"IT"

Fantastic work Marty. I'm sure you are thankful to have that one finished.

As impressive as the shop and work are, I was amazed with all the photos you took of the process.

Congrats - very few have the talent or patience to do what you did...

neil

I have been so busy showing this thing to anyone who will look that I haven't posted any comments yet; bee-you-tee-full work. Thanks for all the pics and effort at getting them too.

hi marty ,

i just spent a very enjoyable couple of hours going through the slideshow . i am amazed by your craftsmanship , patience , and skill . you have created a true work of art. the part that its functional art is just a bonus.

i have a couple of questions : how many hours did you spend on this piece in total ? and how many coats of sealer and sanding cycles did it take to fill in the crotch veneer ?

i hope the customer is absolutely thrilled:thumb:

this piece is finer than many that i have seen in fine woodworking magazine :) i truley hope you will submit some of those photos so i can see it in the magazine real soon :thumb:

Mr. Walsh, again, youre talent is obvious, nothing needs to said,

I have one question, being a beginner and not understanding one thing about solid wood and veneers. Hope you have a second to answer this or someone else can.
If youre building solid mahogany, applying veneer(and that stuff was gorgeous) over glued up boards, it there any worry of wood expansion under the veneer that could possible damage the veneer with expansion and contraction?
Hope Im not out of line with this question.

Congratulations to Marty and Denise.

When we were working on the shop building it was evident that you were s detail oriented craftsman. But, the only word I could find for "IT" is unbelievable! Talk to you soon and the class idea is growing on us lesser wood butchers.

Bill you're not the first to mention the idea of a book to me. As for the article, who do I market that to...and how?

This actually brings up something that tod and I have discussed. We've toyed with the idea of holding classes, at either (or both) of our shops. We could have classes on whatever folks want to learn about. We haven't gotten very far with the idea, cuz I'm not sure there would be enough of an audience that would be willing to pay to spend time with a pair of old hippies making sawdust...:huh:

We'd also both have to check with our insurance carriers to make sure we "could" do it and not risk our shops.

Maybe he and I need to discuss this some more...if there's interest...:dunno:

- Marty -

soooooo? does anybody have any input on the marty-n-tod roadshow?

Well,

I am a little late to this thread.....

I have been spending more time in my little shop.

Marty,

GREAT to hear from you again. Your work is incredible. Best I can tell, there was never a piece of wood that had to be recut.

This is a great lesson in so many ways.

I look forward to "seeing" more posting from you on the site.

...bartee...

perfectionism unveiled

Up til now I've remained lurking in the shadows, but had to put my two cents in with everyone else's to let you know what an inspiration it is to see this project unfold and just to say "WOW"! Beautiful work...

hi marty ,

i just spent a very enjoyable couple of hours going through the slideshow . i am amazed by your craftsmanship , patience , and skill . you have created a true work of art. the part that its functional art is just a bonus.

i have a couple of questions : how many hours did you spend on this piece in total ? and how many coats of sealer and sanding cycles did it take to fill in the crotch veneer ?

i hope the customer is absolutely thrilled:thumb:

this piece is finer than many that i have seen in fine woodworking magazine :) i truley hope you will submit some of those photos so i can see it in the magazine real soon :thumb:

Thanks Jim...

As I mentioned earlier, I don't know the actual 'hour' count on the project, since I was doing other smaller 'money-making' projects, etc. If I had to guess, it would be TOO MANY HOURS! :doh:

As for filling the crotch veneer, (and the other veneers), I didn't actually count the cycles, but it had to be on the order of 30 or more! I went through over 20 gallons each of sealer and top coat! I hope I never have a client (with enough money to spend) ever ask me to apply that finish again!

Mr. Walsh, again, youre talent is obvious, nothing needs to said,

I have one question, being a beginner and not understanding one thing about solid wood and veneers. Hope you have a second to answer this or someone else can.
If youre building solid mahogany, applying veneer(and that stuff was gorgeous) over glued up boards, it there any worry of wood expansion under the veneer that could possible damage the veneer with expansion and contraction?
Hope Im not out of line with this question.

geez marty, i forgot to ask about that question too ... or did i not see it right :huh: you did put crotch veneer over solid mahogany didn't you ? is there something i am not getting about wood movement :dunno:

Allen (and Jim),

One of the things that I went out of my way to do during this project was ACCOMODATE wood movement. Wood's gonna move...expect it, anticipate it, plan for it, and cross your fingers.

The crotch veneer was applied to the doors and lid. The substrate for the doors was 1/2" baltic birch. The veneer was applied (matched) to both sides of the substrate, so movement shouldn't be an issue. The substrate for the lid was a lamination of almost a dozen small strips of Mahogany, so it 'should' be pretty darn stable. And again, the crotch was applied to both sides. Movement shouldn't be an issue there either.

As for the remainder of the veneer, wood movement was planned for as evidenced by only gluing the fronts of the drawer dividers, the large loose sliding dovetail on the upper compartment, etc. Hopefully I made all the allowances I needed to so that the wood can move where it wants/needs to.

Again, you have to PLAN for wood to move. If you don't, you'll be dealing with repairs or rebuilds down the road.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words. Denise said y'all need to stop since my head won't fit through the doorways around here anymore! :rofl:

- Marty -

Up til now I've remained lurking in the shadows, but had to put my two cents in with everyone else's to let you know what an inspiration it is to see this project unfold and just to say "WOW"! Beautiful work...

Thanks Leif!

But get out of the shadows. Most folks around here don't bite...too hard...:rolleyes:

- Marty -

soooooo? does anybody have any input on the marty-n-tod roadshow?

you drive and they will come!!!!! you havnt started yet? tod and marty both you guys are well aware of your presence in this craft and if bill grumbine can go and make lectures and visits on turning you guys can do it on flat work and curve work and anything else that deals with wood you both have just as many credentials behind ya as the other folks going around teaching the craft.. go for it.. and if your close i will come,, shucks i already have just havnt had enough time yet to learn much:) :thumb::D