Oneway vs. SuperNova vs. Barracuda

Hi Guys,

I imagine this one should generate a bit of discussion! I'm going to get my first chuck for Xmas and have narrowed it down to the Oneway Talon, Super Nova 2, or Barracuda 2. I'm new to the chuck world and am having a hard time deciding.

Criteria:
1. I turn almost only bowls between 8 - 12". But, I am interested in doing some pepper shakers and hollow forms in the future.
2. My current lathe has 1" 8TPI spindle. I plan on upgrading lathes before too long and want to be able to reuse my chuck.
3. Basically no spindle work.

From Amazon:
1. Barracuda 2 - $168
2. Super Nova 2 - $184
3. Oneway Talon - $230

The Super Nova and Talon are basically the same kit, they come with a single set of jaws (#2).

The Barracuda comes with 4 sets of jaws (#1 step jaws, #2 round jaws, #3 round jaws, and pin jaws).

I don't completely understand what all the different jaws mean and what each is used for? Does anyone have a good reference to this? Based on my work, would I use all the jaws that come with barracuda or would they just sit around while one set gets used?

I don't mind spending a bit of extra money for either the super nova or oneway (although the oneway is getting up there) as part of a good investment if there are significant reasons for them over the barracuda.

What are the recommendations?

Dawson, when ye said...."The Barracuda comes with 4 sets of jaws (#1 step jaws, #2 round jaws, #3 round jaws, and pin jaws).

I don't completely understand what all the different jaws mean and what each is used for? Does anyone have a good reference to this? Based on my work, would I use all the jaws that come with barracuda or would they just sit around while one set gets used?".....

Ye pretty much summed up the advantages of getting the 'cudda over the others. The jaws are different sizes, the pin is d'frnt shape also. Adds versatility to whatever ye want to hold.
I have the new 'cudda 4 and find it stays on the lathe a great deal of the time it is so all-around handy. Also look at the big flat a/k/a Cole chuck, it really increases versatility for doing bowls.

I have a SuperNova2 (SN2) and a Barracuda2 (B2). The SN2 is better made than the B2 but you'll spend more money on the SN2 because you'll have to buy the jaws separately. I started out with the B2 and it works well but the limited selection of jaws eventually forced me to some other brand. The SN2 was on sale at that time and that's what I bought.

I don't know anything about the Oneway.

If you buy the B2 and treat it well, you can always sell it on eBay and get maybe 75% of your money back. It's a good starter chuck but you'll be forced to another one eventually if you really get involved with turning.

Mike

Frank, by the looks of it those jumbo cole jaws only open to 8". Does this mean that I can only use them on bowls up to 8" in width (at the rim)?

Frank, by the looks of it those jumbo cole jaws only open to 8". Does this mean that I can only use them on bowls up to 8" in width (at the rim)?

No. But, reading your question confused me because I know it will hold larger. Your question is a very good one however. I went to the PSI web site and found the source of your confusion. The catalog description is not accurate. That 8" number represents the largest diameter the cole will hold with the jaws closed all the way. Actually, it would be closer to 8 1/4". (but who's picking nits?) With the jaws opened and the rubber grippers set to the outermost ring, it would hold much larger. I measured my jaws (in the closed position) on the bench for that 8 1/4" figure. Later, I'll screw them onto the chuck and open to get what the actual max is. PSI is probably hurting their sales of this item with that confusing 8" figure.

Frank, that is very interesting. The description on the site is very misleading based on what you're saying.

I'll be waiting for your post to see how large the jaws actually open up.

Just a guess here, but maybe PSI is stating the 8" max for safety reasons?

I look forward to you measurements too Frank. Thanks for taking the time to do it!

Cole jaws open

OK, here is a picture of my PSI flat/Cole jaws, mounted on the Barracuda 4 chuck. They are opened to max and the rubber grippers are mounted to the largest size. Opened, they will hold about a 10 1/4" diameter bowl.

Attachments

• cole jaws.jpg
    cole jaws.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 75
Thanks Frank!

I wonder if the B4 that you have is larger diameter than the B2? I would guess so. Maybe that accounts for a larger spread as well? I think the catalog shows the specs on the sized, but I couldn't find it on the website...

Thanks Frank!

I wonder if the B4 that you have is larger diameter than the B2? I would guess so. Maybe that accounts for a larger spread as well? I think the catalog shows the specs on the sized, but I couldn't find it on the website...

The B2 is 3 1/2" dia., the B4 is 4 1/2" dia.
Methinks the flat jaws could have extension plates added to increase capacity if someone were a wee bit clever.

The B2 is 3 1/2" dia., the B4 is 4 1/2" dia.
Methinks the flat jaws could have extension plates added to increase capacity if someone were a wee bit clever.
I suspect it'd be just as easy to make your own plates. But then again, for the same trouble (or even less) you could easily make a donut chuck that will be a lot more versatile and less likely to launch a bowl (virtually impossible).

Dawson, I've had the Barracuda 2, and I currently have a SuperNova 2. The Barracuda is a decent chuck but the fit and operation of the SuperNova is a bit nicer. Also, as Mike mentioned, there is a wider variety of jaws available for it. (And the Nova jaws are interchangeable between their different chuck models. I exchange jaws between my SN2 and G3 all the time.

Still, for the price, the Barracuda is a very good chuck that would give you a lot of service.

Regarding your question about having different jaw sets, as you turn different sizes and shapes of pieces, you'll find the need for different sizes and shapes of jaws. For example, chances are you would want one set of jaws to hold a 6" hollow form, and another set of smaller jaws to hold the small and dainty finial that goes on the hollow form.

My first chuck was the Oneway Talon. I picked up Vaughn's "old" Barracuda 2 when it went up for sale, and I like it just fine. I've never used a SuperNova 2, but the comments folks have made when comparing it to the Barracuda 2 also apply to the Talon.

Some things that you might find interesting:
  • The insert for the Talon is "double threaded" (if that's the correct term). You can spin it onto either a right-threaded inboard spindle or a left-threaded (outboard?) spindle.
  • The mesh of the "key" and the corresponding gear teeth is executed a little better on the Talon than on the Barracuda. When I go to cinch up the jaws, the key on the Barracuda wants to self-eject a little bit. I never get that with the Talon.

In the photos below, the Barracuda 2 is on the left, the Talon is on the right.

A540_1318_Barracuda2_Talon_Underneath.jpg

A540_1319_Barracuda2_Talon_Keys.jpg

• The Talon does have more available jaw designs, and more available insert adapters too. But watch your wallet!
  • The Barracuda is definitely a more economical way to get started. Like the Talon, you can buy the chuck body without any jaws or other accessories(for about $40 less than the full set) ... but you'd probably only want to do that after buying 2 or 3 full sets. :D
  • You can see the Talon in action on Bill Grumbine's first DVD about bowl turning. I bought the smaller Talon rather than the Oneway Stronghold chuck because I have a Delta Midi ... but Bill has a "real" lathe and turns "real" bowls. :rolleyes: (I wouldn't be surprised if he has at least one of every chuck out there. He can't use 'em all on one DVD!)

Last edited:
Oops! I just re-read your original post, and noticed what could be a deal breaker for the Barracuda 2:

2. My current lathe has 1" 8TPI spindle. I plan on upgrading lathes before too long and want to be able to reuse my chuck.

As far as I know, the B2 will ony fit two spindle sizes: 1" x 8tpi and 3/4" x 16tpi. The SN2 (I assume) and the Talon accept a wider variety of inserts.

A search for "oneway talon" on eBay turned up a few offerings from what appear to be reputable Oneway dealers. One is offering the usual chuck package WITH the spindle adaptor for $216. Another has the chuck with 3 sets of jaws for $300. I think I'll pull the trigger on a "Body Only" Talon for $157.50. (I have a few extra jaw sets that are sitting unused.)

====

HOLD EVERYTHING! A Google search turned up [THIS PAGE] at Hartville Tool. They have the Talon on sale for $200 and are throwing in a #1 Spigot Jaw set for free! (You do have to buy the spindle adaptor separately, for $25 ... but that's still a good deal.)

They also have the "Body Only" for $129 (plus spindle adaptor). I have ordered from Hartville before ... and I just did it again!

Oops! I just re-read your original post, and noticed what could be a deal breaker for the Barracuda 2:

As far as I know, the B2 will ony fit two spindle sizes: 1" x 8tpi and 3/4" x 16tpi. The SN2 (I assume) and the Talon accept a wider variety of inserts.

A search for "oneway talon" on eBay turned up a few offerings from what appear to be reputable Oneway dealers. One is offering the usual chuck package WITH the spindle adaptor for $216. Another has the chuck with 3 sets of jaws for $300. I think I'll pull the trigger on a "Body Only" Talon for $157.50. (I have a few extra jaw sets that are sitting unused.)

====

HOLD EVERYTHING! A Google search turned up [THIS PAGE] at Hartville Tool. They have the Talon on sale for $200 and are throwing in a #1 Spigot Jaw set for free! (You do have to buy the spindle adaptor separately, for $25 ... but that's still a good deal.)

They also have the "Body Only" for $129 (plus spindle adaptor). I have ordered from Hartville before ... and I just did it again!

Adapters are available to fit almost anything to almost anything else. The Oneways/Novas/etc. run about $45.00 to $60.00 each. The PSIs are about $15.00 to $20.00 each. I had one custom made by a machinist before I knew this at a cost of $40.00. I like the $15.00 variety more better and that is what I now use.

Adapters are available to fit almost anything to almost anything else. The Oneways/Novas/etc. run about $45.00 to $60.00 each. The PSIs are about $15.00 to $20.00 each. I had one custom made by a machinist before I knew this at a cost of $40.00. I like the $15.00 variety more better and that is what I now use.

Tried three of cheapo PSI inserts, none of them ran true.

Those adapters you show worked well for me, the only problem is having the work further away from the headstock can cause trouble for some.

I looked on PSI's site, they no longer carry the inserts I was speaking of.
126601tmb.jpg

Where are you seeing $45 to $60 adaptors? :rolleyes: The Nova thread inserts are $22 from CSUSA, and I've seen the lower than that on eBay. CSUSA has the insert for the Stronghold chuck for $30. That's just looking at one site. I'm sure there are others.

After some more searching, I've found the following on Ebay (all of them include the insert) ... what do you guys think is the best overall deal?

Nova G3 - $120 ... this seems like a pretty good deal. My current lathe has a maximum swing of 12" so it looks like this might be a solid piece of equipment that would get me off to a good start and then I could get another (SN2) later when I upgrade.

Is the G3 and the woodworm screw solid enough to use with a 12" blank that came right from the chainsaw? Or do most of you bypass the wordworm screw and just use a faceplate for initial turning?

Any other limitations of the G3 compared to the SN? Is it just as easy to use and same features?

SN2 with standard 2" jaws - $179 - not bad including the insert.

SN2 with standard 2" jaws and 4" powergrip jaw - $214

SN2 with standard 2" jaws and 45mm spigot jaw - $204

Thanks again!