Traffic Jam!

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
When I moved way out in the desert, didn't think I'd have to worry about traffic jams anymore.

My wife and I went out for a little plinking in the desert about 5 minutes from the house, and on the way home ran into a huge traffic Jam! :eek:

traffic_jam_01.jpg

traffic_jam_02.jpg

traffic_jam_03.jpg

traffic_jam_04.jpg

:rofl:

Kind of reminds me of a story back when I was a kid. It's related because we had pastures on both sides of the road, so when my Grandfather said to bring in the cows I did. The problem was there was a bull among them.

So the cows start crossing the road, but as they do here comes a car. Well sorry, farming comes first. Well this one heifer stopped and sure enough, the bull proceeds to do what a bull is meant to do when on a dairy farm, if you catch my drift. Well he gets all done, the heifer lights up a cigarette, starts puffing away and then sunders out of the road.

I look at the car and there is these two old women in it with out of state plates with eyes as big as dinner plates. :eek: Yeah kind of like that. :)

As a Midwesterner I could never figure out what the strange iron grating on some freeway on-ramps was for during trips out West. Then I found out they were to trap cattle from being able to wander onto the freeway. That's something you never see back here and something you wouldn't even think of. Never ran into a cattle jam but I did get held up behind sheep crossing the road a couple times while living in Idaho.

Nah, Didn't help. They had about 10 Cowboys and CowGirls on horseback moving them along.

Technically, the property I live on is classed as 'Open Range', but I've never seen cows (Or signs of them) around my house. No water for them to drink.

Did have a problem with wild horses in 2007.

yardpests.jpg

Yup. That's my front 'yard'

they are fertilizing and mowing the lawn for free, not a bad deal.

The problem is, mowing and fertilizing is the Jackrabbits job. These guys were putting them out of business. The first year we were here, we didn't have to mow the lawn even once, thanks to the JackRabbit Landscaping service.

The horses aren't all that good at fertilizing. They tend to overfertilize in very small areas and ignore the rest of the yard. They're so sloppy they even try to fertilize the driveway. I then have to get a wheel barrow and shovel and clean up all of their handiwork.

The lady across the street was actually feeding them 2-3 times aday. At one point there were at least 50 of them hanging around... It can make for a lot of shoveling.

my grandmother used to tell me that when she was child, the women on the streets of the lower east side manhattan, used to chase the horses with a shovel to get the precious fertilizer for their gardens(ofcourse, this was like 1913 or 1914)

I did collect it and put it in a pile. Been adding to the pile with grass clippings and other stuff we've put through the chipper shredder.

Once it composts for a while, I'll throw it in the raised beds, maybe in a year or so. Could go faster if I turned things, but I'm kind of lazy that way...

...The lady across the street was actually feeding them 2-3 times aday. At one point there were at least 50 of them hanging around... It can make for a lot of shoveling.

That'd be my wife. She feels compelled to feed (or attempt to feed) anything that flies or has four legs. Horses would take her over the top, I suspect. :p

Don't even get me started on the Coyotes. They built a dog house type thing and put it out with food. I think there was a coyote with a damaged leg they were trying to help. The crows seemed to enjoy the kibble, but I never did see anything go in the dog house.

They've got good hearts I suppose, but It just didn't make sense, and kind of got out of hand with the horses. The weekend of the great roundup we sat on our porch with binoculars and watched the drama. Some folks managed to get the bulk of the herd penned in, and then they loaded them up in trailers and packed them off somewhere.

There were 4-5 sheriff vehicles out and about.

The neighborhood is down to 1 small herd of about 8 head wandering around, and a HUGE herd of mule deer out in the hay fields.

Brent, I don't see any trees around there. What do you do for lumber ??:huh:

Ship it in From North Carolina! :rofl:

It's harder for me to find green turning stock than Frank! :rofl:

But seriously, I am getting ready to order several hundred board feet. It's actually cheaper for me to do that than to get it at any of the places I've found around here.

Todays Sighting.

Went to the same place today. All the cows are safely penned up on the side of the road.

Coming out, There was a glider getting a tow up to altitude. The camera phone makes it look smaller than it was. They were really quite low at this point.

I love having a glider port in the neighborhood. I fly RC Gliders, and there's just something about the full size ones I really like. Maybe one of these days I'll go over there and see if I can get someone to take me up in one of them.glider.jpg