Time Warp on Discovery

I also wonder what type of liquid he dipped his hand in before the scene.

I think that he dipped in water or maybe a water salt solution so that he would be positive that it would trigger the machine since he was recording it for the show. My guess is that it maybe made it trigger a little, and I mean a little quicker than it normally would have. :dunno:

rework costs

so how much does it cost to get the saw back to working again? new blade to? that has got to torgue a blade big time.. still worth just cruius as to how much toget back up and running again?

so how much does it cost to get the saw back to working again?

I would have said new blade + new cartridge. That's what I've read everywhere. But then....

Larry, some guys report losing the blade, some do not, I have no idea what the ratio is.

... then Stu pops up with this and I'm :huh::dunno:

I see that blade bury itself in the hunk of honeycomb aluminum in the video and I'm more than puzzled. How could anyone expect to reuse the blade? I'd be real interested to read wherever you've seen those comments, Stu.

Blade Loss

Well, for figuring potential expenses you pretty much have to assume that the blade is going to be shot. But even so, a bandaid and less than $200 is as good as it gets for a TS accident.

BTW, Larry, my workplace regularly has Sawstop demonstrations. If you want to see it in action I can get a schedule for our next demo.

As for what all has been said about it, the only thing I would re-emphasize is that as a fine woodworking machine, both the contractor saw and cabinet saw are incredible in their quality. I have been able to compare features (in person) of the PM 2000 and the SS Cabinet saws head to head. The Sawstop definitely takes the cake, especially when the fence quality is taken into account.

Anywho, congrats on the new saw Stu! :) It's well worth it!

Hutch

I would have said new blade + new cartridge. That's what I've read everywhere. But then....

... then Stu pops up with this and I'm :huh::dunno:

I see that blade bury itself in the hunk of honeycomb aluminum in the video and I'm more than puzzled. How could anyone expect to reuse the blade? I'd be real interested to read wherever you've seen those comments, Stu.

I had read that sometimes the blade survives some times it does not, I think that SawStop recommends you turf the blade regardless.

OK, I did a quick Google search and found this >> HERE <<

Ben Grunow said:
The lumber wizard makes sense Mike but the SS will not trigger if you cut metal unless you are touching the metal when it touches the blade.

Matthew Dworman said:
Not true. We have had several (5) "false triggers" in the 2.5 years that we have had our 2 saw stops in the shop. 2 While cutting plastic, 1 cutting pressure treated, 1 happened when the machine wasn't cutting anything at all, and the most recent one happened while someone was cutting some MDF. I sent the cartridge back to SawStop to evaluate and they determined that there must have been a small piece of metal in the MDF which caused the brake to trip. I asked them if there was any way for them to fine tune the system better to distinguish between metal and a finger and they said that they are working on this issue now and will be improving the system in the near future. Hopefully this will be a firmware fix that can be implemented in older machines as well.

FWIW, not a single blade was damaged as a result of the brake firings. We were easily able to remove the blades from the spent brakes. They were thoroughly inspected for damage, broken or loose teeth, etc. There were no problems with the blades whatsoever.

Matthew

I know it is just one report :dunno:

I would not be counting on the blade surviving, but I would be counting on saving my fingers :wave:

I did not know that one gets false firings from this saw. I know its better than a digit but it now makes me wonder just how reliable the system is?
Funny how there has always got to be a catch.

I did not know that one gets false firings from this saw. I know its better than a digit but it now makes me wonder just how reliable the system is?
Funny how there has always got to be a catch.

Rob,

I've been researching these for a long time now, and they seem pretty darned reliable. You can always find someone to say that something new isn't any good. In a working shop, five false triggers between two saws in 2 1/2 years... well, that span of time is a LOT of cuts in a commercial shop.

A working shop is one thing, but in a home shop I can't imagine it would make sense to try to save the blade. A 70 dollar cartridge plus an 80 dollar blade= $150. Compare that to your average bill for an accident. The cost of a new blade doesn't change the equation much.

The other odd argument people make is "it would make me careless." Well, I'm not sure anyone gets any more or less careless when they're wearing a seat belt. You still try to avoid hitting that other car... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

while I think this is an incredible invention, and it has its place in so many shops, especially places like public shops where many use the ts, and so on.

I believe this machine should never be purchased other than what it is intended for,(in my way of thinking) that is to prevent catastrophies.
I dont believe anyone should feel more secure about operating a ts when they use this one.
Being lured into any kind of sense of false security is a disaster waiting to happen.
All security and common sense safety practices apply when anyone should use this ts vs. any other ts.

Never ever, in my opinion only ofcourse, should this machine be bought and anyone working with it have any less training or skill than they would with any other ts.
Having said that, I believe every school district that has woodworking shops, every public utility with a ts, every commercial shop, and anyone else that can afford one should buy one since there is never ever enough safety in a place with sharp blades that move with incredible force and rates.
This is a catastrophy preventer, and I dont thnk anyone should think of it as anything less.(this is my view only, I dont hold any interest in any other ts company or express the views of this site)

speaking from a business viewpoint, I wonder if liability insurance goes down with equipment like this in the shop?

Last edited:
...speaking from a business viewpoint, I wonder if liability insurance goes down with equipment like this in the shop?

Interesting question Allen. On the flip side of that, I've heard that some stores won't sell them because if the saftety feature doesn't work, the store could also be sued. Don't know if this is true, but I was told by a manager that is why a local store does not sell them.

...speaking from a business viewpoint, I wonder if liability insurance goes down with equipment like this in the shop?

Reading through the customer "Success Stories" on the SawStop site, it looks like Workman's Compensation costs have gone down in some cases. I suspect the same would be true for liability insurance, too.

The demo with the weiner was a more real life situation, because the weiner was being pushed through.
The finger test was not really real life, because the rate of feed was very slow. He was moving his finger so slowly, that even if the system wasn't working, he could have stopped the movement when he felt the first scrape of the blade. Not that I would want to try it myself.
Also his hand was touching the metal of the table top. In real life,the finger would probably be on a piece of wood.

One thing that was not mentioned was if the saw blade could be re-used. It certainly was impressive how it flexed when the stop was actuated.

Interesting question Allen. On the flip side of that, I've heard that some stores won't sell them because if the saftety feature doesn't work, the store could also be sued. Don't know if this is true, but I was told by a manager that is why a local store does not sell them.

Interestingly enough, the warranty on Saw Stop's web site, says that they do not guarantee safety. I believe that this is mostly due to the override switch. If the user disables the breaking mechanism, then it is just as dangerous as any other table saw.

I have seen the contractor version for about $1600 (USD).

As mentioned by others the break cartride is in the $65-70 range.

They have a dado cartridge for 8in dado stacks, not sure of the cost of that one.

I would expect that if you trip it, you will need a new saw blade. Your typical table saw blade isn't made to be slamming into a block of aluminum. I would think that on a microscopic level there will be damage done to the blade and or carbide tips. If a tip or part of the blade decides to disintigrate when you are running the saw, you will probably be wishing that you droped that $50-$100 on a new blade. :eek:

If I could swing the cost, I would get one. Maybe I should show the Mrs. some more mangled hand pictures.......

The blade is definitely trash after it's slammed to full stop. In fact, I don't know if you can even extract it from the stop mechanism. I beleive the whole thing is just lawn art.