Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lathe chuck

lathe chuck

This is for NIKI if he can come up with an idea,or anyone else. I have a shopsmith lathe. I want to start to use a chuck but the ONEWAY is way out of my price range. any ideas on how to make a home made chuck that will work? I know i will have to order an adapter from Shopsmith a 1'' x 8tpi but from there i hit a stump. I do not know where to go or what to try.

Ralph,
    welcome to the forums. Check out the link here... the first chuck listed is one I'm looking hard at, like you I'm limiited on my budget, but still want to get into bowl turning.

http://www.timstoolcrib.com/products.php
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Tafoya View Post
    This is for NIKI if he can come up with an idea,or anyone else. I have a Shopsmith lathe. I want to start to use a chuck but the ONEWAY is way out of my price range. any ideas on how to make a home made chuck that will work? I know i will have to order an adapter from Shopsmith a 1'' x 8tpi but from there i hit a stump. I do not know where to go or what to try.
    Shopsmith does not sell adapters, you can find them on eBay or Packard Woodworks for less then $25. They go from the Shopsmith to the propriety internal thread of a Nova Chuck or you can get a universal adapter from Shopsmith to 1" x 8 TPI and then get a Nova chuck or other brand that fits a 1" x 8 TPI male thread. Inexpensive adapters run about $16 and are available from Amazon and others and I don't recommend them, I paid about $45 for a very high precision one made in US.

I have a Jet mini & it has 1 x 8 TPI I bought a Barracuda II chuck.
    This one http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin.../dp/B000KIACTG it comes with 4 sets of jaws & is threaded for a 1 x 8 already. This is a great chuck & I've had no problem with it all all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Beland View Post
    I have a Jet mini & it has 1 x 8 TPI I bought a Barracuda II chuck.
    This one http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin.../dp/B000KIACTG it comes with 4 sets of jaws & is threaded for a 1 x 8 already. This is a great chuck & I've had no problem with it all all.
    The issue is not the chuck but the quality of the adapter that goes between a Shopsmith 5/8" Male rod and the 1 x 8 TPI chuck.

Some of the adapters have weak threads for the screw that holds the adapter to the Shopsmith arbor, others I have seen are not round so they wobble.

lathe chuck

Well boys i found the answer in the Australian form. take a pice of plywood ,mount on face plate true up,put rim of bowl on plywood ,trace the diameter of the rim,put back on lathe cut a groove on the ply then attach bowl to ply with (they said filament tape) not sue which tape BUT shrink wrap would work i am sure. it would hold the bowl tite to finish the bottom.

Well boys i found the answer in the Australian form. take a pice of plywood ,mount on face plate true up,put rim of bowl on plywood ,trace the diameter of the rim,put back on lathe cut a groove on the ply then attach bowl to ply with (they said filament tape) not sue which tape BUT shrink wrap would work i am sure. it would hold the bowl tite to finish the bottom.
    You might check out what's called a "donut chuck". Do a search and you'll find instructions on how to make one. Actually, if you see a picture of one, you can figure out how to make it. It might be more secure than what you describe, and you don't have to use (and clean up) any tape.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ralph, I found >>>this PDF<<< somewhere and saved it. It has quite a few different ways to finish the bottom of a piece (donut chuck included).

BTW welcome to the Family.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

lathe chuck

thanks guys i have it now.I now have so many options i will be confused till i try all of them and that my friends will take some time i think. When you try something you will see and think of other ways to do it with the same object or tool or jig. again thanks a whole lot very helpful YES!

thanks guys i have it now.I now have so many options i will be confused till i try all of them and that my friends will take some time i think. When you try something you will see and think of other ways to do it with the same object or tool or jig. again thanks a whole lot very helpful YES!
    Ralph, one thing I've learned is that no single method works for all situations, so having a variety of options is an advantage. Trying them all is a good thing.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com