Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outdoorsy question???

outdoorsy question???

ok this is for the ones that can relate to a person who has spent many hours in a tree or after a quarry or the elmo of the water way.. now he's grown old and the offspring all have much differnt lifestyle and intersts,, the old trophys be it fin, feather or fur are gonna be left when he makes his last journey.. where do you go with them if the kids arent into it? this will probally only touch a few of you but if those that dont understand ,,but have friends that you feel would ,ask them there opinion.. i would like to hear there and your thoughts on this...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry, that is a good question. But, unfortunately, the answer is not one that will please you. Now I understand that every family is different, but generally what is left behind becomes fodder for the garage sale or auctioneer. My mother, in her last months, summed it up when she said "All my precious belongings will just become 'stuff'." Unfortunately, she was right. Much went into the garbage, a lot to the church for their fund raising and a few items to me and my sister. My son has no interest in my various avocations. My daughter not much more although she wants my guns. I'm sure my tools and collections will become fodder for the auctioneer at a tiny fraction of value. What non-turner even knows what a Barracuda 4 chuck is?
    If you do not specify, item by item, who gets what, that is very likely the end result of your lifetimes memories in 'things'.

Frank speaks the truth.
    I've had to go through both my dad's 'stuff' and the 'stuff' left behind by my MIL & FIL. Some of it came home with us and, except for some of my dad's tools, have not seen the light of day in a decade or more.
    Larry - if you have no one who wants it when you're gone, give it to someone else now. Related or not, makes no difference. They get something they want, and you get their smile and gratitude. You can't take the furry stuff with you, but the smile and gratitude will follow you all the way home and live long after you can no longer enjoy them.

(PS. See my sig line)
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 11-26-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

i had that in mind!

but when i had made a similair suggestion, the better half said we paid to have this or that done and your not gettin rid of it.. well its served its purpose and when i found out and got the realty check that my offspring had no interst well i figured it was time to do as I WANTED to do with it... but as of now its not went anywhere.. i was kinda hoping that there might be a place where it could still be appriciated even if they didnt get the stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    but when i had made a similair suggestion, the better half said we paid to have this or that done and your not gettin rid of it.. well its served its purpose and when i found out and got the realty check that my offspring had no interst well i figured it was time to do as I WANTED to do with it... but as of now its not went anywhere.. i was kinda hoping that there might be a place where it could still be appriciated even if they didnt get the stuff...
    Well, I heard some of the same, but I reminded her that I plan to go home before she does and she's gonna be stuck getting rid of it.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Well, I heard some of the same, but I reminded her that I plan to go home before she does and she's gonna be stuck getting rid of it.
    i willtry that onight or maybe i had better wait till after the bird is on the table to eat

The problem is that way of thinking is so short sighted. It may be true that your children may not want your guns, your collectibles or your shop tools, but perhaps your grandchildren might ??? In fact more then likely someone in your family will enjoy those things and will want to have "grand dad's things" or whatever, down the road.

When my Grandfather was giving away all his tools, I took his Canedy Otto drill press. A beast of a until that was from 1909. I took it because I was raised when you take something, you take all of it and then discard what you don't want later. Anyway I tossed the drill press out into the weeds. Only after he died 2 years later did I retrieve it and rebuild just because he would have liked that.

The point here is, you just never know. Once you sell/give away something you never get it back.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

well travis,, i dont have to worry about grand kids, only one that will have that title is a girl and is city threw and threw... so the tools and the critters or other goodies have no value to my offspring ..i made a major mistake and they went as far from me as they could.. one became a silly vegatarin and the they both are in the one of the biggest citys in our state,, they were taught and raised the country life and the country way.. and can survive if they used what i taught them,, but there intersts arent where i had hoped in my plans.

Good question Larry.

My brother and I will probably draw straws for my dad's 10' plus polar bear rug Seriously, Dad has already doled out most of his trophies and guns (to his two boys and his grandkids).

I donated over 20 mounts when I moved out of Alaska. Safari Club International has a "Sensory Safari" program where folks can touch the mounts. Many schools love to have hides/skulls/antlers/horns for their science classes. There are also brokerage companies that buy and sell hunting trophies (where legal).

My stuff will go to my girls, schools, museums, or "for sale". But I hope I get blessed with another 30 or so years to use it.
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Not yet.

What you ingrain in children never leaves them. They would not be the first kids that came back from the city realizing that lifestyle is only based on someones elses expectation of what "sucess" is.

In today's economy, where success, value and net worth is being re-evaluated as never before, you just never know. I don't know your children granted, but hold onto those things my friend, you just never know.

Here in Maine many kids leave, but ultimately they come back to raise their kids. Its just the kind of place you want your children raised. Perhaps in due time your kids will do likewise.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"