Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage question....

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Storage question....

How many of you keep those plastic tool cases that come with your tools? I looked at a pile of them in the shop and think how many are usually empty because the tool is usually elsewhere. I was thinking that now that I'm getting some storage together that I'll dump most of them and just put the tool in a drawer. What are you doing with them?

Aloha
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    How many of you keep those plastic tool cases that come with your tools? I looked at a pile of them in the shop and think how many are usually empty because the tool is usually elsewhere. I was thinking that now that I'm getting some storage together that I'll dump most of them and just put the tool in a drawer. What are you doing with them?

Aloha
    Mine went out at a yard sale - $1 each. Sold them all! Have not the slightest idea what others might do with the.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I kept the one for my sawz all and trim router. Every thing else has been put on a shelf or in a drawer. Most of the cases are not meant to have the tools put back in unless you are good at shoe horning them.

I have a dead space under the stair well in my shop. It is filling up with those cases.

Storage question....

I have saved a few that I use for storing other things, like screws and cutter bits. Fact is, I take my Dremel and cut the molded inner panels out so I have a nice open box. That works for me (photos later)

Hey Royall, check your e-mail.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

I use some and toss some. Items that stay in their cases in a storage cabinet are:
    Framing nailer
    Brad nailer
    Pin nailer
    Routers -- 1617EVSPK with motor in each base.
    Sawzall
    Screwdriver set
    Nutdriver set
    Dremel
    Pop riveter
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Im going to put them under my home in the crawl space.
    I dont throw them out simply because whenever I upgrade, Ill get rid of them, and I believe people in general pay more money for used tools that come with the original cases and instruction booklet.
    It also usually eliminates their suspicion that the tool might have been stolen off a job site.(I dont think crooks ask the owners for the instruction manuals)

now, they just take up valuable space where I could be storing wood.

I dont want to give vaughn any ideas, but they make a great backstop for my pellet rifle when Im bored and shoot wooden blocks up on the rafters. Keeps the pellets from damaging anything else up there.
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-29-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Most are over the rafters waiting for the garage sale. Ones I keep are jigsaw, dremel, pinner and nailer just because there are lotsa little things that go with them and they all fit in the cases provided. This is not always the case (no pun intended) as some cases are over-done or are too sparse; those hit the highway.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I keep mine, because I use them both at home in and out of the shop, and doing projects for friends around town OR for my daughters (350 miles away) and it eliminates damage in transit, AND keeps me from leaving some smaller items at other places when I finish a project. IF I don't find another storage use for them when I wear a tool out, I then discard the case with the tool, (that is WHEN I finally DO give the "Final Rites" to a tool).

Yes and no.

Router boxes are still here but are getting ugly to look at. Sircular saw is in use as I keep the saw in there. Drill boxes have been converted to hold my Pnumatic staplers (they came in a cardboard box) one for the 1/2" crown and another for the 1/4" crown Brad gun is in its own. Jig saw is stored in its own. Been looking hard at tossing the Plate Joiner box, as I keep it in a drawer.