Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: backing up digital pictures?

backing up digital pictures?

Like many I have acquired a boat load of digital pics that are saved on my hard drive. Hard drives being what they are I would like to back them up to a more permanent media. How do you back up your digital photos?

I've been using DVD's, but have also started using Google's Picasa (uploading to their website). Picasa is limited to 1 GB of space and I just bought a new Canon 10 megapixal that I'm shooting mostly in RAW format. The file sizes for RAW on it are basically 10 MB each, so been looking at using SmugMug's site ($30 per year) for storage, which is "unlimited".

If you choose to use Picasa, it gives you the option to resize your photos upon upload, so can easily manage the space you have, beyond that it's $20 to upgrade to 10GB (per year). The web album also works well for integration into websites or if you simply want to send someone a link to the album. It's also free.

here are the links:

http://picasaweb.google.com

http://www.smugmug.com
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

back up

at work i deal with many pics and files aswell that we need to keep at hand for the futur.. we used a dlt tape back up but since then it alsolike hard drives arent everlasting.. so we know use three methodes one the job goes on a cd or dvd,,dvds hold much more and are easily made on most modern computers..then we have a exteranl hard drive that has mirror feature which for most is over kill but has its place depending on what your wanting to hang on to.. the dlt tape drive has a retrieve feature that allows us to retrrieve the files we want threw a software program..as for the simplist methode i would go for the dvd..one draw back though tis that you might be restricted to making one back up and not adding to it later..therefore not using the whole disk efficiently
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Lots of ways of doing this but here is mine.

I install a second hard drive in my computer. They are cheap and it's fairly easy to do. Hardest part is working inside the case on most computers. I was just pricing drives and you can pick up I think it was 200 gig HD for $50!

I use a piece of software called SyncBack. No longer free but only about $30 I think? WELL WORTH THE PRICE!! It is a little tricky to set up because it will do so much. But it runs in the background and and you do nothing.

I set mine up to back up my critical files every 15 minutes. It checks the folder(s) I specify and after the first run, it checks for any changes. If I have altered or added a new file it will copy only the changes to the second hard drive. You don't even know it is running. And the odds of two drives failing at once are pretty slim too.

I also take this one step further. Because I am required to keep my work files for 5 years and I save everything digitally now backups are critical. I have an old very slow computer in the shop that is mainly a music player. I added a second drive to it too. SyncBack will work across my network so I do backups to this computer too. All my data files are on three drives now. Only way I will loose all three drives is going to theft of the computers more than likely.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I lost several years pics to a hard drive crash a couple years back, so I guess I overdo it a bit ---

• Second internal hard drive
    • External hard drive
    • DVD's

I back up the second internal drive very often, back up the external every couple months depending on how many pic's I've taken. I'm slowly working on sorting, organizing and transferring to DVD's. They are external, copy-able, and transportable. Hopefully, they are long lasting.

Tony, BCE '75

I saw a 500 GB external drive the other day for 70 bucks, IIRC. Can't remember if it was a Buy.com email special, or a Fry's ad. Bad thing, that would only save you 50 raw pictures!!! So it sounds like lots and lots of DVDs are in your future. Be sure to devise yourself a labeling system, and see if you can somehow build a searchable database for retrieving the pictures again later. Maybe something with a thumbnail of the picture for easier identification? I'm pretty sure most DVD software will let you choose during the burn if you want to be able to add to the disc. At least Nero does. A basic version of Nero came with the Pioneer DVD burner I got LOML last summer. Do far, very happy with it. On sale at Frys it was 39.99, and free shipping IIRC. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Lots of options these days. You can pay for off-site storage space. Use DVDs or CDs. Or use a USB hard drive as someone suggested. I was talking with my son about this. He found a 1.5 terabyte hd for only $150.00. I know what a terabyte is but really can't get my mind around the enormous capacity for storage that is. Incredible. That is the route I'm going to go. I have tons of photos stored in my computer and would cry if I lost them.

p.s. 'terabyte' is spelled as spell check told me to do. It doesn't look right. True geeks out there, please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Lots of options these days. You can pay for off-site storage space. Use DVDs or CDs. Or use a USB hard drive as someone suggested. I was talking with my son about this. He found a 1.5 terabyte hd for only $150.00. I know what a terabyte is but really can't get my mind around the enormous capacity for storage that is. Incredible. That is the route I'm going to go. I have tons of photos stored in my computer and would cry if I lost them.

p.s. 'terabyte' is spelled as spell check told me to do. It doesn't look right. True geeks out there, please advise.
    Looks right to me Frank. I believe that DVD and CD's only have a shelf life of about 10 years or so from what I was told recently by some photo pros. There are some 'gold' discs that have a longer life. I think the key though is to keep backups in multiple places and off-site. That is why the hosting site option worked for me.

Also for those saving to more than one disk, you could also look at a RAID type of system. In this type of system the data is striped across multiple disks in the system, so if one disk goes bad, the other disks have all the same data. The bad disk is removed and replace with a new one and the system re-stripes the data back onto the new disk. Again, not a full proof system, since the house could blow away, keep a backup in another place.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Only way I will loose all three drives is going to theft of the computers more than likely.
    Better hope Mother Nature didn't hear you say this. One of my neighbors lost all electronics in his house recently due to lightning.
    Darren

Only 6 million photos on a 1.5 tb?
    I'll have to buy two.