backing up digital pictures?

Mike got it right with Carbonite, works great, but only on Windoze XP not Win 2k.

This (carbonite) is the service I've been looking at. Are you happy with it? any problems with your PC slowing down?:dunno:

Anyone experienced with jungledisk.com ??

It is also an on-line backup service. It does support Mac and Linux, as well as Windows. And it is supposed to be very fast, since they use the Amazon S3 server service on the back end. On the other hand, they charge $0.15/GB/Mth versus Carbonite's flat-rate option.

(the break even point there seems to be about 27 GB. If you have less, then Jungledisk will be cheaper, if you have more, then the flat-rate fee is more in your favour -- at least if I've done the math right.)

2 SATA hard drives configured RAID
External USB drive
Every night it backs up everything thats changed to my nephews computer via the Internet.

He runs 2 hard drives and one external, and does early morning backups to mine.

And the important things like all of our farm and field records get printed out and stored in a safe.

"Carbonite" looks like a good option. Some customers did have complaints though and you should read the reviews on Amazon.com.

One other thing about Carbonite is that they do reserve the option of limiting usage (see their Terms), if the monthly usage exceeds the average use.

Carbonite must be good. Rush Limbaugh reccomends it. :rofl:
Oh, I forgot, I also back up my writing on Yahoo Briefcase. Free and password protected. I'm sure there is a limit but for text only it is plenty adequate.

My data files are on a 1TB RAID-5 array in my main home machine, and I drop an occasional mirror image onto an external USB drive. (Not real consistent about copying it over, since it's real slow.) I recently saw somewhere (I think it was Newegg.com) advertising 1TB SATA drives for $99. I plan to keep my eyes on the prices, and before long I figure I'll set up an external SATA drive instead, so it'll be faster to back up. At that point I'll probably actually start running backup software to automate the process. (Any suggestions?) I also drop occasional copies of things like my My Documents folder onto my other machine, which has about 1TB of non-RAID storage.

My apps and OS are on a separate physical drive, and I keep periodic restorable images of it in a few places.

Carbonite sounds like it might be a good idea, just to have some off-site backup as well. I plan to look into it more.

I'm still amazed at how the prices for disk and flash storage have dropped over the years. I recently picked up a Corsair 8GB USB flash drive for $10 (after the $10 rebate). That's roughly 200 times more storage than my first laptop had, and about $3,990 cheaper. When I first go into the software business in 1991, a terabyte of disk storage (which was unfathomable at the time) would have cost about $325 million. Now you can buy it for $100 if you shop around.

vaughn for my everyday work style we use retrospect for retrival,,it has many opitons that allows fast retrival.of specified items..not sure about the password option we dont use them at work.tomany folk need in there at imes when i am not there.

My data files are on a 1TB RAID-5 array in my main home machine, and I drop an occasional mirror image onto an external USB drive. (Not real consistent about copying it over, since it's real slow.) I recently saw somewhere (I think it was Newegg.com) advertising 1TB SATA drives for $99. I plan to keep my eyes on the prices, and before long I figure I'll set up an external SATA drive instead, so it'll be faster to back up. At that point I'll probably actually start running backup software to automate the process. (Any suggestions?) I also drop occasional copies of things like my My Documents folder onto my other machine, which has about 1TB of non-RAID storage.

My apps and OS are on a separate physical drive, and I keep periodic restorable images of it in a few places.

Carbonite sounds like it might be a good idea, just to have some off-site backup as well. I plan to look into it more.

I'm still amazed at how the prices for disk and flash storage have dropped over the years. I recently picked up a Corsair 8GB USB flash drive for $10 (after the $10 rebate). That's roughly 200 times more storage than my first laptop had, and about $3,990 cheaper. When I first go into the software business in 1991, a terabyte of disk storage (which was unfathomable at the time) would have cost about $325 million. Now you can buy it for $100 if you shop around.

Yer gettin' this cheapskate upset. :bonkers: I recently bought two 2GB flash drives at Wally World, on clearance no less, for $11.00 each and thought I was getting a bargain. :bang:
BTW, I understood most of yer geek speek, but don't know what a RAID is. Wattizit?
Seriously, the subject is beyond fascinating. Where will it all go in the next few years? Are hard drives in computers going to become dinosaurs?

Frank a raid array is basically a splitter for your computer data, instead of the data being written onto one HDD it is written on to two HDD simultaneously, they are a "Mirror" image of each other, if one fails, the system reboots, you break the mirror so the bad drive is removed, then you turn the machine off, and insert a new drive were the busted drive was and rebuild the mirror.

It works very well, I have one and it did not cost much at all.

BTW, RAID stands for "Redundant Array of Independent Disks"

>> HERE << is a good outline of RAID set ups

I use mine in the "disc mirroring" or Raid "1" set up, you can also do what is called "Disk Striping" or Raid "0" which lets you put together a bunch of smaller drives into one large drive. The Raid "0" has become fairly outdated now, as you can easily and cheaply buy a 1TB drive.

Cheers!

To expand on what Stu mentioned, my RAID array is "Level 5", which means the data is spread in chunks across three hard drives. Also spread across those three hard drives is what's called "parity data" which is simply the information the computer needs to know in order to restore any missing data if one of the hard drives fails. Because of this extra parity data, it takes three 500MB hard drives to make a 1TB RAID volume. I believe I can still add more disk drive and increase the capacity if necessary.

Setting it up was pretty easy. I plugged in three drives, and during one of the boot-up screens I told the computer to make those three drives into a RAID5 array. The electronics that do the actual work -- the disk controller -- is built into my motherboard. After the array is created, from then on it just looks like "Drive D" to me and Windows. But of one of my hard drives dies, I can simply plug in a new one, and tell the computer to rebuild the missing data. (If two drives die simultaneously, I'm hung. That's why alternative backups are also important.)