Christmas Early

Well I guess I must be the last one with a C-man/Palmgren 15" lathe. The motor went out and I am not fixing it again. It will get a nice burial at the metal yard Friday. So went to Denver yesterday to pick up my Christmas gift that the LOML already had paid for. Didn't realize that she had called Woodcraft or Rockler in Denver in which Rockler had one in stock. She told me she had called as soon as she found out that the C-man went down and that I was looking at the Jet 1220 VS. I must say there is no comparison. This thing is sweet, quiet, and smooth. Speed control is smooth. Points on livecenter and drive center are dead on up/down and side to side. I am going to give it a go after lunch and turn a bottle stopper to see how she preforms.

Attachments

• Jet 1220 VS 1.jpg
    Jet 1220 VS 1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Jet 1220 VS 2.jpg
    Jet 1220 VS 2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 56
  • Jet 1220 VS 4.jpg
    Jet 1220 VS 4.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 56
Aw, c'mon now Bernie...admit it. You've gonna miss that loud humming sound, and cranking the knob as far as possible trying to slow things down a bit more, and taking it apart regularly to fix something. :rofl:

Congrats on the new lathe, Bud. :thumb:

Aw, c'mon now Bernie...admit it. You've gonna miss that loud humming sound, and cranking the knob as far as possible trying to slow things down a bit more, and taking it apart regularly to fix something. :rofl:

Congrats on the new lathe, Bud. :thumb:

Thanks. Not a chance my friend that I am not going to miss that. This Jet is so quiet. Nope sorry, ain't missing it. :wave::wave:

Congratulations Bernie looks nice. Those seem to be nice little lathes. Your wife is a keeper for sure.

Alan

Congrats Bernie!!!

How many lathes have you bought so far, 4, 5, 6?????:huh::huh:

C-man, DVR, Rikon????? Jet mini????

No Barry have had 4 so far. The C-man, Rikon, Nova and now this Jet 1220. The C-man is going for burial at the metal place Friday. So now it is the Rikon, Jet and Nova. Can't have to many toys...........errrrrrr I mean tools.:rofl: Don't tell her I said that.

Thanks all. I turned 4 bottle stoppers on it this afternoon and I must say it was a lot of fun. It is quiet and seems to have plenty of power. I have a 11" maple bowl blank I am hoping to give it a go on it. We will see how it handles that. So far I am extremely pleased.

How lucky was it that your bench has a cut out in it just the right size too :eek: :D

OK, I see the point of having the smaller lathe than the DVR, but a Rikon and a Jet mini :huh: :dunno:

Got to say, looks like some real overlap in lathe sizes there Bernie :D

More power to you, someone has to stimulate the economy :thumb:

I got that Geetech lathe, which is the same as the Grizzly G0657 10 x 16 Heavy-Duty Bench-Top Wood Lathe
g0657.jpg

and I was really surprised at how smooth it is.

Anyway, congrats on the wonderful wife and the early Christmas present :thumb:

Cheers!

Thanks Stu. Yep got to stimulate the economy somehow. I looked at the Grizzly 1220 and the Jet but went with the Jet with the 5 yr. warranty. Both were smooth running and the Griz would make a good addition for anyone especially at the price.

Yes I am going to keep her. She has put up with me for 41 yrs. this month.

As I said one can never have to many toys....err I mean tools.:rofl: Trying to get the shop set up the way I want it before I retire this next year. 12 months and 29 days from now.

Bernie,
I see a problem with your new lathe... matter of fact I saw it immediately....

It's too clean. I think it would look much better with saw dust and glue and some kind of finish and such dripped on it.... :rofl::rofl:

Frank check out the bottle stoppers I made today on it. Easy to make and sell well.

They are beautiful Bernie!

So far I have made a half dozen or so, as gifts. I do like your designs and can see why they are popular. I ordered several ice cream scoop kits from Rockler, so they too will be Christmas gifts.

All the best to you!

Frank

Thanks again. Frank where is Alexandria from Richmond? My boy lives in Richmond and we get down to visit at times. Most times though our time is full if we only stay the week and we are flying. Maybe when I retire I will have more time and will have my own vehicle.

Frank where is Alexandria from Richmond?

Thank you Bernie. I can't remember which it is; Richmond is 100 miles south of Alexandria, or Alexandria is 100 miles north of Richmond. Take your pick.

I live in the Washington, DC suburbs, across the Potomac river. This area is a "love it" "hate it" area. Lots of money, lots of high prices.

Do drive down, you are welcome to stop by my humble abode.