"IT"

Marty Walsh

Well folks, the work finally ended on "IT". In fact, I delivered and got paid for it a few weeks ago.

Time for the real thread title:

Birth of a Jewelry and Lingerie Armoire

Yup, that's what "IT" is...a Jewelry and Lingerie Armoire.

I'm only going to post a few pictures here...

P1020343.jpg.....P1020348.jpg.....P1020357.jpg.....P1020378.jpg.....P1020379.jpg

It took me a few weeks after the delivery to get to posting here because I wanted to completely re-do my web site and use that to host most of the information about the piece. As is my way, I took 3,222 pictures during the construction, and have text that accompanies each. There's no way I was going to sit and create page after page of a thread here, especially since I can only post 10 pics per post.

It worked out though since I created a presentation for the client and have that presentation on my new web site for anyone here that's interested enough to sit through it.

Here's a little detail...for those that don't care to sit through the presentation:

• The piece is 5' tall by 2' by 2'
  • Rough estimate of weight is somewhere over 300 pounds
  • It's built from solid Mahogany - no secondary woods
  • The case sides are veneered in grain matched quarter sawn Sapelle
  • The front is grain match Mottled Makore - one 5' long piece of veneer covered all drawers
  • The doors and lid are Mahogany Crotch Veneer
  • All drawers are dovetailed - A combination of Rabetted Half Blind, Through, and Half Blind
  • The doors are lockable without a center post via library catches top and bottom
  • ...thousand of other details...all covered in the presentation on my web site

With all the detail that went into making this piece, I can't decide what to mention and what to leave to the presentation. I'll be more than happy to answer questions from anyone that might have them. But if anyone's really interested enough, go through the presentation. It covers A LOT!

Oh yeah, it would help if I provided the link to the presentation, huh?

Here ya go SLIDESHOW LINK

I have a few more projects in the shop that are keeping me busy. But now that I've posted here, I'll make an effort to stop by more often...in case there are questions...oh, and to try to catch up a bit. :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking/waiting...
- Marty -

P.S. I'm still working on my new web site. There ARE typos, link problems, etc. But I wanted to get this posted here so I rushed things. If anyone finds problems on my new site, I'd appreciate a PM with the details.

whoa thats pretty!

great slide show, I just watched it......this isnt furniture, its art.

Congratulations sir on creating something of such beauty.(mahogany is such a great looking wood)

Last edited:
Sheesh, Marty, I'll bet you had to charge that customer an EXTRA dollar-two ninety eight just for the FINISH.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All I can say is WOW.:thumb:

Marty,

That is one beautiful piece. I can only imagine the price tag for what really does look like a piece of art. How many hours are tied up in it? Were you cutting the dovetails by hand or using a jig? How did you transport the piece and would you do anything differently if you were doing it over?

Thanks for sharing your work with us. Definitely something to aspire to.

Regards,

Thanks for posting the slideshow. That was outstanding. Better than watching an episode of David Marks. One question, as I just recently got a vacuum press (still to be assembled). What type of glue were you using that needed the fan to aid curing?

WOW!! That is a very nice piece. The slide show really is great, hopefully the clients got a true sense of the workmanship and hard work that went into the project.

In typical Marty form, the attention to detail in the piece and presentation is top notch.

Congratulations for a job well done.:thumb::bow::bow:

Randy

Marty, I am trying to come up with something to say about "IT", but I can't. From the conseption, design, build, documention, final finish, everything, just spectacular, unreal, incredible, WOW.
Thank you for sharing and documenting (full time job in its self!).
This is what FWW is about. Building and sharing projects and this one is top notch.

Tom

bout time you georgia hick:) i was about to drop back down and help ya deliver it so you could show the folks.. i had to get another dumpster for the junk mail inquiring me as to what it was but i still resisted:) glad all came out marty and have a great turkey day and tell that nice U.P girl you know so well i said hey as well glad for both of you. but your gonna have really out do it next time to beat this one marty!!! my expression was about the same as it was the first time i saw it but his time i could breath:) and didnt instanyl reach out to touch it..

Last edited:
Marty, that is just simply perfect.

I'm so very impressed, I knew, from your workshop build that you do nice work and you would do a very good job at whatever you tackled, but man, you have outdone yourself.

Kudos! :clap:

If I may ask you a related question, I'm sure your workshop got a good workout in this build, I'd like to ask what aspects of your workshop preformed how you wanted, and hoped, and if there were any areas that where not quite up to snuff?

Just curious, I do not wish to hijack you thread.

Oh Yeah......................... about time! :D :thumb:

I wondered early and often at how one piece could be worth this much time and effort. Well sir, you just answered my questions and blew me away!! That is stunning! I'm leaving for my parents house in about an hour, so I'll watch the presentation when I get home this evening.
Thanks for the, what I'm sure is a teaser for what the presentation will show. And I hope you two have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. Jim.

Marty,

That is one beautiful piece. I can only imagine the price tag for what really does look like a piece of art. How many hours are tied up in it?

Hours? Hmm...never took the time to do the math. Start to finish it took a little over 13 months. But there was time taken off during that period...for other smaller (money-making) projects...a short visit to the Ozarks...etc. There's really no way to tell how much actual time was spent on the project. Although I was out there for many months, 7 days a week, at least 12 or more hours a day.

Were you cutting the dovetails by hand or using a jig?

If you look at the slide show, you'll see parts mounted in my D4. I actually thought about cutting them by hand, but shuddered at the thought of how much time THAT would have taken! :eek:

How did you transport the piece and would you do anything differently if you were doing it over?

Transporting "IT" over 600 miles north was/is a story on to itself!!!

Better than explaining the mechanics/logistics, how about some pics to show you?

P1020468.jpg.....P1020470.jpg.....P1020472.jpg.....P1020474.jpg

P1020475.jpg.....P1020476.jpg.....P1020478.jpg.....P1020479.jpg

One of the big challenges was that the weekend I delivered was the only weekend the client would be available for quite a while. And the time frame they allotted me meant that I had to leave the shop about 5am on Saturday morning. The challenge came by way of rain. There was NO WAY we were gonna try to load "IT" in the rain. It started raining on Thursday and didn't stop. The car had to be loaded before 5am on Saturday...we had no choice.

Denise watched the weather radar all day Friday and into the night. I was trying to get some shuteye Friday night in preparation for the 11 hour drive, just in case we were able to get all loaded up. About 11pm on Friday night, Denise woke me to let me know that there was about to be a break in the clouds...a small window, but a window!

We raced out to the shop and got to work. About 1am "IT" was wrapped up safe and sound in the back of Denise's car. As we headed back to the house, the skies opened up and the rain started up again. Timing is everything...;)

The next big challenge was driving 600 miles of I95 with such precious cargo in the back of a station wagon! I can't tell you how many times I cringed when I hit bumps in the road.

Luckily, Denise did a great job wrapping and "IT" made it to its new home safe sound and un-molested. (I brought a repair kit just in case. Lacquer, dye, spirits, wax, etc...but thankfully never needed it :thumb:)

What would I do differently...?

Well, I wouldn't have chosen such an intensely challenging project for the new shops maiden project. There were just too many techniques and processes that I'd never attempted before. Not to mention, I was and still am getting used to all the new tools!

Speaking of which, I would be remiss if I didn't give thanks to our good friend Tod. I can't explain how helpful tod's been during "IT"'s birth!

THANKS AGAIN TOD!!!!!!

Back to your question...actually, I probably wouldn't do anything differently. I really dug the challenge...:D

Thanks for sharing your work with us. Definitely something to aspire to.

Regards,

Thanks for the kind words. :thumb:

Thanks for posting the slideshow. That was outstanding. Better than watching an episode of David Marks. One question, as I just recently got a vacuum press (still to be assembled). What type of glue were you using that needed the fan to aid curing?

Thanks for the kind words Doug.

I use Titebond for veneering...usually I or II. But just about any glue needs to cure for a while when coming out of the vacuum. When you take something out of the bag, put your hand on it. You'll feel that it's wet. The fan just helps circulate more air, expediting the curing. That picture was taken late at night, and I wanted to be able to start processing first thing in the morning.

And thanks to everyone else for the kind words.
- Marty -

Marty, that is just simply perfect.

I'm so very impressed, I knew, from your workshop build that you do nice work and you would do a very good job at whatever you tackled, but man, you have outdone yourself.

Kudos! :clap:

If I may ask you a related question, I'm sure your workshop got a good workout in this build, I'd like to ask what aspects of your workshop preformed how you wanted, and hoped, and if there were any areas that where not quite up to snuff?

Just curious, I do not wish to hijack you thread.

Oh Yeah......................... about time! :D :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words.

The shop 'performed' great during the build. Machines were all 100% on, dust collection and lighting was perfect, workflow was as designed and perfect.

There were a few 'things' I lacked during the build that would have made things easier...JLT clamp, widebelt sander, etc. But I've taken care of that :rolleyes:

The only other issue I had was room. I need a BIGGER shop!

- Marty -