Griz and P-tree Black Friday Ads

Dern it, Glenn, I had been keeping my Eyes AND Ears CLOSED trying NOT be TEMPTED to dip any further into my Dwindling Shop Fund during these Black Friday sales, but Noooooooooo..........ya jest had ta slip that Peachtree ad right in front of ma Eyes, Din't ya?:rolleyes: 'n I ain bout ta admit jest how fur i slid down that slope nither.:rofl::rofl::rofl: (unfortunatly......ther wuz mor'n one page ta that ad):rolleyes::doh:

P-tree Black Friday Ads

Hi folks,

You know I posted that I had taken advantage of P-tree's deal on the Grr-Ripper and ordered it on the 25th. Well, I received the following e-mail from them on the 28th.

I ordered this item from P-tree on 11/25 because the price was $53.99 for a Grr-Ripper 230 complete system, which included a model 200 (the advanced model), the bridge attachment kit, and the connector kit. Shipping was to be $8.75 for USPS Parcel Post. I placed and paid for the order.

Then I got this from their "Customer Service".

"real shipping cost your order # 178535
Friday, November 28, 2008 3:38 AM
From: "peachtreeservice@aol.com" <peachtreeservice@aol.com>View contact details To: oldebrush@yahoo.com

Hello Anthony,

The cost of shipping matrix is different for Hawaii. We only ship packages Priority Mail or Parcel Post. The real shipping cost for your order Priority Mail will be $26.80 and $20.58 Parcel Post. That makes the total for your order PM $80.79 and PP $74.57. We have not processed your credit card at this time and we are waiting for your reply. Please email back with your approval or decline of these charges.

Thank You
Customer Service"

My reply on 11/28/08:

"Well Hello customer service. Nice to hear from you. To my knowledge, and this comes from experience in receiving many parcels from the U.S. mainland via USPS Parcel Post, the packages have been sent to Hawaii for the same fees as packages sent to any of the continental 48 states. Have you heard of the USPS "Flat-Rate" box system? Usually for $8.00, you can send items to "Anywhere in the USA", as long as they fit in the flat rate box, regardless of weight. Try it, You'll like it. Anyway, If it must be, Please send me what I have asked for, order #178535, by USPS Parcel Post, even at the specially high priced shipping rate. I will have to live with that I suppose. Aloha, Tony"

The total of $74.57 was deducted from my C/C account. (Even that is still some dollars less that I can buy this product locally.)

I have received no reply from P-tree or acknowledgment of agreement or disagreement with my e-mail or any explanation of the high shipping fees. I tried accessing their website and found that there was no record of my order or payment.

I received the package on December 5. Even my mailman confirmed that they charged too much for shipping, adding that they probably charged the extra for "handling" fees. (just because they can)

I tried it out and I like the Grr-Ripper, and actually someday I will find it on sale again somwhere else and I will buy one more.

Just wanted to pass my experience along. Sorry for the rant.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Well Tony, that just sucks, I've been there and I've done that, get quoted a shipping price to Japan, specify that it is to "Japan" and then, after I've placed the order, they suddenly find out that "Japan" is a foreign country :eek::eek::eek: and they have to charge more :doh:

I feel your frustrations, I hope you can walk outside into some wonderful weather and take a look at a beautiful vista, relax and take a deep breath :D

P-tree Black Friday Ads

What? Stuart, surely you jest? Japan, a foreign country? Why, I would have never thought that. WOW, what we learn from Family Woodworking. :rofl:

Yeah, But what I was more miffed at than the high shipping was that they never responded to my e-mail at all, just shipped it out. I've run into this many times. Some will adjust the shipping fee, some will at least tell me they can't, but at least they respond. :dunno:

Oh well, they don't sell anything I need that much that I can't get elsewhere. Just wanted to pass it along to the family. :wave:

Aloha, and yes, I will enjoy some nice sunshine and fresh air today. Hope you are doing well too. :thumb:

Tony