i-Carver

I'll be interested to see what the software is capable of. In general, will it do more than just run the machine? Or does it include software that will render drawings/pictures in to cnc readable files (like http://www.vectric.com/ )?

That's exactly what I use... I use VCarvePro from Vectric to make my designs.

There's 2 parts to the software needed to do cncing.

The most important part is the machine controller. It takes a "program" and tells the machine what directions to move and how fast. The most popular pogramming language is called 'gcode'... and the 2 most popular control applications are Mach3 (windows based, not sure how much it costs, maybe $150-$200) and EMC2 (linux based, free, source-code provided etc). I use EMC2 as my day job is working with Linux, Unix and other open-source applications.

The second part is something to transform files into gcode (or whatever programming language your machine uses). VCarvePro works really well for me and was extremely easy to learn how to use. It was well worth the $600 I spent on the license, probably even more so for the level of productivity that I've been able to achive (not to even mention the results which have been better than my wildest dreams for something that i built in the shop out of mdf :)

Typically if you buy a CNC, you get some kind of software app with it, and usually it does the functions of #1 and #2, if you're building your own, you really don't get that luxury.

oh, I just realized that I don't have any pics of my dust collection setup for the cnc on my photo page, I'll upload a few in a few minutes. Dust collection is key for this as my router is usually making fine dust. I still need to ad a skirt around the base of it, but for now it works good enough.

we could start a new thread somewhere if people want to talk about building a cnc or operating a cnc, I'm not an expert (though I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night ;) ), but I don't want to threadjack either.

-J

Jason, VERY cool machine you have built, and don't worry about any kind of hijack, most threads I do tend to wander a bit here and there, and I'm the WORST culprit :eek:

Cheers!

Well, I finally got the iCarver working, it would not work, and myself and the Geetech guys were burning up the e-mail lines trying to figure it out.

Took things apart, checked connections but no dice :huh: :dunno:

I finally decided that for some reason, the flash memory stick I have, was somehow just not compatible with the machine. I went and got a new flash memory stick today, put the files on the new stick, and the iCarver read the files no problem at all :thumb:

Boy was I a happy camper :D

madonna_just_done.jpg
Here it is just off the iCarver, it is a bit fuzzy, the wood is just some junky pine I had, and the picture is quite detailed, for such a small scale.

madonna_cleaned_up.jpg madonna_size.jpg
I just took an awl, and cleaned things up a bit, also some rulers for a size comparison. It is about 2 1/4" x 3 1/2" and maybe a 1/4" deep at the deepest point.

madonna_on_iCarver.jpg madonna_iCarver_close_up.jpg

And a shot of the Madonna carving on the iCarver, I took a couple of videos as well, short ones, I'll load them up on to my YouTube account later.

Cheers!

Another nail on any carver coffin:(

Although I think that it will take a while still...:)

Do not get me wrong, I'm glad for you Stu, and I can see the hundreds of possibilities that machine has and the joy it will bring to you but I can't help thinking that those machines and others help to kill many crafts that are dissapearing and what is almost worse, people that do not know about carving would think that they are made by hand.

On the contrary I still have the hope that there will always someone that will appreciate a hand made piece as in furniture, forging, enameling, glass blowing and many others, but.... will there remain any craftsman able to do it?:dunno:

I hear you Toni, but I think that these kinds of machines will only replace the copying of original work, much like the Bandsaw/tablesaw/jointer/planers replaced a whole army of apprentice wood workers who used to prepare stock for the journeymen to use.

You cannot make anything original on these machines, well not easily, they excel at taking something that has been hand crafted and copying it, but no matter how good they get, they will still only be copies.

Just like the manufacture of "Buggy Whips" have gone by the wayside, the army of hand carvers is also over, but there will always be a few very talented pros, and lots of talented hobbyists, like yourself, who will continue with the art.

Cheers! :wave:

That machine does what my Terrco duplicator is (supposedly) designed to do with manual guidance.
I agree with Stu, machines like this will expand the possibilities of making things from wood. Those who enjoy crafting by hand will continue to do so. And, only the mind of man can make originals. Machines only do what they are told to do after the fact.
Keep the reports coming, Stu.

attachment.php
attachment.php

And a shot of the Madonna carving on the iCarver,
Cheers!

OK, that's it! I want one! Right now!

Where do I order! ;)

Yes, it means instant divorce, but... wow! :thumb:

Hey, maybe I could make a picture of Doorlink as the first project! Might mollify her... :rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

How long did it take to make the file or what was the steps involved and after the machine started carving how long did it take to complete??

I'm sure someone who knew what they were doing would have completed it faster, but for me, and my not so new windows computers it does take a bit of time to do the number crunching render the file ready to be uploaded into the iCarver, maybe 20 minutes or so?

The actual carving on this one took 30 minutes, when you are finished rendering the image, the software tells you how long it will take.

I have the same image rendered to a 12" x 12" size, the carving on that one is supposed to take 307 minutes :eek:

Yep, 5 hours and 11 minutes :rolleyes:

That particular drawing is a VERY detailed one, I'm quite pleased at how it came out, in such a small scale, and on soft pine wood.

Cheers!:wave:

I'm slowly but surely getting this thing online, I'm getting a lot more of a handle on the software, but still, a lot of reading to plow through. I'm actually quite pleased with myself, I too often just try to "figure it out", which leads me to become frustrated (my excuse for still sucking at SketchUp). I printed out the manual that comes on the CD with the software, only 360 pages (I printed it one both side of the page, so 180 pages) I then dropped down to Kinkos and had it bound, a ring binding, so it will lay flat, not bad, cost me about $4 :thumb:

here is some in progress pics of my latest attempt at an "Engraving".........

SN3D0922.jpg SN3D0923.jpg SN3D0924.jpg SN3D0925.jpg
Yep, it is carving away! :thumb:

SN3D0926.jpg
This is just when it finished carving, as you can see, I've got no DC hooked up at the moment.

SN3D0927.jpg
The finished product, not bad, I think, need more work on the software yet.

Cheers!

Looking good Stu, glad you are getting through it and getting used to the software.

Did it come with any pre-loaded images or patterns? What type of file does that pattern have to be? I know CW's use a file called .ptn

I can see now, the Liquor shop is going to be plagued with new signs.

Stu, One thing you might also try with that is to cut out your own zero clearance plates from plastic or MDF. MDF actually works well, can be drilled and tapped for set screws for height adjusters.

Looking good Stu, glad you are getting through it and getting used to the software.

Did it come with any pre-loaded images or patterns? What type of file does that pattern have to be? I know CW's use a file called .ptn

The file that gets loaded into the actual iCarver is a *.gee format, I guess their own format.

The files that come off of the Type 3 software are either *.DAT or *.vnd
formats. :dunno:

All I know is that with this software, and this iCarver, with some thought, and a selection of cutters, I think that I'll be able to make just about anything I could want, as long as the hardest material is aluminum :D

It is really mind expanding, when you start looking at what others have done with their set ups, and what is possible with this I carver.

It should be able to carve on a curved surface, like on the surface of a ball, or the surface of a............ Bowl :rolleyes: :D

I tell you, lots to come from this machine! :thumb:

Hey Stu.

Can you find out what sort of 3d files can you import, I guess that it should have at least a couple of import/export filters for IGES, STL or similar ones.
If so I can send you some works to try on it.

Hi Toni

According to the software manual, I can import;

Bitmap *.bmp *.Tif
Autocad *.dxf
PostScript *.eps
Adobe Illustrator *.ai
Plotters *.hpg *.plt
IGES *.igs
ISO *.iso
Tool path *u??
Windows Meta File *.wmf
JEPG*.jpg

Are all importable to the software. :wave:

Hi Toni

According to the software manual, I can import;

Bitmap *.bmp *.Tif
Autocad *.dxf
PostScript *.eps
Adobe Illustrator *.ai
Plotters *.hpg *.plt
IGES *.igs
ISO *.iso
Tool path *u??
Windows Meta File *.wmf
JEPG*.jpg

Are all importable to the software. :wave:

Good! Although I wonder how will it process bitmap files, most problably it will assign a given depth ( Z axis) to a certain colour intensity provided that the original file is in grey shades I guess....
If not, being bitmap files "flat" I do not know how will it treat them, I don't know wether you can just load a pic and have it carved in relief.

I'll follow this post closely.

Toni, I got the file, I'll check it out later,thanks!:thumb:

I got some more time on the iCarver, I thought of some "Other" things this machine can do, for example, to cut out parts.

As Christmas is coming, I cut out some stars............

star_1.jpg star_2.jpg star_3.jpg star_4.jpg
Lots of in progress pictures.

star_5.jpg
Under all of that sawdust is a cut out star.

star_6.jpgstar_7.jpg
There you go.

With the duplication function in the software, I could put a sheet of wood on the iCarver, and set up a bunch of stars to cut out, like a cookie cutter, then I could let it rip and get a bunch out of one piece.

I put another piece on top of the table, I just held it in place with 4 drops of CA glue, worked well.

I did not do so on this one, but I could have even drilled the hole to put a string through to hang the ornament on the tree.

I'm using a conical shaped tool right now, I'm going to see if I can use a straight end mill type of cutter instead.

Cheers!

Hi Stu.

Just a question, can you mill soft metals like copper, brass or aluminum on that? With bits for metals of course... That will open thousand more posibilities to you, just thinking about custom made hardware for instance.... or specific designed pieces to improve your machines....