Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "IT"

Southern Georgia

Wink "IT"

Well folks, the work finally ended on "IT". In fact, I delivered and got paid for it a few weeks ago.

Time for the real thread title:

Birth of a Jewelry and Lingerie Armoire

Yup, that's what "IT" is...a Jewelry and Lingerie Armoire.

I'm only going to post a few pictures here...

Attachment 25990.....Attachment 25991.....Attachment 25992.....Attachment 25993.....Attachment 25994

It took me a few weeks after the delivery to get to posting here because I wanted to completely re-do my web site and use that to host most of the information about the piece. As is my way, I took 3,222 pictures during the construction, and have text that accompanies each. There's no way I was going to sit and create page after page of a thread here, especially since I can only post 10 pics per post.

It worked out though since I created a presentation for the client and have that presentation on my new web site for anyone here that's interested enough to sit through it.

Here's a little detail...for those that don't care to sit through the presentation:

• The piece is 5' tall by 2' by 2'
    • Rough estimate of weight is somewhere over 300 pounds
    • It's built from solid Mahogany - no secondary woods
    • The case sides are veneered in grain matched quarter sawn Sapelle
    • The front is grain match Mottled Makore - one 5' long piece of veneer covered all drawers
    • The doors and lid are Mahogany Crotch Veneer
    • All drawers are dovetailed - A combination of Rabetted Half Blind, Through, and Half Blind
    • The doors are lockable without a center post via library catches top and bottom
    • ...thousand of other details...all covered in the presentation on my web site

With all the detail that went into making this piece, I can't decide what to mention and what to leave to the presentation. I'll be more than happy to answer questions from anyone that might have them. But if anyone's really interested enough, go through the presentation. It covers A LOT!

Oh yeah, it would help if I provided the link to the presentation, huh?

Here ya go SLIDESHOW LINK

I have a few more projects in the shop that are keeping me busy. But now that I've posted here, I'll make an effort to stop by more case there are questions...oh, and to try to catch up a bit.

Thanks for looking/waiting...
    - Marty -

P.S. I'm still working on my new web site. There ARE typos, link problems, etc. But I wanted to get this posted here so I rushed things. If anyone finds problems on my new site, I'd appreciate a PM with the details.
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

new york city burbs
    whoa thats pretty!

great slide show, I just watched it......this isnt furniture, its art.

Congratulations sir on creating something of such beauty.(mahogany is such a great looking wood)
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-27-2008 at 03:01 AM.

ABQ NM
    It's about freakin' time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

`bout time

i`ve allready told ya` but nice job dude!!!!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Kansas City, Missouri

Marty, That is just beautiful, great work. Really enjoyed the slide show, you did a great job.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Inside the Beltway

I'm speechless. It is the very embodiment of beautiful work.

Odessa, Tx
    Sheesh, Marty, I'll bet you had to charge that customer an EXTRA dollar-two ninety eight just for the FINISH.

All I can say is WOW.

Austin TX

That is one beautiful piece. I can only imagine the price tag for what really does look like a piece of art. How many hours are tied up in it? Were you cutting the dovetails by hand or using a jig? How did you transport the piece and would you do anything differently if you were doing it over?

Thanks for sharing your work with us. Definitely something to aspire to.

Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Funny thing Marty,
    I was just thinking about dropping you a message tonight when I checked the new posts list and there It was!

Well worth the wait, and truly a Masterpiece!
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 11-27-2008 at 05:50 AM.

However long it took, it was worth it. Makes me tired just looking at all the detail.