Any Nova G3 Chuck Owners Out There?

Yep, have one; it was my only chuck for 2 years so it has had a lot of use and never given a bit of trouble. I don't thingk you can go wrong with one. Note that cheaper chucks often use tomy bars for tightening and loosening and they are a real pains as far as I am concerned; they are a poor way to save money!
Jerry

Last edited:
Ever frugal me :eek: went with the PSI GMC3 mini-chuck. Comes with jaws sets included. Lots less money. Uses tommy bars, which some don't like. Not a big problem, IMHO. Good value. Can recommend.

The G3 is a great chuck. It's the first one I bought, and it still gets a lot of use in my shop even though I now also have a SuperNova 2. It's excellent for a mini, and can still be providing service when you get something bigger.

I use a Barracuda from PSI on a Jet Mini and have had great results for a lot less $$. Lots of extra jaws, easy to use and it has a nice weight to it. It has handled everything from stoppers to HF to boxes with no complaints.

I'm looking at chucks for the new little lathe, I'm thinking of either getting a 1" to 1 1/4" adapter for the new little lathe, that way I can use all of my existing chucks, or get the PSI Barracuda :dunno: Nothing wrong with the G3 at all, just trying to be frugal like Frank :thumb:

What is a good price on a G3? What is list price? They have them on eBay for 119 bucks and free shipping. Good deal??? :huh:Also if you use MS search engine you can get another 25% off (rebate when also using PayPal) in 2 months! I don't know who here on FWW mentioned that but it has saved me a few buck on the last couple of purchases.:thumb: But anyway say, about, 95 bucks.... worth getting it now?:dunno:

I use the SN2 chuck and really like it, i did buy another set of jaws for it (spigot jaws) shortly after owning it. I think it came with 50mm expansion type jaws and i didnt like having to cut the angle in on the recess to use it.
In any case with the spigot jaws it will hold a pc of wood along way out without additional support which for me is good because i do alot of bowls and hollowing. The support the spigot jaws give is excellent in my opinion.
Actually i dont even use the other expansion jaws anymore......Dan

Sean my neighbor has one and just loves it. I have used the G3 when I showed him how to turn a lidded box. Works pretty well. I bought Vicmarcs and I am extremely happy with them.

I bought a G3 as a second chuck to my SN2. I have lots of jaws that are all interchangeable. If you move to a bigger lathe you will still get a lot of use out of the G3. The $119 price on Ebay with free shipping is an incredible price. Buy it. You won't be sorry.

Mike in Atlanta