Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Enclosure for Dust Control?

PC Enclosure for Dust Control?

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with making an enclosure for a computer to keep dust from getting inside?

My 5 year old computer died the other day. I think the CPU finally got fried after overheating many times due to dust clogging the cpu cooler. It had gotten a bit unstable over the last couple of years, but finally got to the point where it just wont boot.

On the floor, my pc seems to collect a lot of dust and I tend to have to blow it out with compressed air about once a weel.

Well, I've got a new MB, CPU, and Graphics card on the way and I'm wanting to try and protect this new investment.

I was thinking if I built some kind of enclosure for my pc that had a filter on it and fans to pull air into the enclosure I might be able to keep the dust on the filter, and not inside my pc.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions.

Thanks!

Brent
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Brent I have been thinking about exactly the same issue. I have just completed my cabling to the house of my connection (not going wireless I already have that) and now ready to set up my spare computer in the shop. Been scratching the brain to think through this one. I am thinking of a box using some off the shelf small filter with very fine filtering. Then run the keyboard and mouse outside. Even looked at the rubber keyboards where keys are not exposed. Cooling is a big consideration so airflow is an issue regardless. I hope someone posts something here that has already been tried as a solution.
    cheers

Lots of 'industrial' enclosures out there, for a bunch of money.

I'm guessing if I get a couple of 120mm fans and put on the front with some sort of filter material.

I could either go that way, or I'm almost thinking of just building a case on my own.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

I'll be following this thread with interest. my "shop" computer which controls my cnc machine as well as lets me browse the internet, is always getting covered in dust... so bad that I actually end up blowing it out with compressed air once a month or so.

-J

One of the more interesting 'hacks' I've seen for keeping a pc dust free is to put all the components in a tank and then fill the tank with mineral oil

Seems like ti would work, but I'm not sure I really want to go that far....

Especially with a brand new Mobo/CPU/Graphics card....

I mad one out of some 1/2" plexi with a large furnace filter on the back. It is close to twice the size of the tower. This allows plenty of air flow. Once a month the filter comes out and gets replaced.

Do you use any fans to force air in/out of the enclosure? Or is it passive, with the furnace filter being big enough to allow enough airflow?

My Computer GURU tells me that the floor is the worse location in reguards to dust, On my latest Upgrade he installed and extra-large fan to keep air moving and blowing OUT. Says to open the box periodically and use my compressed air to blow out the mess . Never use a Vacuum to clean the CPU as moving dust in a vacuum tube creates Static Electricity and KerPow!! goes the electronic parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    My Computer GURU tells me that the floor is the worse location in reguards to dust, On my latest Upgrade he installed and extra-large fan to keep air moving and blowing OUT. Says to open the box periodically and use my compressed air to blow out the mess . Never use a Vacuum to clean the CPU as moving dust in a vacuum tube creates Static Electricity and KerPow!! goes the electronic parts.
    Not to hijack my own thread, but yeah, my Dust collector generates a lot of static electricity in the dry desert.

I don't really have any good options for getting the PC up off the floor, which is why I'm thinking of building an enclosure to keep the dust out to begin with.

I think you guys are over thinking this one, all you really need is a box the you can put you computer in and then have a positive pressure in it, do this with two or even three large fans, that are filtered, they blow into the box all the time, bringing clean filtered air, the rest of the box does not have to be that sealed up, as you want the air to flow out of the box, making sure nothing comes into the box, except the air passing through the filters. Think the "Boy in the Bubble" kind of thing.

Good luck!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward