Let's see your woodworking related Christmas gift ideas-Under $20.00

Jim O'Dell

You know it's that time of year again!! The loved ones and friends want to know what we want/like. If we get a good list here, we can print the thread, highlight the ones we like, and give to our family and friends for ideas.
So what do you like this year for 20.00 or under. If a sale price, please note where it can be purchased, local or online.

Gallon of Titebond II glue local home center
Gift certificate to your local woodworking store.
Specific book. For me, Mark Duginski's "The New Complete Guide to the Bandsaw" Amazon
Table saw micro adjuster (9.99 in current Rockler ad 67 off)
Safety power tool switch (17.99 in Rockler current ad 50% off)

Ok, put some other ideas out here!! Jim.

When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed that it was going to be about a gift that someone could make for under $20 and that was what I was going to answer. Others may think the thread is about that too, so I will give my answer anyway.

Many children of our friends seem to be having babies these days and we like to give each one a gift. I thought that it would be nice if I could make each one a personalized gift but did not want to spend a lot of time and money doing so. I ended up designing these simple shelves made from scrap pine with walnut letters and china knobs:

Set of three shelves for babies -small.JPG

The letters are $1.60 each at Lee Valley (catalogue 41K08A-B-C etc). The knobs are $1.90 each at Lee Valley (catalogue 00W53.01 through .05). I used all glued but joints augments with dowels (using my Dowelmax jig). The total cost for a shelf with typical 5 character name is just about $15.

Last edited:
I made a list of book I wanted, some from Taunton press, and a few others, a subscription to fine woodworking, and left it on my desk so my wife could find it and discuss it with my kids. (gotta give them a hint)