Storing retrieving great posts

Rob Keeble

Folks, I have been wondering about how to keep track of where the posts are that you wish to go back to someday. I saw Larry ask about a drill press table and Stu kindly replied with a great post of his with pictures etc. Vaughn posted a link to a previous post of someone elses.

My question: Is there anyway other than searching for hours where these mini Tutorials could be stored/recorded and structured in such a manner that they are easy to access at a later stage. I am thinking like a database etc.

I find I have to concously take time out to download the post and edit out the unwanted info and make a pdf out of it for later use. Then save it to my hard drive.

If I miss on it for several reasons, then finding it later seems to be almost impossible without hours of seach.

Am I missing something here or is there an easy technique I have yet to learn?

The forum gives you a way to subscribe to threads, so you could subscribe to those you like and refer to your list of subs.

That doesn't get you straight to the right post though. You could just bookmark the posts in your browser. Or, if you use multiple computers, you can use delicious.com to save your bookmarks online and access them from wherever you are.

Cheers.

I have made a bookmark folder called "Family Woodworking" then I bookmark threads I want to refer to in there. Like the 5-cut test method for example.

Well guys I am always in call it development mode. I know I am only a member here but it would seem to me that since as I understand things this is member run, that perhaps there would be merit in taking up a collection and subscribing to some data file storage facility where we could better organize very useful posts after they have run their course. There are a number of additional vehicles of technology that would add to this forum which I believe are not carried out by any other forum.

Take as an example, the other night a week or so ago, I got hold of Dave Richards re Sketchup, and I showed him in a free demo using a site like Webex how we could do a one on one re sketchup.

Here is what I did: I set up a free trial with on Webex, setup a virtual meeting and invited Dave. Dave logged into the meeting and I gave him control of my machine. He then helped me by setting up my copy of Sketchup and showing me how to draw a component. The purpose of the meeting was two fold, Dave had posted about holding a class in Vancouver area and i was trying to encourage him to hold vitual classes via his own pc from home where he could be running Sketchup on his machine and have a bunch of students attend remotely. There are many ways to do the audio but we used Skype.

Whew, after that long explanation, what I am getting at is if we as in a the family subscribed to adding this service to the Forum, then perhaps we could use the features that are resident at a site like Webex to

a) Hold live demos of say a tool test. We could record the event too.
b) Do a training session at what ever time suites whoever and log on if you like.
c) Store posts that are of great learning value in a datastore where they can be structured as an online library and be organized for future access.
d)Store other information in the easy to setup databases.
e) Store event imformation in the online calendar they provide as part of the service.

There are a bunch of features to these types of sites, but it seems to me we could get a greater deal of benefit by adding them to our forum. By the way a forum is one of the aspects that come with the site as well.

The only set back is it is a little more costly than the price of hosting this forum from what I can see. But there are more dimensions to the service.

By the way just so you all know I have no affiliation with any of these services. I have just experienced them and have used them in the past.

My only intent here is to enrich the manner in which a newcomer can access info which someone has already taken the time to post. But to structure it so as to not have to have all the comment threads attached.

Just trying to contribute and idea to progress what I think is the best environment to learn about woodworking.