(part 1 of 4)
Every year since I built my woodworking shed/shop I have devoted a week in November to clean up, repairs and improvements. To read about the 2007 week, http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=6656.
The week starting November 10th was supposed to be that week and I did get started on the task. But, there were so many non-shop tasks right now that I managed to devote fewer than 20 hours to it. So, I extended the week to a fortnight. That fortnight ended last Sunday.
The biggest task was to clean and to clear all the clutter, but I did get to build a few things.
In the first week, I only completed two jobs, one a repair job and one an improvement. The repair was the replacement of a broken wooden top section:
on my about 30 year old Black and Decker Workmate. The first thing to do on this repair was to laminate a plywood part with the same dimensions as the broken section. I used two layers of 12mm Baltic Birch. The broken part was used as a template to mark the hole locations, then holes were drilled using my drill press:
I put three coats of spar urethane on the new part then attached it. But, there was a problem. I thought that the holes would be ¾ inch, but it turns out that they are 2 centimetres. My Workmate was made in Canada about 30 years ago and I guess that they had converted to metric at the time. I wonder if the new ‘made in China’ Workmates have metric sized holes. 2 centimetres is only a little bit bigger than ¾ inch, so drilling the holes slightly larger was tricky:
After drilling, I smoothed the edges with a roundover bit:
Then, I applied a couple more coats of spar urethane all round and re-assembled it:
There is a rather dramatic contrast between the surviving old section and the new section but everything lines up well.
The improvement was a place off the floor to store my small band saw. There is a section of wall at the north end of the west wall that has not been fully utilized:
It is mostly used to hold the carrying box for my Festool rails but the rails now mostly reside in the garage and the box is has seldom been used during the last three years. I decided to put the box in the garage and to use the wall space for cabinets to hold the small band saw as well as some systainers. The portion of this that I completed was the place to hold the band saw: