I'm back on the injured reserve list.........

Hi Stu,

Hope you get better real quick and take this as a little bit of a wake up call. You have a wonderful family that need you, and need you in good health, both short term AND long term.

Use this time to brush up on your Sketchup skills and you may appreciate the down time a little more.

We will be praying for your recovery.

Regards,
Bill Antonacchio

My best to you, Stu. You also made my prayer list.

With regard to lifestyle changes that result in losing weight, you need to remember only two things. Fewer calories ingested plus more energy burned will result in weight loss. Don't try diets that make you feel deprived. Eat your favorite healthy foods. Eat them in moderation. Try some new healthy foods. You may find some new favorites. And exercise in healthy ways.

Here is what works for me. Portion control for the first helping. You may have to wean yourself to the reduced portion. Then clear up the dishes and such. Now set the timer for 20 minutes. If at that time you are still hungry, you may have a second helping. For me that is usually too much trouble!

Start drinking lots of clear water. When I had kidney stones, I learned that the kidneys are the sewage disposal plant of the body. Sewage disposal plants needs lots of clear water to function properly. Ridding your body of unwanted fat needs a fully functioning sewage disposal plant. Yes, you have to go to the bathroom more often. Take that a sign of success!

And, yes, it does cost more to eat healthy, but not as much as being sick costs. Not to mention, because you already did, the cost to your loved ones when you are down for the count.

These are things to think about when you consider someone's diet formula.

You are a special guy on this forum. Accept our expressions of care and concern in that context. :type:

Now, that Thanksgiving is over and I can almost snap my britches together at the waist, and before the Christmas food tempts me further, I need to go look for my timer. Every hour for a full glass of water, and twenty minutes after my first helping. I need to visit that place where my clothes hang on me because I've lost weight. :D

Awww man, that is not what I want to hear from you Stu. Sorry that you are going through this, again. Sounds like what I experienced many years ago. Ulcers on my ankle that just would not heal. The watery drainage is your white blood cells that have expired. It is good to have them leave the body as they carry toxins they fought (and died ridding your body of) out of your system. (At least this is what my doctor told me) Infections are nothing to take lightly. It is absolutely correct that you MUST clean and disinfect ANY scratch or cut, immedialely, so bacteria can not get inside you. Our skin is one heck of an isolator of that stuff, but when it gets compromised (cut or scratched) you are now open to the bad world.

Please take good care of yourself for Emiko, the kids, yourself and,,,US. We will keep you and your recovery in our thoughts and prayers.

Check your P/M's.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Stu,
Sorry about your problem & it seems like the girls are really helping Emiko that has to be a load off your mind. Very responsible young ladies.
We'll keep you in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

I'm only 44 years old...about 100 pounds overweight

I've got some really good books to read............ Like the South Beach Diet

Stu,

I was in this exact position last year. I was out of town and developed severe lower back pain. I ended up going to the hospital, finding out I had a kidney stone. While I was there I was diagnosed with diabetes also. Talk about a wake up call. We had 4 kids, 17, 13, 3 and 3 months old at the time. I had to do some serious life style changes.

Over the last year, I've dropped 65 lbs. The South Beach book is a good book. It really teaches you the right things to eat. Its not like Atkins, where carbs are totally off limits.

Hang in there and remember you didn't put it all on at once. A nice slow steady loss is what your after. 1 lb a week is 52 lbs in a year.

Regards,

Randy

Stu,

I was in this exact position last year. I was out of town and developed severe lower back pain. I ended up going to the hospital, finding out I had a kidney stone. While I was there I was diagnosed with diabetes also. Talk about a wake up call. We had 4 kids, 17, 13, 3 and 3 months old at the time. I had to do some serious life style changes.

Over the last year, I've dropped 65 lbs. The South Beach book is a good book. It really teaches you the right things to eat. Its not like Atkins, where carbs are totally off limits.

Hang in there and remember you didn't put it all on at once. A nice slow steady loss is what your after. 1 lb a week is 52 lbs in a year.

Regards,

Randy

Randy,
good for you! My wife 'lucked' out with the diabetes diagnosis, but I'm a 'good' candidate as well. We've all been eating healthier, and as you say, a slow weight loss is the best way. I'm down almost 20 lbs since early July, my Doc says if I keep that up he won't put me on any metabolic enhancers.

Way to go Ned and Randy, you guys inspire me! :thumb:

I'm reading and reading the South Beach Diet (SBD) book, and I can see where it is similar to Atkins and also very different. I've not "Officially" started it yet, but I'm going that way already, and I've lost 2 pounds, no really I have, I just got to think different about food :thumb:

BTW, this is how big I've gotten.........

stu_suzy.jpg
I'm standing with my cousin Suzy, she is such a nice gal, really helped with my dad when my mom had her brain aneurysm last year, as you can see, I'm rather large compared to her, she is in good shape.

Last edited:
I did the SBD, and it's good. But, with the holidays, and being "home alone" I've got to be back on it. It' one you can stick with, it's easy, and there when you need it again.... :rofl: :rofl:

Stu, I hope you get doing better and stay off that leg. About 5 years ago my wife and I finally were going to have a baby after 11 years of trying. By this time we are what most would call older parents. My wife was 42 and I was 38 and about 80lbs overweight. The day we found out she was pregnant I decided that I wanted to be a good role model for my kid. I lost 80lbs over the next year and we had a wonderful boy that is now 4 1/2 years old. I always said that I did not want a fat kid and it starts with me.

I to did the low carbohydrate type diet. It worked well, is easy to follow, and easy to maintain. Like you said it is a lifestyle change and it will always be that because if you go back you weight will go back on. It was the single best thing I have ever done for my health. It made everything better. Energy, blood chemistry, blood pressure, aches and pains. I tell my wife all the time I feel like I am 16 again and I really do.

If you don't do it for yourself (later you will be glad you did) do it for your daughters. They need a healthy, happy, dad for many years to come. Your wife will also love you for it.

Good Luck

Alan

Over weight and diabetes is a big problem here on the Big Island. Most of it comes from the amount of rice the locals eat. Many will eat rice with every meal some of these "braddas" are big boys!:eek: All that starch turns into sugar. I would imagine that you eat a fare amount of rice in Japan and that may be the hardest part of giving up if you eat out a lot. Take care Stu...... I'm just starting to make a list of questions to ask you!

Aloha:wave:

Thanks people!

I got back from the hospital, no IV today, they have put me on oral antibiotics, seems my numbers are much improved, my CRP was 22 on Saturday it is now 2.8 :thumb: (Zero is what I want, shows now infection at all).

I'm still barred from work and the Dungeon :doh:but at least I'm home :thumb: and I can pester you lot :D

I'm doing the SBD and I'm finding it very easy to follow, and I'm feeling better already, I had some real aches and pains in my knees recently (most likely made worse by the infection that was about to flair up) and those pains are just about gone, in just a couple of day of being off white sugar and white flour :eek:

Alan stories like yours inspire me, thanks!:thumb:

Royall, don't worry, I plan to be around a long time yet to ask a lot of questions myself :wave:

Cheers!