i-Carver

Stuart Ablett

OK, I thought I'd start a new thread about this little machine, I'm going to be "Field Testing" it for Geetech from Taiwan.

If you would like to know how this came about, check out >> This Thread << :thumb:

Here is the info sheet from the company, that they were handing out at the trade show.......

i_carver_info_sheet.jpg
This is a pre-production model, a mule to be worked so they can find out what works and what does not work. Judging from the samples at the show, it works quite well already.

i-carver_on_decent.jpg
Once I got it home, I had my buddy Jake come over and give me a hand unloading it, and then it started it's decent into the Dungeon.

i-carver_on_worktable2.jpg i-carver_on_worktable1.jpg
Here it is setting on my worktable in the center of the shop, it will remain here, until I clear a spot out for it.

i-carver_tool_edit1.jpg i-carver_tool_edit2.jpg
I was asked about the motor and such, I'm not up on this tool yet, but here are a couple of screen captures from the CAD soft that comes with, the software is by www.type3.com

i-carver_motor.jpg
Here is the motor, I thought it would be more robust, but really, it is one solid little motor, and spinning at 30K rpm, well I'm sure it cuts just fine :thumb:

i-carver_guts2.jpg
This is the guts of the machine, I blurred stuff out, as I'm not sure what is for public viewing or not, I do not want to upset the fine folks at Geetech :D there is a fan at the back of the case and one on top, there is a filter on the intake fan, but as you can see, even after only moderate use at the trade show, there was a fair bit of dust in the machine.

i-carver_intake_fan_filter.jpg i-carver_intake_filter_removed.jpg
Here is the intake fan, and the same fan with the filter removed, I can put some much better filter material in there, as well as seal up the case in other places.

Well that is it for now, I expect to hear back from Geetech soon, so they can give me a "Quick Start Guide"

Cheers!

Can't wait to see this one as well.

Whats the max width of a board you can fit in there?
I guess it will be sold in the states? price yet?
What keeps the board down?

sorry, maybe I should wait until you use it first. lol :D

There is a clamping bar that holds the board down.

Max size is 381mm x 508mm x 101.6mm or 15" x 20" x 4"..........

Gee think they are aiming for the US market :huh: :dunno: :rolleyes: :D

The guy told me that realistically, they are looking at another 3 years until they will be widely available. This project was started from the ground up, from the idea, to what we see now. Who knows what the final product will look like, I imagine it will be quite different from what I have in the Dungeon. One thing that was already brought up was to have the console (the red bit on the side) on a cable and separate from the platform where the carving is done, this would make the footprint smaller, and keep the computer away from the dust and vibration.

I'm really still very much in the dark about how to use it, they are going to send me a "Quick Start Guide" I hope that comes soon, as I'm eager to get at it.

Cheers!

There is a clamping bar that holds the board down.

Max size is 381mm x 508mm x 101.6mm or 15" x 20" x 4"..........

Cheers!

so 15 wide, but 20" long?? I am guessing that if you have a 4 foot board you can move the board and cut some more? Since the router moves and not the board that would limit the length unless you can line up exactly a continuous carve. I know on the CW that the board moves so you can have a very long piece and continuous carve as long as you support the board.

Guess I should really wait until you get instructions and actually use the machine. ....wait....didn't I say that in the first post. :rofl:

I got the platform cleaned off, where I'm going to put the iCarver.

i_carver_platform_1.jpg i_carver_platform_2.jpg

I got my youngest daughter to help me out, I put the wood, turning blanks, in the Dungeon Annex, I cleared a spot, and put up a shelf, and boy did I fill it :D
wood_new_stack.jpg

The platform is right around 130cm x 130 cm (51" x 51") and the iCarver is 90cm x 90cm (35" x 35") which will give me a good foot and a bit on the side and at the back of the unit.

I'm thinking that I'll build some sort of an enclosure around it, to keep the noise down, and the dust under control too, as well as keeping the piles of curlies off the iCarver when I dig out the Ci1 Easy Rougher. :rolleyes: :D

I got an E-mail back from Geetech, they are sending me a video and printed manual on the iCarver. I also found out that I'm the first field tester of the iCarver :thumb:

Cheers!

that is awesome Stu,

if you enclose the iCarver (iC) are you going to have to find a way to keep it cool? I know the Carvewrights (CW) ran very hot but it looks like yours is more like a router. The CW was one dusty machine but the iC looks like its more open where a box with DC would work great.

If they ever need an overseas field tester, let me know!:D

Thanks Aaron

I'm also looking at putting a shopvac type of hose right at the machine head to get the dust. Also a buddy on another board, TWW, uses some long bristles on his overhead TS guard, I thought a bunch of these around the head of the iCarver with a vacuum cleaner hose attached would do the trick........

PB050012.JPG

You can see Alan's thread about it >> HERE <<

I think with a good quality swivel joint on the hose, I could just leave it attached, through the top of the enclosure, then just plug in the shop vac when I run the thing.

I thought of mounting the bristles on a stick, or 4 sticks, and using rare earth magnets to hold them in place. I'd have to check with Geetech first to see if that would be OK or not, would not want the rare earth magnets so screw up the machine somehow :huh:

Cheers!

The brush bristle idea is a good one as it contains the debris so it can be sucked up. Otherwise the centrifugal force of the cutter slings it away from the suction area.

It was recommended to me, and I used, a door sweep brush. I found it at the big borg store in the door department. I think it is intended to keep debris from blowing in under screen doors and such. Wasn't very expensive.

Gee, I wonder if they would like someone in the USA who has used a similar machine, is familiar with CAM programming, and also has English writing skills, to test another one for them? :rolleyes: :thumb: :D

You might check with them to see if they already have an attachment or will make one to accomodate you. McMaster-Carr sells a metal backed brush strip that might work as well.

I built one for mine and cut the bristles from a brush and glued them in. Sorry, no pics of it mounted, but here is the block being cut. One large hole for the cutter head and one for the hose.

Yep, first thought, magnets near a computer or computer chip??:eek::eek:

Well, the computer is not really close to the carving head, so I don't think it would be a problem, but I was looking at it just now, and the part that the bristles would be mounted to is a solid chunk of aluminum, so magnets are out, but I bet I could drill and tap some holes.

The brush bristle idea is a good one as it contains the debris so it can be sucked up. Otherwise the centrifugal force of the cutter slings it away from the suction area.

It was recommended to me, and I used, a door sweep brush. I found it at the big borg store in the door department. I think it is intended to keep debris from blowing in under screen doors and such. Wasn't very expensive.

Gee, I wonder if they would like someone in the USA who has used a similar machine, is familiar with CAM programming, and also has English writing skills, to test another one for them? :rolleyes: :thumb: :D

Thanks for the info Carol, and if it ever comes up, I'll introduce you :) They are telling me they are looking at having a production unit ready for the DIY show in August of 2009 here in Japan.

You might check with them to see if they already have an attachment or will make one to accomodate you. McMaster-Carr sells a metal backed brush strip that might work as well.

I built one for mine and cut the bristles from a brush and glued them in. Sorry, no pics of it mounted, but here is the block being cut. One large hole for the cutter head and one for the hose.

Thanks for the info Darren, and you shopbuilt unit is very impressive :thumb:

The main software is something called "Type-3" which is a CAD/CAM software, they seem to have their own covnverter of some sort, I've not figured it out yet :huh:

I think..........."Think" he said they were shooting for the $3000 price range, but I could be wrong about that, also, depending on if and who they team up with, it may be cheaper, for example if companies like Makita or Ryobi get involved, they could move a lot of units world wide, so the price could be cheaper, but that is all really just speculation at this point. :dunno:

OK, I got the iCarver moved over to it's new home :D

i-carver_in_place_1.jpg i-carver_in_place_2.jpg
I think it fits pretty good :thumb:

i-carver_lathe.jpg
I will say that in relation to the lathe, it will need some kind of enclosure when I get things going, as the lathe, especially when roughing out, spits a lot of curlies into the new iCarver area.

Now I'm just waiting for the "How To" video and manual to come from Taiwan.

Cheers!

This is kinda/sorta related.
I believe that the next few years will bring a whole slew of CNC machines onto the market for home and small shop use.
My daughter-in-law just bought a CriCut machine for herself. This device is about the size and appearance of a small computer printer. But, it cuts shapes and designs from paper for use in decorating or scrapbooking. It was marked down 50% to about $150.00. Cartridges are about $80.00 each.
Methinks the next generation of these will be less costly and will allow designs to be uploaded from ones computer.
Similarly we will probably (a Frank prediction) see more versions of the Carvewrite and iCarver at affordable prices.
Next step? We won't be needed. Let the machines do it all. :eek:

I actually built a machine like this out of mdf, gas pipes, threaded rod and a lot of patience.

there's actually a free set of plans out on the net to make one like mine, or you can purchase plans and a kit from a guy named Joe that will allow you to build a machine capable of cutting up to 4'x4' fast and accurately... the total cost to build the big one is around $2500-$3000 total, including software, all the electronics and everything else you'd need.

Mine cost a little over $800 for everything, not including the software. The main application that runs it was free (linux based), but the application that I use to easilly program my patterns set me back an additional $600 (which I'll use with any future machines I build)

if you'd like to see pics of my setup (no where near as polished as the iCarver :), they're over at:

http://www.whataride.net/gallery/main.php/v/WoodShop/cnc/

pics of some of the pieces I've cut on it are at:

http://www.whataride.net/gallery/main.php/v/WoodShop/projects/

having a machine like this will never replace a skilled woodworker, there's just too much else that goes into a finished project... especially joinery.... but it certainly allows you to achieve things that you may not be able to do any other way... or at least make life easier (if you look at my pics you'll see the top to a dogbowl table that I built, it's out of 1/2" corian and has 2 7-1/8" holes cut in the top. total time to set that up and run it on the cnc was about 20 minutes. I don't think I could have set my circle cutting jig up that quickly ;)

-J