Soffit Install Help

Pete Simmons

Frank - I am asking the experts at FWW.

Another question-

I see that the soffit is genarally screwed into the wood facia board and covered with a piece of Vinyl Fascia.

My application is as in the bottom example in the picture.

J Channel is on both inner and outer ends of the soffit. How do you fasten the soffit in this situation?

Attachments

• soffit.jpg
    soffit.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 51
i dont see how you would i have always used the first methode you show.. i woudlnt want mine to be loose like the second methode..have youa lread got the frt jmold in ? maybe mr ash will come back to respond to this he is the current authority here. send him a pm pete

pete,

i am not a siding guy, but around here they usually do the first method with the fascia. also, the soffit is prepped with 1x4's running the length of the soffit, giving something solid to nail to along the entire length. i can't remember all the terminology, but there is usually a 2x4 piece running from the end of the rafter, back to the top plate. the 1x4's are secured to this.

is your application just all open under the soffit?

Pete,
Is the soffit aluminum or vinyl T&G? If so, is there space to run blocking down the middle? The installation of the last piece can me a challenge, but at least it will be secure.

Another idea is to use F-molding front and back. The soffit sections would need to be slid into place - a progressive installation - instead of running all of the molding, then all of the soffit.

There are pros and cons to each method. Just food for thought.

Wes

Vinyl

It is a replacement so the wood fascia setup is pretty well going to stay as is.

It is Vinyl Soffit that is being installed.

Rev 1 -

Looks like most areas of the soffit have a 2x6 up in back of the wood facia.

So I can put J channel on both the inside and outside, slide the soffit in from one end and deal with 1 end piece which will be difficult.

I will try to work so as to have the least number of end pieces that I can.

Last edited: