Latest stuff

Haven't posted any projects in a while, still doing them, just to busy to set up the tent and take the pictures. The first is segmented walnut with 3 carved cherry feet. It's about a foot tall and a foot wide. What's it for, you ask? I dunno:dunno:. Thats just how it came out:). I'll let you guess on the next 2 pieces as to what kind of wood they are (the fruit bowl and the no-bark NE.) Hint; it's not native to the US but a common landscape tree here in the southwest. I've never heard of anyone turning it before, don't know why, it's awsome to work with. They are both about 12"x5". And the last NE is a side-of-the-road Eucalyptus of some sort. I was also surprised at how well it turned, Euc' is usually ornery. Peace! Barry

Attachments

• 3 leg bowl1.jpg
    3 leg bowl1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 31
  • 3 leg bowl2.jpg
    3 leg bowl2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 23
  • fruit bowl1.jpg
    fruit bowl1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 38
  • fruit bowl 2.jpg
    fruit bowl 2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 37
  • NE1.jpg
    NE1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 42
  • NE2.jpg
    NE2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 24
  • NE eucy bowl.jpg
    NE eucy bowl.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 33
Barry,

Nice stuff. How'd you get a piece of Euc. finished without it cracking here in AZ? Ornery is a mild way of putting it. Any special drying techniques used? I think I know the other wood but I'll let you tell everyone since it's your post.

Ken

That's some awesome work. I really like that no-bark NE. The wood is awesome and I really like the foot you put on it.

I have no idea what the mystery woods are except beautiful. :thumb:

Thanks for the comments all!
Any special drying techniques used?
Ken, I just do the usual; turn rough, put it in a paper bag or cardboard box with the shavings, and wait a few weeks to finish turn. I've tried turning Red Gum Euc. before; it is much more unstable, but this chunk was a different variety (It came from the I-10 road widening project out here in the west valley.):)

As far as the mystery wood; it is Acacia Willow. It's a common landscape tree for desert climates (native to Australia). This one came from a wind storm blow-down. I think the wood gets no respect around here cause it's not a good firewood. It's very similar to native willow-just a nicer color; very wet and heavy when green, rather light when dry, even smells like willow (urea). It is very stable, doesn't move or crack much when drying, turns and finishes nicely, and is a tough, rather that brittle wood. Both of the pieces came off the chuck while turning, and they just bounced on the concrete floor:D Don't know if it grows in SoCAL or not. Barry