Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneway vs. SuperNova vs. Barracuda

Oneway vs. SuperNova vs. Barracuda

Hi Guys,

I imagine this one should generate a bit of discussion! I'm going to get my first chuck for Xmas and have narrowed it down to the Oneway Talon, Super Nova 2, or Barracuda 2. I'm new to the chuck world and am having a hard time deciding.

Criteria:
    1. I turn almost only bowls between 8 - 12". But, I am interested in doing some pepper shakers and hollow forms in the future.
    2. My current lathe has 1" 8TPI spindle. I plan on upgrading lathes before too long and want to be able to reuse my chuck.
    3. Basically no spindle work.

From Amazon:
    1. Barracuda 2 - $168
    2. Super Nova 2 - $184
    3. Oneway Talon - $230

The Super Nova and Talon are basically the same kit, they come with a single set of jaws (#2).

The Barracuda comes with 4 sets of jaws (#1 step jaws, #2 round jaws, #3 round jaws, and pin jaws).

I don't completely understand what all the different jaws mean and what each is used for? Does anyone have a good reference to this? Based on my work, would I use all the jaws that come with barracuda or would they just sit around while one set gets used?

I don't mind spending a bit of extra money for either the super nova or oneway (although the oneway is getting up there) as part of a good investment if there are significant reasons for them over the barracuda.

What are the recommendations?

Dawson, when ye said...."The Barracuda comes with 4 sets of jaws (#1 step jaws, #2 round jaws, #3 round jaws, and pin jaws).

I don't completely understand what all the different jaws mean and what each is used for? Does anyone have a good reference to this? Based on my work, would I use all the jaws that come with barracuda or would they just sit around while one set gets used?".....

Ye pretty much summed up the advantages of getting the 'cudda over the others. The jaws are different sizes, the pin is d'frnt shape also. Adds versatility to whatever ye want to hold.
    I have the new 'cudda 4 and find it stays on the lathe a great deal of the time it is so all-around handy. Also look at the big flat a/k/a Cole chuck, it really increases versatility for doing bowls.

I have a SuperNova2 (SN2) and a Barracuda2 (B2). The SN2 is better made than the B2 but you'll spend more money on the SN2 because you'll have to buy the jaws separately. I started out with the B2 and it works well but the limited selection of jaws eventually forced me to some other brand. The SN2 was on sale at that time and that's what I bought.

I don't know anything about the Oneway.

If you buy the B2 and treat it well, you can always sell it on eBay and get maybe 75% of your money back. It's a good starter chuck but you'll be forced to another one eventually if you really get involved with turning.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Frank, by the looks of it those jumbo cole jaws only open to 8". Does this mean that I can only use them on bowls up to 8" in width (at the rim)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Mossman View Post
    Frank, by the looks of it those jumbo cole jaws only open to 8". Does this mean that I can only use them on bowls up to 8" in width (at the rim)?
    No. But, reading your question confused me because I know it will hold larger. Your question is a very good one however. I went to the PSI web site and found the source of your confusion. The catalog description is not accurate. That 8" number represents the largest diameter the cole will hold with the jaws closed all the way. Actually, it would be closer to 8 1/4". (but who's picking nits?) With the jaws opened and the rubber grippers set to the outermost ring, it would hold much larger. I measured my jaws (in the closed position) on the bench for that 8 1/4" figure. Later, I'll screw them onto the chuck and open to get what the actual max is. PSI is probably hurting their sales of this item with that confusing 8" figure.

Frank, that is very interesting. The description on the site is very misleading based on what you're saying.

I'll be waiting for your post to see how large the jaws actually open up.

Just a guess here, but maybe PSI is stating the 8" max for safety reasons?

I look forward to you measurements too Frank. Thanks for taking the time to do it!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Cole jaws open

OK, here is a picture of my PSI flat/Cole jaws, mounted on the Barracuda 4 chuck. They are opened to max and the rubber grippers are mounted to the largest size. Opened, they will hold about a 10 1/4" diameter bowl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cole jaws.jpg  

Thanks Frank!

I wonder if the B4 that you have is larger diameter than the B2? I would guess so. Maybe that accounts for a larger spread as well? I think the catalog shows the specs on the sized, but I couldn't find it on the website...
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Thanks Frank!

I wonder if the B4 that you have is larger diameter than the B2? I would guess so. Maybe that accounts for a larger spread as well? I think the catalog shows the specs on the sized, but I couldn't find it on the website...
    The B2 is 3 1/2" dia., the B4 is 4 1/2" dia.
    Methinks the flat jaws could have extension plates added to increase capacity if someone were a wee bit clever.