Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watchbox-in progress

Watchbox-in progress

Wanted to make a couple of boxes, a watchbox, humidor-gifts
    Watchbox is for my son.
    Figured when I croak, I want him to inherit my watches, the few that Ive purchased over the past 35 years that have any value.

Got alot of mahogany, so why not give it a shot.
    I dont do well with tight fitting little things made out of wood.

Had some planed down from table, figured out the size I need.

check out this cool clamp,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood stuff 370 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	26185 not sure if its made for this or strictly cabinets, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood stuff 371 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	26186but it worked fine, just had to adjust pressure and tighten down,measured all sides to see if square.
    Wanted a small base molding to go around bottom of box, since IM glueing a bottom to walls. Have to make my own molding, so I routed out a few lengths with a profile, maybe cove?(its not like I have a choice, I only have 3 router bits for shaping edges)
    Then cut the wood to 2 inches height, and then sliced it as thin as I could get without losing the profile.(about 5/8ths, I was shooting for 3/8s)
    Glued up a base, cut out a top, and now I have to let it sit and dry overnight before I continue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 368 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 369 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 373 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 375 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-01-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Allen,

Nice start to your project. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Those Merle clamps are really nice to have around. I bought a couple of them several years ago along with extra corners. I've used them for boxes as well as an octagonal piece I made a few years ago.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I thought I had bought it,(at a garage sale or flea market) but I remembered after I started with this hobby, my neighbor, who does contracting, said he had no use for them, he saw me making boxes he gave it to me. (I never thought Id use it)

I have a simular clamp hanging on the clamp wall, I'll have to give it a try on a box. For some reason I never thought of using it. Been using painters tape as a clamping system on boxes. Thanks Allen

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I thought I had bought it,(at a garage sale or flea market) but I remembered after I started with this hobby, my neighbor, who does contracting, said he had no use for them, he saw me making boxes he gave it to me. (I never thought Id use it)
    I don't use mine often, but they come in handy occasionally. Not to hijack your thread, but here's a link to more info on the clamp system.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

thanx, wont make much difference in my work though, I still cant cut a perfect mitre'd corner.(I think I shoulda went with the finger joints.)

Looks like it'll be a fun project. I got couple of those Merle clamps on sale a year or so ago. Still haven't used them, but at some point I suspect they'll come in handy. Just waiting for the right project.
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ...I still cant cut a perfect mitre'd corner...
    You can, but it just hasn't happend yet. It will.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I breezed through some of the jewerly boxes and other small boxes made by others on this site, and realized whoa boy!
    What am I thinking?

did ya see jasons maple box? wow.

Alot of you guys should be happy Im posting this thread, cause the value of your boxes will skyrocket when Im done.
    Show the wives and girlfriends my box and you'll get your favorite meals for a month straight!

since I started this thread, Ill put a few more pics as it nears completion.

(I can honestly say you guys have been tolerant of my work and postings related to it. )

Didnt feel like wasting any more mahogany to make the inserts.
    Used pine, but it will be covered with felt like substance as will the entire inside.
    Small pillows will hold the watches.

ONe pic shows as close as I can get and fix the corners.(this is why I dont build small boxes)At least I managed to hold the camera still.

I took a shot so it shows the lid, I routed out a profile on the lid to match the bottom molding profile.(keep the laughing to a minimum)

Im a bit ashamed to ask this question, but Im using small hinges that will have to be mortised into the back and lid.
    Ive never mortised a hinge into hardwood(accurately, or at least close enough).
    Is there a special technique, using a chisel? Do I make many taps going down the depth I need? I really dont want to mess up the box now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 379 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 381 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 382 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 383 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 384 (Medium).jpg  

Last edited by allen levine; 12-03-2008 at 05:07 PM.

Hey Allen, those miters don't look half bad. Well done! I wish some of mine came out that tight.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com