advice about router

I am thinking about buying PC's 12 inch dovetail jig to play with over the winter until we come back north and I can resume work in the shop. I want to get a smaller router (than my Bosch 1617) to use with the jig and for other small free hand work. I've seen some nice things written about the PC310 laminate trimmer, but it seems to be discontinued. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

Tony, I've never used a laminate trimmer so can't comment on those, but I actually sold my Bosch 1617 and bought a smaller Hitachi M12VC for dovetail work, and like it better for that task.

I am thinking about buying PC's 12 inch dovetail jig to play with over the winter until we come back north and I can resume work in the shop. I want to get a smaller router (than my Bosch 1617) to use with the jig and for other small free hand work. I've seen some nice things written about the PC310 laminate trimmer, but it seems to be discontinued. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

I think the lam trimmer might be a bit small for that task.

My preference is the PC 690 D-handle (it may be 890 now - not sure) or the Milwaukee 5615 'body grip' model. Both are about 1½ hp, single speed, and both work very well with the dovetail jigs.

As for the jig - take a look at the 12" jig that Hartville Hardware has. I haven't actually used that one, but it looks really nice. The PC jig is a good one too, though. I have the 18" (now discontinued) version of that one.

i agree with jim on this in reguards to alrger router the laminat size routers are to small fo rmost dove tail work on jig.s i have the leigh and use a pc 690 or the next one up but wouldnt think of tryun to use a lam trimmer for the job..and a dhandle is one very nice attribute

I have a Leigh Super 24, and I use a PC 690 with it. It is 1 3/4 hp and does the job well. I have yet to hear anyone say a bad word about the 690.

I also have a Dewalt 618 that I use in my router table and in a plunge base, for free hand work(but not in the DT jig). That is 2 1/4 hp.