Less than 9 hours until.......

Mark Rios

.............someone, in each and every town large enough to have a mall, will get knocked down, trampled on and injured by throngs of people trying to buy a DVD player for $10.

Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
LOML is getting up at 3:45 AM to get ready to meet her gal pals for a 5:00 AM shopping spree. Me, I'll still be working, and will probably hit the hay around sunup.

Yep my wife met up with our daughter at 4am to do this shopping thing:p not me. She used to work retail for 35 years and just changed to a new job, not retail, so she is finally going to have her first black friday off ever....and went shopping :rolleyes::dunno::rofl:

I usually do go to the local Sears to see what sales they have, but had to work today. They usually have clamps on sale for about 1/3 the price. Tried going to Best Buy a couple of years back. Line ran around to the back of the store, across the parking lot, and back up the other side past the front of the store. I went back home and went to bed. :)

The only "early bird" visit I made was to Lowe's for a couple of $29 Shop Vacs. Got there about 5:30am for the 6:00am opening. I was third in line. They actually opened the doors about 5:45, so I was back home at 6:00!

While waiting at the door with a handful of people, there was a lot of discussion about the crowd at WallyWorld. Their parking lot was full and the crowd had filled several surrounding parking lots as well. Like one of the men said, "you couldn't pay me a thousand dollars to go to WalMart today!" Thankfully, WM is all the way across town -- two miles away from Lowe's!

I would not be caught dead in a store today. No way, no how...

The only "early bird" visit I made was to Lowe's for a couple of $29 Shop Vacs. Got there about 5:30am for the 6:00am opening. I was third in line. They actually opened the doors about 5:45, so I was back home at 6:00!

Like Travis I had no intention of going anywhere, but I needed some #8 x 3" cabinet screws for a mounting my kitchen cabinets. We left after breakfast and scooted over to Lowe's. Parking lot not much more crowded than a normal weekend, but the difference was in "pace" of everyone in the store. The sense of urgency to grab that product with the great price was palatable. Lowe's did not have what I needed (it was a long-shot, but they are only a mile away.)

We then went over to Hardware Sales (great local hardware store) and the pace was back to normal. They had what I needed. Headed back home, stopped off at Windsor Plywood to check out what hardwood was on sale (Need to build one set of paint grade doors for the kitchen) and there was no crowds or sense of buying desperation. I guess it would be different if they slashed their prices by 50%.

Now we will be going right by Grizzly Tools and they are never open on the weekend... maybe they are open today. I really did not expect them to be open, thinking they were letting their employees enjoy a 4 day weekend. Boy am I naive! The parking lot was almost full. Well, we are here and we might as well look around. They were having some Thankgiving Sale. Browsed around some, but now the crowds are starting to get to me, time to head home and to my "honey do" list.

OK, the people are really bugging me on the road now. Driving and not knowing where they are going. Most of them driving as if they are confused what all those pedals mean. I am a mission orientated person and that includes driving.

"Your mission, Bill, should you decide to accept it, is to drive this vehicle in the shortest amount of time back to your house . . . As always, should you or any member of your I.M. Force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape will
self-destruct in five seconds."

All in all, we were gone for about an hour and a half, but I got my fill of the buying frenzy. The only problem that I have is that I need some more wood for some projects and may have to take a trip to Seattle tomorrow.:eek:

.............someone, in each and every town large enough to have a mall, will get knocked down, trampled on and injured by throngs of people trying to buy a DVD player for $10.

Happy Holidays.

How right you were... I just caught the end of a newcast saying that a WalMart employee (I didn't catch where) was killed during the opening stampede. He/she was trampled to death by the mob.

How pathetic we've become!

How right you were... I just caught the end of a newcast saying that a WalMart employee (I didn't catch where) was killed during the opening stampede. He/she was trampled to death by the mob.

I heard the same thing. I cant believe people need something that bad.
I took FIL to Lows we waited in the pickup for doors to open. A few people there but not bad, we got what we wanted and came home. Wife and MIL went other places, wife came home with some Diamond ear rings from some great buy and said it was my present to her. Great now I don't need to shop for her.
Stacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney

So sad. That was in Valley Stream New York, out on Long Island. A 34 year old male employee (possibly a security guard) was attempting to keep people who had litterally broken down the doors to the WM store @ about 5:00 AM, under control.

And what was all this about?

According to one person interviewed, it was to get:

"$400.00 flat panel TV's".

A man is dead, trying to do his job, killed because of electronics.

Aloha, (and I'm not going shopping) Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
it was the Walmart in Valley Stream NY, south nassau, less than 10 minutes from where I live.

My kids dont shop at that Mall area, but my wife and daughter went shopping around 9am with a bunch of women to stores on the northern side of nassau.
Me, I stayed home and fought slow drying polyurethane most of the morning.

Last edited: