Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm back on the injured reserve list.........

Tokyo Japan

I'm back on the injured reserve list.........

Yep, I'm stuck setting on my be-hind for the next week, daily visits to the hospital for an IV

A few days ago, I noticed a clear liquid leaking, sometimes from the center of the scar where one of my ulcers was, it was so little fluid, less than if you shed a tear, so I was thinking "What the heck?"
    My leg felt fine, and I've been doing my best to get lots of sleep, no late night Dungeon visits etc, so what gives

I have an appointment to see the doctor next week for a check on my leg, so I thought that would be fine. Friday around 4 AM I work up, as is my habit, to the call of nature, and to check on my girls (I even do this in the summer when they are in Canada, dunno why but I do) I felt just fine. At 6:30AM my wife's alarm goes off, so she can get up to get the kids off to school, I usually NEVER hear her alarm, but I woke up, and I was freezing cold (it is NOT cold here now, cool, but not cold) I had a good couple of thick wool blankets, usually enough for most of the winter here, in late January there are a couple of weeks when I dig out the down quilt, (remember, we have no central heating here in Japan). My wife piles her 4" thick down comforter on me and I'm still freezing, she takes my temp and I'm at 41.1C that is about 106F, yep, hot. I took some ibuprofen, and my wife put a cold pack on my head, and under each armpit, in about an hour my temp was way down, like down to 39C (102F). I then laid in bed all day, as I thought I had the flu, it is going around here now. Around 4 PM, when I went downstairs to watch some DVDs, I noticed my leg hurt, I though "Why would my leg hurt?" I pulled up my pant leg, and I saw my leg was an ANGRY Red color......... Oh boy.......

Off to the doctor, she gave me an IV with antibiotics and was arranging for the ambulance to take me to the hospital, but they did not have any beds at the hospital for me, and it was Friday night you know, they don't check in new patients on Friday after 6PM (which it was now) Geez, don't get sick on the weekend

My wife took me to the hospital, they took some blood for tests and gave me another IV of more drugs and fluids. My white blood cell count was WAY up as well as my CPR* levels so they were concerned, and wanted to admit me, fortunately, they had no open beds, so after sucking their teeth three times, they sent me home. It helped that I could just about look out the window and point to our building. Today I went back for another IV and blood test, the white blood cell count was down, not a ton, but down, the CPR level was actually up, but not a lot, they figure it will come down by tomorrow. As the CPR level had NOT come down, they want me back in tomorrow, Sunday, for another IV. I've avoided the hospital ward so far, and I really, REALLY do not wish to go there again, anytime soon.

Of course we are really busy, and my long suffering wife has to take up my slack, and it really burns me up that she has to.

I'll be embarking on a lifestyle change here in the next few weeks, I'm only 44 years old, I should be in way better shape than I am.

I guess this is sort of a wake up call, I do not know if this whole infection with my leg is due to me being about 100 pounds overweight, but it cannot be helping things.

So............. how was your day

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, everyone's support is greatly appreciated.

C-Reactive Protein: CPR is an acute phase that is produced by the liver in response to the elevated levels of the cytokines, such as interleukin-6 that accompany acute inflammation. CRP levels rise within 6 h of an inflammatory stimulus and double every 89 h thereafter. The clearance rate of CRP is constant, with a serum half-life of about 24h.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sorry to hear that Stu, but on the bright side it seems that we need to stop and rest the most when we don't have time. Perhaps your down time can help you recharge.

As for your wife's added load, perhaps you can get a maid or some sort of hired help for the week to kind of ease the load ??? We did that when Patty was on bed rest for a few months due to a bad pregnancy. It may not be in the cards but its a suggestion that worked for us.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

London, Ontario

Man, that has got to be frustrating! Sorry to hear it. Here's praying for a speedy recovery!

(Geez, did the doctors leave something inside last time they were poking around? How else are you getting an infection starting inside your leg!? )

Try not to go stir-crazy!
    There's usually more than one way to do it... ........

Tokyo Japan
    Thank you Travis

We are blessed with two wonderful daughters, they also help, in fact tonight we have a delivery to do, yes at nearly 10 PM, to a local festival, my wife knows that she cannot take a cart into the crowd to deliver the beer, so she took the two girls to carry a case of beer each (three cases for delivery). Otherwise we would really be in trouble.

Just got to love retail
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

New Springfield OH
    Take it easy Stu, I know thats hard sometimes.

You know I'll be pulling for you..

Southeast Pa

Sorry to hear of the present problems. I hope you get better fast. And I think a couple of us need to take off some weight.

Best Garry

Take it easy Stu, now that you have all those new toys to play with, that darn leg starts messing again.

I understand how frustrating makes you feel not being able to help your wife, but take it on the positive side.

It is making you to rethink your lifestyle and I think it is good.
    I agree that being in better shape would help you and getting rid of that extra weight will help a lot, after all you went to Japan to learn martial arts didn't you?

Take care and do not underestimate those ulcers, they take long to heal.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Waterford, MI
    The only bright side there id that you dont have to stay in the hospital. I spent a week getting IV antibiotics a couple years ago and was ready to pull my hair out from boredom. Nothing to do between the IV bottle every 6 hours but watch TV. I'd much rather done it the way you're doing it. At least you get to sleep in your own bed and do some of your normal routine. Hang in there.
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX
    Stu, that stinks! So sorry to hear of the flare up. Hopefully a week of IV w/antibiotics will get you going. I bet they keep you on oral antibiotics for a while. If they don't, maybe you should suggest it, to keep this thing licked until it really heals. It could be that the body is attacking the scar tissue, thinking it is a foreign enemy. But that initial body temp is scary.
    Get well! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Stu, Sorry to hear that. It gets old setting on your butt and watching TV for days, doesn't it? Get well soon! Maybe it's the gods of reciprosity making things even for all those awsome tool aquisitions you've scored lately. 106 degree temp?!!! Man, I feel like I've been hit by a train when I get a temp of 101! I'ts good to have a supporting family. Don't feel too bad about your wife if she's anything like mine, she's in her glory when she's nursing me or the kids when we're sick. Hang in there! Barry