"IT"

you`re welcome! and thanks for sharing the build and techniques so others can learn without the hinderance of my poor typing and spellin` skills.:eek:

So many before me have taken the words out of my mouth I am speechless..:rofl::rofl::rofl:.

How do you part with an item like that. How do you put a price on a item like that. I only see things like this in museums and art galleries. Is it financially worth doing this type of project or did you do it more as a marketing excercise?

Some really luckly owner. Conratulations and on and on......

The only other issue I had was room. I need a BIGGER shop!
- Marty -

Geez, Marty! A bigger shop? :p

Actually, a lot of people have joined since you took a hiatus to work on this piece. I'm sure they'd like to see a quick tour of your shop! (hint, hint!) ;)

Now, a serious point: You've got lots of pics, and the story's still fresh in your mind. You really should think about working up an article about the making of this piece. Frankly, I think between the story of the shop and the story of this piece, you've got a whole book's worth of material, but a good article would be a start. There are lots and lots of people who would love to read about it...

Seriously, think about it...

I do have one question. I was thinking when you got the slider that you'd be cutting up lots of sheet goods for this project. You done fooled me good with that one! :thumb: But did you use the slider to cut the mahogany, or a standard saw?

I have this idea that we all try to make things that are just beyond our available tools and our skills. This piece is a great example on both counts. I can do nothing more than express my substantial admiration. Like the song says: 'By the work, one knows the workman.' :bow:

Thanks,

Bill

WorkShop Use

Marty:

Many have or maybe many could build and stock a workshop similar to yours given the resources.

VERY FEW could ever build anything even similar to "IT" no matter how long they worked on it or how much they tried.

You have a beautiful shop but even more important you have a special gift of skill to be able to build something as beautiful as that project.

Like the others before me I am at a loss of words to tell you how wonderful, beautiful and everything else good could be about your project.

Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Marty,

That's a beautiful work of art!

Thanks for providing detail on your finish processes. I still have a long way to go on having the patience to create a finish like you did on "IT". Your slideshow gave me a lot of insight into what I need to do.

:thumb:

Now, a serious point: You've got lots of pics, and the story's still fresh in your mind. You really should think about working up an article about the making of this piece. Frankly, I think between the story of the shop and the story of this piece, you've got a whole book's worth of material, but a good article would be a start. There are lots and lots of people who would love to read about it...

After watching Marty's stunning slideshow I visited his Web site and was treated to a collection of his work, a very nice story how he got to where he is, and a great tour of his Georgia workshop.

A direct link to Marty's Web site is here: Marty's Web Site

After watching Marty's stunning slideshow I visited his Web site and was treated to a collection of his work, a very nice story how he got to where he is, and a great tour of his Georgia workshop.

Frank,

If you like a good story, and I'm guessing you do, get yourself a cup of coffee, a glass of good wine, or a hearty snifter of your favorite single malt, and start here:

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141

You may want to have the bottle close at hand... you may be sitting there a while... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thank you Bill; and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Interesting thing about Family Woodworking. The site is like a gold mine, lying under a beautiful pasture or forest. By that I mean, on the surface wonderful things to see and learn about, but underground, astounding treasure.

All the best.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."

Frank,

If you like a good story, and I'm guessing you do, get yourself a cup of coffee, a glass of good wine, or a hearty snifter of your favorite single malt, and start here:

You may want to have the bottle close at hand... you may be sitting there a while... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, you know he needs to go to the beginning.

www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36894

Just starting where you pointed him would be like starting a good movie half way through it.

Thanks Bill. I am on page three of nine (displaying 200 posts per page) and am in total awe of Marty and Denise (and support crew :)) and their efforts in building this incredible shop.

At first I thought I would "just" read Marty's posts and jump over commenters, but the back and forth sharing of ideas, can't be passed over.

I'll head over to Sawmill Creek after this reading, kinda like watching the extras on a DVD after seeing the film.

Thanks again Bills!

I use Titebond for veneering...usually I or II. But just about any glue needs to cure for a while when coming out of the vacuum. When you take something out of the bag, put your hand on it. You'll feel that it's wet. The fan just helps circulate more air, expediting the curing. That picture was taken late at night, and I wanted to be able to start processing first thing in the morning.

I was wondering if you were using epoxy and concerned about the heat for some reason. But I've got to get out of the non-vacuum clamping mindset I guess. Normally I just leave clamps on overnight but it makes sense I guess that you'd not want to leave a vac press running that long especially with that many pieces still waiting for the press. So do you just stick with the clamp time recommended by whatever glue you're using before pulling it from the bag?

Another WOW!! I just finished watching the slide show....Marty I now know why this took you 13 months to complete. You know, if you took a few less pictures, you could have shaved at least 2 months off the time!!!:rofl::rofl:
All kidding aside, the attention to detail is unmatched, except by your patience. I'm not sure I have that kind of patience anymore. Used to, but not any more. And it really takes an artist to see the end before reaching it, and therefore knowing what each step must take to achieve "IT". And that proves that you and Denise do have a studio there, not a shop.
Very inspirational!
1.gif
Jim.

So many before me have taken the words out of my mouth I am speechless..:rofl::rofl::rofl:.

How do you part with an item like that. How do you put a price on a item like that. I only see things like this in museums and art galleries. Is it financially worth doing this type of project or did you do it more as a marketing excercise?

Some really luckly owner. Conratulations and on and on......

Financially viable? Heck no! Now that I have all the processes down, I could probably build another in about 6 months. So, that would be two pieces a year. Could I price them high enough to live from the profits? Nope, not likely!

It was far more of a marketing exercise. Plus it was made for a good friend of mine back in VA.

Geez, Marty! A bigger shop? :p

Actually, a lot of people have joined since you took a hiatus to work on this piece. I'm sure they'd like to see a quick tour of your shop! (hint, hint!) ;)

Well, as I mentioned on my web site, I need to take a few new pictures of the shop. There are plenty of new tools that aren't shown in the few pictures I left on my site. If there's interest, I'll post the new pics here too.

Seriously, think about it...

Bill you're not the first to mention the idea of a book to me. As for the article, who do I market that to...and how?

This actually brings up something that tod and I have discussed. We've toyed with the idea of holding classes, at either (or both) of our shops. We could have classes on whatever folks want to learn about. We haven't gotten very far with the idea, cuz I'm not sure there would be enough of an audience that would be willing to pay to spend time with a pair of old hippies making sawdust...:huh:

We'd also both have to check with our insurance carriers to make sure we "could" do it and not risk our shops.

Maybe he and I need to discuss this some more...if there's interest...:dunno:

I do have one question. I was thinking when you got the slider that you'd be cutting up lots of sheet goods for this project. You done fooled me good with that one! :thumb: But did you use the slider to cut the mahogany, or a standard saw?

Your question is one of the greatest misconceptions that folks have about sliders. Sliders are sure great for handling large sheet goods. But, think 'cross-cut sled' for a normal table saw. Well, the slider has the sled built in!

So yes, I used the slider to cut just about every part of "IT". Imagine, there are 22 drawers in "IT". That 88 pieces that had to be machined with perfectly square ends, cut to EXACTLY the same length. The slider made simple work of it. Set the stops on the fence, make cuts, repeat.

And if you look closely at the slideshow on my site, you'll see pictures where I was using the slider to cut the cove molding...to cut slots in the molding stack for splines...and loads of other things.

I have this idea that we all try to make things that are just beyond our available tools and our skills. This piece is a great example on both counts. I can do nothing more than express my substantial admiration. Like the song says: 'By the work, one knows the workman.' :bow:

Thanks,

Bill

Well Bill, I can confidently say that I could have built "IT" without my shop full of kewl tewls. It just would taken a little longer, and I would have had to develop a few different methods to do things without the bigger tools.

Frank,

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill, thanks for the trip down memory lane. Denise and I both took a few minutes and ran through the old thread. Boy, have we come a long way in two years! :D

I was wondering if you were using epoxy and concerned about the heat for some reason. But I've got to get out of the non-vacuum clamping mindset I guess. Normally I just leave clamps on overnight but it makes sense I guess that you'd not want to leave a vac press running that long especially with that many pieces still waiting for the press. So do you just stick with the clamp time recommended by whatever glue you're using before pulling it from the bag?

Well Doug, I have in fact left stuff in the bag overnight...several times. But, most of the time, I have something waiting to go in next, so most things only get about 4 hours of 'squishing' before they come out of the bag.

As for recommended clamp time, I couldn't say. I don't think I've ever looked at the label on a glue bottle. It's more of a 'feel' thing. Four (or more) hours in the bag and then I either begin working on the piece, or let it stand and dry. It depends on what it is, what substrate I used, the nature of the veneer, etc.

Now, to everyone else that's posted in this thread...

All I can say is THANKS to you all for such kind words. It makes me blush to hear all those compliments.

As tod says...."Heck it's just wood!"

Thanks again...
- Marty -