out the price of a new cartridge and a saw blade, NOT a finger.

Worth it to me.

I had a table saw accident 4 years ago. It was recreated many times for many people and it was determined to be one of those "nothing you could have done" things. The result was 3 surgeries, 68 stitches, a bone graft and 8 months of physical therapy. Oh...the total bill...$63,000. Still wondering if you can afford it?

I had a table saw accident 4 years ago. It was recreated many times for many people and it was determined to be one of those "nothing you could have done" things. The result was 3 surgeries, 68 stitches, a bone graft and 8 months of physical therapy. Oh...the total bill...$63,000. Still wondering if you can afford it?

Wow Jim, that is something else! :eek:

If you did have the SawStop, do you think the out come would have been different?

Question:huh: Will the saw stop work if you have say 8" dado head mounted on it?:dunno: That and the spinning knives of my jointer scare me more than any item in my shop:eek: With those and a router, there isn't much left to stitch back.... Hard to put sliced salami back to gether:D
The answer is yes. They sell a dado cartridge for the SawStop.

If I ever buy a cabinet saw to replace my contractor saw, I suspect it'll be a SawStop. (Might even consider the SS contractor saw instead, someday.) Like Stu said, even without the safety features, it's a very good saw. I would do my darndest to never see the safety features in action, but all it takes is once to make the extra cost worthwhile. I've seen some folks who argue about dampness of the wood possibly triggering the mechanism, by my response is that I have yet to cut wet or green wood on a tablesaw. That's what my bandsaw is for. ;)

Oh, my goodness! You should have seen me watching that video. I was physically cringing and moving away from the screen! I could hardly bear to watch! :eek:

Wish I could afford one...

Thanks,

Bill

Oh, my goodness! You should have seen me watching that video. I was physically cringing and moving away from the screen! I could hardly bear to watch! :eek:

Thanks,

Bill

I agree Bill. My wife and I both watched that segment and we both turned away. I could not bring myself to watch his finger get any closer. I also wonder what type of liquid he dipped his hand in before the scene. In all actuality I think his finger was a bit farther away than the camera angle showed. Seemed to me anyway.
Regardless, a great product. I completely understand the safety feature, BUT for some of us it is just not affordable. Ill have to take my chances with my Steel City for awhile.

Question:huh: Will the saw stop work if you have say 8" dado head mounted on it?:dunno: That and the spinning knives of my jointer scare me more than any item in my shop:eek: With those and a router, there isn't much left to stitch back.... Hard to put sliced salami back to gether:D

Like Vaughn said, yes, they sell a dado cartridge, it is taller as the 8" dado blade would require, and it is wider too.

putting that finger into the blade intentionally is about to me like jumping out of a plane at 4000 feet, without a parachute.

I'm going to disagree with you Allen, I'd say it is like getting into that airplane and flying, you are trusting all of the various technologies that you will land in one piece. :D

The answer is yes. They sell a dado cartridge for the SawStop.

If I ever buy a cabinet saw to replace my contractor saw, I suspect it'll be a SawStop. (Might even consider the SS contractor saw instead, someday.) Like Stu said, even without the safety features, it's a very good saw. I would do my darndest to never see the safety features in action, but all it takes is once to make the extra cost worthwhile. I've seen some folks who argue about dampness of the wood possibly triggering the mechanism, by my response is that I have yet to cut wet or green wood on a tablesaw. That's what my bandsaw is for. ;)

There is also a cut out, or override on the SawStop, this is for cutting green wood, materials such as aluminum, or any other conductive materials.

I do agree that the bandsaw is better at the green wood thing.

Thanks,

Bill

Yep, it was hard to watch for sure.

I agree Bill. My wife and I both watched that segment and we both turned away. I could not bring myself to watch his finger get any closer. I also wonder what type of liquid he dipped his hand in before the scene. In all actuality I think his finger was a bit farther away than the camera angle showed. Seemed to me anyway.
Regardless, a great product. I completely understand the safety feature, BUT for some of us it is just not affordable. Ill have to take my chances with my Steel City for awhile.

Honestly, if this was coming out of my family budget, well it would not be coming this year, too many other expenses, I'd most likely just keep what I have and continue to save my pennies, but as it is payment for my work on the aparto, and as I cannot be paid cash for that, then this becomes a workable option for me.

Cheers! :wave: