Chip separator

I'm using a single stage chip separator with my Ridgid Planer and a 1hp Jet dust collector - I'm using 4 inch hose, and no more than 4 feet in length.
I still get a lot of chips flying out of the front of the planer. If I connect the dust collector directly to the planer, with out the separator I eliminate the chips coming out of front, obviously I'm getting better suction with out the separator.
This article from Woodcraft shows elbows and piping attached to the top of the separator lid. Issue 55 shows a separator with a baffle. I guess my question is does a separator require a baffle of some sort, or would it perform any better with one.
Jiggs Elphison

http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=408

All that may be true but.... with my Rigid I seldom ever get chips out in front UNLESS there is some blockage in the "Chip Shoot" Take it off, open it up and see if there is a chunk lodged in the baffles. Seldom happens but when it does, it seems to really disrupt the air flow and the chips run amuck.

Check that out, especially if it used to rune okay but lately you notice more spillage. I hookup directly to the DC and only have flying chips when there is an obstruction. (Or I forget to check the DC bag and it gets too full :eek:)

When you say "Chip Separator" are you talking about one of those lid things on a garbage can?

If you are, then they generally reduce the airflow so much, that you have the problem you are describing.

Airflow, Cubic Feet Per Minute, CFM is what you need with a DC, Suction is not the ticket, CFM is. A bigger fan in a bigger blower, with a more powerful motor and a larger pipe will get you there. Right now to maximize the set up you have, make the runs as straight as possible, use as little flex hose as you can, and the flex hose that do use, try to get the stuff that is smooth on the inside.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

My 1HP collector with or without the seperator in the path (although in the path it puts quite a hit on the CFM) leaves chips at the front of my DW734 on thin stock. Planing stock over 1-1/2" on up doesn't seem to have the problem as much. Unrestricted entrance path maybe?

My dad's 2HP DC without a seperator doesn't leave a thing anywhere near his DW735 so you and I may just be running below the CFM or airspeed required for what we're doing. I have a 2HP cyclone sitting here waiting to go in (stealth gloat).

I pretty much have one of the worst case scenarios for Dust Collection.

I use all corrugated tubing and a trash can dust collector.

I've got a little bigger dust collector. I think 1.5 horse? Not sure. It's a dewalt with 2 4" inlets.

All that being said, I've got no complaints. It sucks the dust and keeps the air clean.

I keep it right by the garage door, just in case. I once had a capacitor on it go up in flames while it was running. I used to have the DC wedged in a corner, but after that, I keep it where I can get it out side in a hurry and doused with a fire extinguisher.

Nice stealth gloat Glenn :thumb:

Brent, great idea with the quick retreat:D

Jiggs, it is not all as simple as that, you need to think about this a bit, there is some figuring involved.

First, think of the blower on the DC as a pump, it pumps air, not water. Next, think of the air as something a lot more dense than we usually think it is, when it is compressed in a pump, it becomes a lot more dense.

If you take a motor and you attach it to a pump, then you try to get the motor to pump a lot more air than it can handle, the result is the motor will draw more and more amperage until the motor burns itself out, not a good thing.

There are a few things to consider; pipe size, pump size and motor capacity.

If you put a small motor with a small pump on a large pipe, the most likely result will be poor performance and a burnt up motor. All things have to be balanced for the system to work.

This is often shown in DC set ups that have a restriction plate on the inlet of the machine, they do not want you to pump too much air, as you will burn up the motor.

I would think that a 2hp unit with 6" pipes would be underpowered.

I run a large 2.2Kw motor, 3 phase with a 15" impeller (pump) and 6" pipes right to the machine, and I get good performance, I also run a cyclone separator.

Really, you should read >> Dust Collection Basics < on Bill Pentz's site. I know that Bill's pages are extensive and a lot to take in, but what I did was to print out things I wanted to read, and then read them away from the computer, I don't know why, but this seemed to work better for me :dunno:

I'm not sure how much you want to get into this, but for me, being in a hole in the ground, I decided that I should really spend the time and the money on a good DC set up, if you are in a fairly warm climate, and you can open up your windows and doors to get good airflow, maybe this is not such a big deal for you.

I know this may not have helped, I might have just muddied the water a bit more, but this is not a simple topic, with one answer. I'm just trying to point you in the right direction is all.

Keep the questions coming, I'll do my best to answer them, or try to help you find the answer.

Cheers! :wave:

Gawd I sure opened a can of worms.

Stuart I went to Bill Pentz's website - I'll spend the next several hours (or days) seeing if I can educate myself. There's a lot more to dust control than I thought.

I want to thank everyone for their input, I'll let you know if i come to a solution. Do you think that being 72 years old is to old to change hobbies, say like knitting?

Jiggs Elphison

...Do you think that being 72 years old is to old to change hobbies, say like knitting?...
Nah, 72 is way too old to start knitting. Your hands will cramp up worse than a swimmer in the pool 5 minutes after a big meal. :p Better stick with woodworking, where you can get commiseration from the rest of us old guys trying to figure it all out, too. :D

............Do you think that being 72 years old is to old to change hobbies, say like knitting?

Jiggs Elphison

What, are you nuts, them needles could put an eye out :eek:

It is not a really a big can of worms, I'm just trying to save you money, most guys get the DC thing right on the 3rd or 4th try.

You know your situation the very best, I'll not second guess you, I'm just wanting you to have as much info as possible, so you can make your own mind up.

Cheers! :thumb: