Wanting a new lathe.

Joe Penney

Hi Folks: this is my first post on here. I am new to lathing. inherited my dad's old beaver lathe. I have turned about a dozen bowls and some more small stuff, and realize I really like turning. So now I am looking for a nice lathe. Around the 2000 dollar mark. I have seen some videos with the DVR XP. And I would like to know your thoughts on it if anyone would like to jump in.

Thanks

Joe Penney

Last edited:
Joe, first Welcome to the Family. :wave:

Glad to see another turner too! I'm sure many will chime in to give you some advice on a great lathe in your price range.

The DVR, Jet 1642 and the Grizzly clone of it are some good starts...If you get a chance please post some pics of your pieces...we love pictures. :D

Joe, first Welcome to the Family. :wave:

Glad to see another turner too! I'm sure many will chime in to give you some advice on a great lathe in your price range.

The DVR, Jet 1642 and the Grizzly clone of it are some good starts...If you get a chance please post some pics of your pieces...we love pictures. :D

That Grizzly is the G0632, worth considering
Welcome, hope to see you around.

welcome joe sorry you got the obsession already but you are in the right clinic for help,,there are many here that are afllicted with the turners disease,, althought i am one of them who has reamined immune to it:)

welcome joe sorry you got the obsession already but you are in the right clinic for help,,there are many here that are afllicted with the turners disease,, althought i am one of them who has reamined immune to it:)

It's probably a good thing he's in the clinic... he already turning bowels.. :D:rofl:

Welcome to the group.

Last edited:
Joe,

I recently bought a Nova DVR XP and really like it. It is such a smooth cut and I like the complete control of the rotational speed. As background, I had (still have) a Jet Mini and wanted more power and a bigger lathe. While I realize my Nova is kinda light compared to some of the other ones, you can certainly offset that aspect with a heavy stand and ballast. Alan Trout has made a nice stand for his, and he anticipates it to weigh in at around 800 lbs with ballast.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Regards,

welcome Joe sorry you got the obsession already but you are in the right clinic for help,,there are many here that are afflicted with the turners disease,, although I am one of them who won't remained immune to it forever:)

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha He He He He He Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:):):):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::poke::poke::poke:
How do you sneak up on a unique person....why unique up on them of course:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Welcome to the Family Joe :wave:

I've got the older DVR 3000, and really like it, I cannot imagine you would be disappointed with it.

What are you space requirements etc? The DVR XP comes with only one bed extension, I find the extra extension really makes the lathe easier to use and gives you the extra capacity if you even want to do long things.

Are there any other lathes in the running?

Cheers!

I, too, have the DVR and love it. My shop is very compact, and the DVR gives me huge flexiblilty (spindles over 5 feet long with extensions, large hollow columns, and the head turns to allow large bowls to be turned away from the bed. The pro turners like a heavier lathe, and some want more power, but I have never been disappointed with my DVR.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones you mentioned, but in your shoes, I think I'd be leaning toward the Nova. I was seriously considering it before I got my Powermatic.

Joe Welcome aboard. I tend to agree with Vaughn. I think more than likely any will work well and all have there positives and negatives.

I too am a DVR owner. What made me chose the DVR was its footprint, capacity, horsepower, and overall versatility. One of both the negatives and positives with the lathe is your ability to purchase or option to design and build your own stand. You can build a stand as heavy or light as you desire. As Lee said I am in the process of building my stand. I have made it as heavy as I could and still be what I consider mobile to some extent. It should finish right at 800lbs total weight. I hope to have it done in the next couple of weeks. Then I will find out if my labor was worth it.

I hope you find the lathe you are looking for. There are a bunch of good ones out there.

Good Luck

Alan

DVR XP Lathe

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. I really like the look of the DVR. and have seen the videos from the manufactureer. I have seen a few videos also from a fellow that calls himself Stuintoyko. I was really impressed. there is a distributor in Canada, In Montreal. I think I will contact him this week. And no I have not really considered any other lathes So I think it will be a DVR for me.
Thanks again for all the info

Joe Penney.

...I have seen a few videos also from a fellow that calls himself Stuintoyko. I was really impressed...
I wouldn't trust those videos. Ive been told that there Stu fella does it all with video editing tricks. (Check out his "Logging in Tokyo" video. He speeds up the video n the middle to make it look like he's a fast worker.) He doesn't even have a real shop...just some little storage cubbyhole in a parking garage. Plus, rumor has it that he's a Canadian, and we all know what sort of trouble THOSE people can be, eh? :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seeing as how Stu lives in Japan he probably turns with the head stock on the right & runs the lathe in reverse no wonder he needed that fancy smancy lathe. He videos himself & the lathe as he works upside down & backwards in a mirror so he looks normal like the rest of us.:eek::eek::eek::):D:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Are we normal??? Whats normal???:eek::doh::dunno:

Last edited:
Ok. I guess I know what I said that was so funny.

Being a newbie, I guess I know that the two stuarts are the same person. But that is where I first saw the lathe. And as for being Canadian, I am one also. So look out for the fun to start.

Thanks for the welcome all.

Joe Penney.

Joe,

I know you already sound like you'll go for the Nova DVR but I just wanted to toss in a little more info. I think I forgot to tell you that I also bought Nova's new "swing away" and an extension bed. I've got a small shop ( aka garage) with little room and while using the swing away the length of the lathe is just about like not having the extension bed attached. It's also nice to put the tail stock on the extension bed and swing it out of the way when working on a bowl.

Regards,

Being a newbie, I guess I know that the two stuarts are the same person. But that is where I first saw the lathe. And as for being Canadian, I am one also. So look out for the fun to start.

Thanks for the welcome all.

Joe Penney.
Stu wouldn't think I liked him anymore if I didn't give him a little grief every once in a while. :D He's one of the few Japanadian (or Canapanese) guys I know.

Oh...and I failed to mention earlier...

Glad to have you aboard. :wave: