Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting stupid.

Hunting stupid.

I got out hunting today in Northern Michigan. I had hunted in this area once before after seeing a 150+ class buck there a few years ago. It's a rather large cedar swamp. I decided to swing around along a river to get the wind in my favor and then started skirting the swamp. I started following some large tracks and found this buck was making fresh rubs so I followed the tracks into the swamp. I did mark my truck with the GPS before leaving. Well, I got turned around and soon found myself in the middle of the durn swamp knee deep in snow, getting wet, and generally lost. Pulled out the GPS and realized the truck was 1.2 miles right through the nastiest part of the thick cedar swamp. spent 3 hours stumbling around, many false attempts to get out and having to backtrack a lot. Getting dark and starting to pray. I do always carry a survival pack, but was dreading a night out in the middle of nowhere nursing a fire to keep warm and trying to stay awake. Finally headed north away from the truck and eventually found the northern boundry road. Had a long 2 mile walk back to the truck and was pretty beat out. The only good thing was that I wore off some of that belly fat. I can understand why there is big bucks hanging out in the area. They probably figure no hunter is stupid enough to go in after them.

Years ago I was out hunting a different swamp on Thanksgiving day and found a kid chest deep in water nearly dead from hypothermia. A friend and I dragged him for 3/4 of a mile and then I ran and got my truck and buried it axle deep trying to get closer to him. We got him to the truck and stripped off his clothes and put him in with the heaters on high. I had to then jog to the nearest house 1-1/2 miles away and call an ambulance. He spent a week in the hospital. This was on my mind as I stumbled around calling myself names and praying alternately. I wasn't panicked, just mad at myself for being stupid.

You weren't stupid.

Stupid would have been stuck in the swamp with no gear. You had the tools and the wherewithal to get yourself out.

Sorry you didn't find the buck you were after, but glad you made it back in time for turkey dinner.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well said Vaughn. Brilliant minds think alike!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    ...Brilliant minds think alike!
    And then there is you and me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

When are you going back after that buck?

Sounds like an episode of Surviorman in OLN. Next time take the camera with you. Great that you made it out to tell the story.
    cheers

I got turned around in a thicket once during bow. I got caught in a driving rain storm and got soaked. After about 2 hours I finally found my way back to familiar ground. I'll just say the pucker factor was starting to go up. A buddy of mine came upon a guy once squirrel hunting. He had been lost for about 4 hours and was nearing panic. My buddy led him out of the woods and to say the least the guy was very thankful.

As my dad would say...."built some character on that trip boy!"

Excellent job keeping your wits about you. Go kill that buck now.
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Glad yu made it out!

well paul i am glad you got back and like the some of the others said you were prepared,, those of us who have been in the real wilderness can fuly understand your thoughts and would be considerd stupid if we didnt have the gear with us to get out or stay if need be,, i too saved guy one time in a hunting trip he was 8 miles from his camp and we found him in a old out house.. we lead him to the trail to where he needed to be and he thanksed us repeatbly as we were floatin across lake michigan on our return to the main land... the temps were below freezing and had 12 to 14" of snow..he would have perished in that out house had we not found him.. just remebr what you expeiernced paul and learn from it..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The area is a good 2 hours away from home and I doubt I will get the time to hunt it again this year. I actually have excellent hunting 5 min. from home. I think there has been something around 15-20 bucks taken in a 4 sq. mile area that were at or outside the ears. My son shot a nice 8 pt. opening day that measures 15-1/2". Nothing spectacular but his second 8 pt. in his 2 years hunting. Last I knew there was a big one still around that was 2-3 in. outside the ears and real tall. We are going into doe harvesting mode now. We need to cull 8 or 10 more. Last winter the deer ate all the shrubbery around my farmer friends house. They were actually standing on the front porch to get at the bushes. He wants as many "corn rats" shot as possible. We took around 6 does last year and it wasn't nearly enough. this year we have only taken 3 so far.

I like to go up North once in a while mostly for the solitude and to get a rifle out, learn new territory, and get some real exercise.