Question about antiques

Chuck Beland

I have a question about a antique steamer trunk. The below pic is a steamer trunk a little over 100 yrs old this is from my wife's Aunt's family when they came to the USA over 100 yrs ago from Ireland. Right now I have it stored in my basement & we would like to sell it cause the amount Aunt Rena is paying for the nursing home is astronomical.

I would like to try to sell it on either E-Bay or Craig's list but I'm stumped about how much I should ask for it. Any ideas from anybody?

Click the pic for full size.

If you sell it at Auction, the nice thing is it should bring market price. No price setting to be done. I start my auctions at $1 and so far have always brought good prices.

No idea what trunks are worth, but check EBay and see what they have sold for. In case you didn't know, you can search for closed auctions and see the selling prices.

Prices in antique shops are all over the place.
I believe yours is just a 'trunk' and not a 'steamer trunk'. Steamer trunks have rounded tops.
From what I have seen, I believe a couple hundred, tops. Ye ain't gonna retire from it's sale.

Frank,
I would be giddy if I got $100 for it. Just some extra money to hide from the nursing home to be used for Aunt Rena in case she wants or needs anything. She's done traveling she's been around the world 3 or 4 times & now she's 92 yrs old & is in the beginnings of Alzheimer's.:(

Chuck, those are not as rare as you may think. My x-wife had an antique shop in the 80's and 90's, and we would come across many of them at auctions, back then they would bring $10 to $30 at the auction, and after cleaning up and putting in the shop we where lucky to get $60 or $70 for them. Look around on the trunk and see if you can find a name on it, then search the net for a price. There is a trunk guy on this board, his names escapes me right now, but he might help you too. Jerry