Thread: Help. Need an old bandsaw part!!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Help. Need an old bandsaw part!!

I was getting some noise out of my "no name" band saw and took the upper end apart. Found the tension block cracking where the upper wheel assembly pivot pins fit. You can see in the first photo where the pin fits into the tension block. It is pot metal and it just wore out or I got to heavy on tension knob sometime in the past. I don't know much about the machine as I bought it used 20 years ago, and it looked old then. Does anybody know where I might find used parts for my odd ball saw? I broke the trunnions when I first bought the machine (lifting it in the truck wrong) and found parts to an old Jet fit there but I'm not sure if all parts are interchangeable. Any and all input would be grateful.

Aloha,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8222 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	25843

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8223 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	25844
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

grizzly.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Yep, I bet that one of the imports units is the same thing, or you could just make one.....

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks Tod and Stu! Stu you're the last person I expected to be posting now. I figured you'd be playing with new toys in the dungeon Congratulations by the was.

If my dad was alive that is what he would have done... He was a welder for 40+ years and came up through the big depression.... Had to know that kind a stuff.

I did take a look at Jettools.com and looked at every 14" bandsaw manual they posted. Everyone of them had the same part # and looked just like mine
    The only difference is the new assembly as the tension knob on a longer shaft so you don't bang up the knuckles trying to de-tension the blade when you're through using the machine.

I'm going to check Grizzly's manuals too and see who is cheaper and maybe find one that may have quick de-tension lever assembly that will fit

Mahalo for the replies
    Aloha,

Hey Royall,

Stu is the most helpful kind of fella, even though he is way over in Japan. He's a real resourcfull guy too. If you notice the photos in "part 3" of his post, the back side of the saw he shows is one he built, just about from scratch. I think one of the other family members sent him a pair of bandsaw wheels and shafts and Stu built one heck of a saw around them. Do a search for Stu's "Phoenix" bandsaw build, and you can see this man's ability. Maybe Stuart can help locating the thread.

And Stu, the one machine I think you really need in the dungeon is a Mill/lathe. Then you'ld have a nice full shop, IMHO.

Oh, I am really envious of your latest aquisitions too. Use them in good health.

Royall, Check your PM's.

Aloha, Tony
    Last edited by Tony Baideme; 11-23-2008 at 07:04 AM.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Tod recommended Grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Tod recommended Grizzly?
    As a parts source for a broken piece of "pot metal"......

Well I started to buy the assembly from Jet for $50.00 and was filling out the shipping stuff and I couldn't get "Hawaii" into the little box for state..... they will only ship to the lower 48 I did a search on eBay and found one for $54.00 and free freight! Needless to say it should be on the way tomorrow That is if the seller doesn't back out of the free shipping because of Hawaii not being part of the USofA at least that is kind of what it sounds like when they say they ship free to the USA but not Alaska or Hawaii Oh, the trials and tribulation we who live in paradise have to endure

Aloha

PS. Thanks to everyone for the advise and input.
    Aloha,

Royall,

I quite agree with you on the problems with shipping to us out here. I usually just tell them to send an item in a "flat rate" box and it doesn't cost any more than to anywhere in the lower 48. Unfortunately, many sellers just prefer using UPS. They don't even know that the USPS can pick packages from a shipper just like UPS and postage can be taken care of online. Simpler, it can't get.

Glad you are getting your part.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.