Thread: And now for something completely thinner...(UPDATED...WARPAGE!)

And now for something completely thinner...(UPDATED...WARPAGE!)

As many have mentioned, I've been posting quite a bit of thicker stuff lately. I will in continue to do so in the future too, but here is something thinner.

I think it is hackberry, but not sure as it too was found along the road on the way home from work last week. It's about 8" wide and 3.5 high. So far just danish oil finish, but I will be spraying some rattle can lacquer on it soon. The lip is just shy of 1/8" thick and the rest is just a little thicker and no signs of splits so far, some warping but that will add character IMO. A friend already wants it for a gift for her dad so it will be on it's way to Chicago when finished.

Critiques encouraged please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20081124_0002.JPG   20081124_0003.JPG   20081124_0004.JPG   20081124_0005.JPG  
    Last edited by Jeff Bower; 11-25-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

It's too thin!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice-looking bowl, Jeff. Looks pretty hackberry-ish to me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    It's too thin!
    No that's funny!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Anther nice one Jeff. You are getting this spinny stuff down!!!
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

I like it Jeff. I am just not a thick bowl type. Don't know why. This one is a beaut.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The Warpage....

I went out to the garage last night and found this bowl had warped just a little...I kinda like it, but the friend that wanted to buy it for a gift may not...glad I didn't send it and have this happen intransit. Guess I'll need to make something else for her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20081202_0025.JPG   20081202_0027.JPG   20081202_0028.JPG  
    My Website

Jeff,
    That's where educating your friend about the nature of wood comes in. Wood Moves, Bowls change shape as the moisture content varies. Ok, Most bowls do... your chunkier set of bowls of late probably won't move as much as that one, but still.... make it a Feature, not a problem.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Jeff,
    That's where educating your friend about the nature of wood comes in. Wood Moves, Bowls change shape as the moisture content varies. Ok, Most bowls do... your chunkier set of bowls of late probably won't move as much as that one, but still.... make it a Feature, not a problem.
    Ned, I agree, I said the friend/customer wouldn't like it because my wife said she wanted something with clean lines....not wavy. I will keep it myself until someone else wants it. I love what wood does all on its own...usually its better than what I can do to it.
    My Website

You ain't that far away from making a hat.