Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting a new lathe.

Wanting a new lathe.

Hi Folks: this is my first post on here. I am new to lathing. inherited my dad's old beaver lathe. I have turned about a dozen bowls and some more small stuff, and realize I really like turning. So now I am looking for a nice lathe. Around the 2000 dollar mark. I have seen some videos with the DVR XP. And I would like to know your thoughts on it if anyone would like to jump in.

Thanks

Joe Penney
    Last edited by Joe Penney; 12-06-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Joe, first Welcome to the Family.

Glad to see another turner too! I'm sure many will chime in to give you some advice on a great lathe in your price range.

The DVR, Jet 1642 and the Grizzly clone of it are some good starts...If you get a chance please post some pics of your pieces...we love pictures.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Joe, first Welcome to the Family.

Glad to see another turner too! I'm sure many will chime in to give you some advice on a great lathe in your price range.

The DVR, Jet 1642 and the Grizzly clone of it are some good starts...If you get a chance please post some pics of your pieces...we love pictures.
    That Grizzly is the G0632, worth considering
    Welcome, hope to see you around.

welcome joe sorry you got the obsession already but you are in the right clinic for help,,there are many here that are afllicted with the turners disease,, althought i am one of them who has reamined immune to it
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    welcome joe sorry you got the obsession already but you are in the right clinic for help,,there are many here that are afllicted with the turners disease,, althought i am one of them who has reamined immune to it
    It's probably a good thing he's in the clinic... he already turning bowels..

Welcome to the group.
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 11-24-2008 at 10:50 PM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Joe,

I recently bought a Nova DVR XP and really like it. It is such a smooth cut and I like the complete control of the rotational speed. As background, I had (still have) a Jet Mini and wanted more power and a bigger lathe. While I realize my Nova is kinda light compared to some of the other ones, you can certainly offset that aspect with a heavy stand and ballast. Alan Trout has made a nice stand for his, and he anticipates it to weigh in at around 800 lbs with ballast.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Regards,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Merlau View Post
    welcome Joe sorry you got the obsession already but you are in the right clinic for help,,there are many here that are afflicted with the turners disease,, although I am one of them who won't remained immune to it forever
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha He He He He He Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
    How do you sneak up on a unique person....why unique up on them of course
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-25-2008 at 12:33 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Welcome to the Family Joe

I've got the older DVR 3000, and really like it, I cannot imagine you would be disappointed with it.

What are you space requirements etc? The DVR XP comes with only one bed extension, I find the extra extension really makes the lathe easier to use and gives you the extra capacity if you even want to do long things.

Are there any other lathes in the running?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I, too, have the DVR and love it. My shop is very compact, and the DVR gives me huge flexiblilty (spindles over 5 feet long with extensions, large hollow columns, and the head turns to allow large bowls to be turned away from the bed. The pro turners like a heavier lathe, and some want more power, but I have never been disappointed with my DVR.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

I have the Nova DVR XP and love it. I recently added the bed extension. It is smooth, has plenty of power and is a pleasure to turn on.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.