Oneway vs. SuperNova vs. Barracuda

Any other limitations of the G3 compared to the SN? Is it just as easy to use and same features?
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/downloads/Min-Max%20Ranges%20Jaw%20Table%20(inch)Sep06.pdf

Some of the larger jaws are not recommended on G3. They have the same range. G3 uses a geared key with open back and SN2 uses a ball end hex key, has a close back.

If you use "Live Search" on EBay with BuyItNow and PayPal; you will get 25% cash back from Microsoft in 60 days.
http://search.live.com/cashback
To get the cash back, you have to follow the instructions. Therefore YMMV.

To add to what Gordon mentioned, the geared key on the G3 is not quite as easy to use as the ball-end hex key on the SN2. Not bad, but not as easy. I've turned pieces bigger than 12" with the G3, but the SN is beefier. I'm not a big fan of the wormwood screw (on either the Novas or the Barracuda) for pieces in the 12" size range. May be user error on my part, but I've had some slipping (or hole-stripping) problems when roughing big pieces of green wood. I've got some 2 1/2" and 3" faceplates that I prefer to use for that type of stuff.

Also, if you're looking on eBay, I can highly recommend the seller named rg_woodworker_specialties. Bob's a good guy with good prices and service.

A Vote for SN2

I had the chance to teach a bowl turning class at Woodcraft here in Grand Rapids, MI (I work there). I had never used a SN2 prior to that, but it did a great job, and the hex key one handed action was excellent. I even had a set of large Cole jaws installed on one, and it held the bowls like a champ. My vote is definitely for the Super Nova 2, because the cost is much less than the Oneway as it is also on sale in Dec. for $147. (No, this is not insider info. I just got my Woodcraft sales flyer in the mail.)

Hutch

P.S. I currently use a Vicmarc, so really my first vote is for that chuck. However, the cost of the SuperNova is unbeatable. In fact, I probably will be purchasing one myself.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I've finally made my mind up on the SN2. Haven't heard anything bad about that one and it should last me for years and upgrades to come :)

Now I just need to find the absolute best price! Matt, do you know when the Woodcraft goes on sale? Is it dec 1?

Vaughn, thanks for the info on Bob (woodworker specialities), that is actually the fellow I was looking at on ebay. Good to know he's reliable.

I had the chance to teach a bowl turning class at Woodcraft here in Grand Rapids, MI (I work there). I had never used a SN2 prior to that, but it did a great job, and the hex key one handed action was excellent. I even had a set of large Cole jaws installed on one, and it held the bowls like a champ. My vote is definitely for the Super Nova 2, because the cost is much less than the Oneway as it is also on sale in Dec. for $147. (No, this is not insider info. I just got my Woodcraft sales flyer in the mail.)

Hutch

P.S. I currently use a Vicmarc, so really my first vote is for that chuck. However, the cost of the SuperNova is unbeatable. In fact, I probably will be purchasing one myself.
For that price, I should sell my Barracuda2 and get a SN2 body. I have a lot of SN2 jaws but can't use them on the Barracuda2.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Mike

Not sure, but that $147 probably does not include the insert which runs about another $20. Still a total of $167 is pretty good!

I just bought one tonight from Bob @ woodworker specialities ... can't wait to try it out!

I got two Pinnacle chucks from Woodcraft with a couple of different sized jaws and still didnt spend as much as you will on any of those three. I have been quite satisfied with the perfomance of them too

Just to throw my $.02 in, I have the original Nova, a G3, a Midi Compact, and one of the now defunct Compacts. The G3 is great. the original and the Midi are great too except that they use tommy bars. The G3 uses a large Jacobs type key and really clamps to the wood well. I also have one of the Baracuda chucks. Its key is a square drive. I have no problem with it gripping. In fact, I have it gripping a metal pin chuck right now. Talking about rock solid! I am really happy with it. Add in that it comes with 3 or 4 sets of jaws and you really get a good deal for your money. I would not order it from PSI though. Get the number from the PSI catalog and order it from Woodturningz. They have better customer service and prices.

Instead of how many jaws included a chuck body that you always have to switch jaws, I would go with a different thinking. It is always handy to have different jaws on dedicated chuck.
Get couple original Nova chucks for $50 each and buy an optional set of jaws. Two chucks would make fitting box lids a luxury set up.
http://www.timstoolcrib.com/products.php
This is the original Nova direct threaded chuck and doesn't come with woodworm screw. You can't switch out the insert when you upgrade to a larger lathe that has different spindle. It uses two wrenches, but it is faster acting than the single key. If you can learn to use the tailstock as your third hand, it is not as bad. The new Vicmarc chucks can have two tommy bars option.

I have a new SN2 that was produced in China. It's tolerances are as good or better than my G3 that was built in New Zealand. Fit in finish between the 2 are just as good. I really don't care where something is made as long as their QC department does what needs to be done and the product does as I expect. It is my understanding that the plant is 100% owned by Teknatool and is a ISO9001 facility, as stated here. http://www.teknatool.com/About Us.htm

I use to be one that worried about country of origin on the products I purchased. Over the years I discovered that I got junk from many countries including the USA, and have found that the company and the service/support network is more important than country of origin.

Good Luck

Alan

Yes they moved their factory to China, and yes, some of the products that came out of the new factory, at first, were not the best, but I think you could say that for most any new factory, it does take time to get a factory set up and running, and to get the right people in the right spots to do the right job. Recently, I've NOT heard of any really bad horror stories about products coming from their new factory.

I had a VERY minor gripe with one set of jaws I got from them, one of the counter sunk holes that the screws go into was just a hair undersized, so the screw would not easily come out again, I did remove the screw, and used the correctly sized drill bit on my drill press to make the hole slightly larger. This is nothing that you could see by looking at it, it would have to be tested, and NO company tests every single little thing like that.

I'll also note that I bought some Oneway bowl rests, they are solid stainless steel and should outlast me. The welds, while good and solid are UGLY, they look VERY poor, and for the price of the rests and the reputation of the company, I would have thought they would do a better job :dunno:

Cheers! :wave:

...I'll also note that I bought some Oneway bowl rests, they are solid stainless steel and should outlast me. The welds, while good and solid are UGLY, they look VERY poor, and for the price of the rests and the reputation of the company, I would have thought they would do a better job :dunno:

Cheers! :wave:

I also noticed the same thing on my Oneway bowl rest. Beefy welds, but they sure weren't the quality I would have expected from Oneway. I like the rest, though, and I'll be buying the other one when the shop budget catches back up.

Where something is made is irrelevant.
I went to China couple years ago. Some of the "Class A" counterfeits were very high quality. They are much better than the regular non-counterfeit items at the local stores. I would like to find some good quality leather goods without the brand name for my wife. I think it would be tacky to holding an European designer bag looking for bargains at Wal-Mart and Home Depot; and the hassle going through custom. The "Class A" counterfeits were more expensive than the regular stuff, but at about 10% (if you know how to bargain and doesn't look like a tourist) the price of the real thing.
The counterfeits all came from small underground facilities. The only difference is how much they sell for. The "Class C" are junks, but they are very cheap.

I think that is true everywhere. Not every turning from Chicago from Vietnamese American is as good as those coming from Binh Pho's Studio.

Nova G3

I would also consider the Nova G3. It is a somewhat smaller chuck than the SN2 but uses the same jaws and will hold a 12" bowl with no problem. It is available on eBay for $119 with free shipping. This is a great deal compared to other vendors.