Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: i-Carver

i-Carver

OK, I thought I'd start a new thread about this little machine, I'm going to be "Field Testing" it for Geetech from Taiwan.

If you would like to know how this came about, check out >> This Thread <<

Here is the info sheet from the company, that they were handing out at the trade show.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i_carver_info_sheet.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	25907
    This is a pre-production model, a mule to be worked so they can find out what works and what does not work. Judging from the samples at the show, it works quite well already.

Name:	i-carver_on_decent.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	25908
    Once I got it home, I had my buddy Jake come over and give me a hand unloading it, and then it started it's decent into the Dungeon.

Name:	i-carver_on_worktable2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	25909 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-carver_on_worktable1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	25910
    Here it is setting on my worktable in the center of the shop, it will remain here, until I clear a spot out for it.

Name:	i-carver_tool_edit1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	25911 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-carver_tool_edit2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	25912
    I was asked about the motor and such, I'm not up on this tool yet, but here are a couple of screen captures from the CAD soft that comes with, the software is by www.type3.com

Name:	i-carver_motor.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	25913
    Here is the motor, I thought it would be more robust, but really, it is one solid little motor, and spinning at 30K rpm, well I'm sure it cuts just fine

Name:	i-carver_guts2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	25914
    This is the guts of the machine, I blurred stuff out, as I'm not sure what is for public viewing or not, I do not want to upset the fine folks at Geetech there is a fan at the back of the case and one on top, there is a filter on the intake fan, but as you can see, even after only moderate use at the trade show, there was a fair bit of dust in the machine.

Name:	i-carver_intake_fan_filter.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	25915 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-carver_intake_filter_removed.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	25916
    Here is the intake fan, and the same fan with the filter removed, I can put some much better filter material in there, as well as seal up the case in other places.

Well that is it for now, I expect to hear back from Geetech soon, so they can give me a "Quick Start Guide"

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Trying that out should be an interesting project. Yer going to need to dig a new dungeon soon with all that new equipment.

Can't wait to see this one as well.

Whats the max width of a board you can fit in there?
    I guess it will be sold in the states? price yet?
    What keeps the board down?

sorry, maybe I should wait until you use it first. lol
    Rise above the rest

There is a clamping bar that holds the board down.

Max size is 381mm x 508mm x 101.6mm or 15" x 20" x 4"..........

Gee think they are aiming for the US market

The guy told me that realistically, they are looking at another 3 years until they will be widely available. This project was started from the ground up, from the idea, to what we see now. Who knows what the final product will look like, I imagine it will be quite different from what I have in the Dungeon. One thing that was already brought up was to have the console (the red bit on the side) on a cable and separate from the platform where the carving is done, this would make the footprint smaller, and keep the computer away from the dust and vibration.

I'm really still very much in the dark about how to use it, they are going to send me a "Quick Start Guide" I hope that comes soon, as I'm eager to get at it.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    There is a clamping bar that holds the board down.

Max size is 381mm x 508mm x 101.6mm or 15" x 20" x 4"..........

Cheers!
    so 15 wide, but 20" long?? I am guessing that if you have a 4 foot board you can move the board and cut some more? Since the router moves and not the board that would limit the length unless you can line up exactly a continuous carve. I know on the CW that the board moves so you can have a very long piece and continuous carve as long as you support the board.

Guess I should really wait until you get instructions and actually use the machine. ....wait....didn't I say that in the first post.
    Rise above the rest

I got the platform cleaned off, where I'm going to put the iCarver.

Name:	i_carver_platform_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	25972 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i_carver_platform_2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	25973

I got my youngest daughter to help me out, I put the wood, turning blanks, in the Dungeon Annex, I cleared a spot, and put up a shelf, and boy did I fill it

Name:	wood_new_stack.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	25974

The platform is right around 130cm x 130 cm (51" x 51") and the iCarver is 90cm x 90cm (35" x 35") which will give me a good foot and a bit on the side and at the back of the unit.

I'm thinking that I'll build some sort of an enclosure around it, to keep the noise down, and the dust under control too, as well as keeping the piles of curlies off the iCarver when I dig out the Ci1 Easy Rougher.

I got an E-mail back from Geetech, they are sending me a video and printed manual on the iCarver. I also found out that I'm the first field tester of the iCarver

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

that is awesome Stu,

if you enclose the iCarver (iC) are you going to have to find a way to keep it cool? I know the Carvewrights (CW) ran very hot but it looks like yours is more like a router. The CW was one dusty machine but the iC looks like its more open where a box with DC would work great.

If they ever need an overseas field tester, let me know!
    Rise above the rest

Thanks Aaron

I'm also looking at putting a shopvac type of hose right at the machine head to get the dust. Also a buddy on another board, TWW, uses some long bristles on his overhead TS guard, I thought a bunch of these around the head of the iCarver with a vacuum cleaner hose attached would do the trick........

Name:	PB050012.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	25979

You can see Alan's thread about it >> HERE <<

I think with a good quality swivel joint on the hose, I could just leave it attached, through the top of the enclosure, then just plug in the shop vac when I run the thing.

I thought of mounting the bristles on a stick, or 4 sticks, and using rare earth magnets to hold them in place. I'd have to check with Geetech first to see if that would be OK or not, would not want the rare earth magnets so screw up the machine somehow

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Yep, first thought, magnets near a computer or computer chip??
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

The brush bristle idea is a good one as it contains the debris so it can be sucked up. Otherwise the centrifugal force of the cutter slings it away from the suction area.

It was recommended to me, and I used, a door sweep brush. I found it at the big borg store in the door department. I think it is intended to keep debris from blowing in under screen doors and such. Wasn't very expensive.

Gee, I wonder if they would like someone in the USA who has used a similar machine, is familiar with CAM programming, and also has English writing skills, to test another one for them?