Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is a square edge not square?..............UPDATE!!!

When is a square edge not square?..............UPDATE!!!

So I bought a new LN 60 1/2. Finally took it out of the box today to use it and I noticed that I had to move the back of the blade WAY to the right to get it to square up with the mouth. It wouldn't square up so I took the blade out and checked it with my machinist's square and, sure enough, it was definately not square.

Is this normal for a LN blade to be out of square like this? Or is this part of the tuning that one is expected to do on a new plane? I was under the impression that the only thing one needed to do to a LN block plane was to flatten and polish the back of the iron and maybe put a finer edge on it? Is this bonehead not thinking straight?

Thanks very much for your input.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 01-03-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

No, it should be pretty darn square. Both of my LNís came with blades that needed only very light touch up. I think you got a Monday morning bladeÖ
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Another consideration is that the sides of the iron may not be parallel to each other, which would throw off the ability to measure with a square.

There are other possibilities, but in any case simply contact them. They'll make it right.

Take care, Mike
    Wenzloff & Sons Sawmakers

You definately got a bum blade if its not square to the side of the blade and it does not measure straight on the edge of the mouth. If you can see something is amiss with a machinist square, then something is wrong.

To be honest with you, I am not surprised. I bought a replacement blade for my Stanley #140 and it had a nick in it. In my case it was just a matter of sharpening it up, but I did tell them about it. No big deal, but their quality is definately starting to slip.

I ended up sending my blade back to LN, as was suggested by some of you, on December 29. This morning I called LN to see if they had received it yet. They had and the new blade was already being prepared for shipment!!!

I happened to have had the good fortune of Patrick taking my call. Apparently, he is the exact person that deals with this issue of making sure that unsquare blades (and other such things) don't get shipped out. As expected, he was very kind and helpful and, of course, apologozed for the defective blade getting sent to me. He had read my posting of this issue already and said that he had planned a meeting of the folks involved to see what needed to be done so that this type of thing is minimized even further.

In the past 6 or 8 months I have read in different forums some people mentioning that LN's QC must be starting to slip and that they must not be caring as much. My opinion is that those folks don't know what the bleepity bleep they're talking about. When the number of items that are shipped out increases, the percentage of oops and errors that get shipped will also increase. However, LN seems to have the best QC of any manufacturer that I have dealt with AND when something does happen, I don't know of any manufacturer that deals with the problem any better than LN, from what I"ve experienced and from what I've read in other posts.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, all is well in Lie-Nielsen land and I expect to have my blade back and in my plane shortly.

Many and large thanks to Lie-Nielsen ToolWorks INC.
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Iíve never needed to send anything back to Lie-Nielsen, but if I ever do, Iím confident that Iíll be just as satisfied as you are.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Don't know about your plane but know that framing squares are not necessarily square and levels are not always level. I think the plumb bob is often right!
    BOB
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post

In the past 6 or 8 months I have read in different forums some people mentioning that LN's QC must be starting to slip and that they must not be caring as much. My opinion is that those folks don't know what the bleepity bleep they're talking about.
    Work there, that will change your opinion!!

Travis, I assume by your post that you did work there. Mind telling us what you did for them?

I think that perceptions from the point of view of someone from the inside of a company and those of someone from the outside are often different. The person on the inside gets to be privy to all the gory details of what decisions are made verses simply seeing results of decisions as an end purchaser.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

Would be interesting to know what all you got to do there, though, Travis.

Take care, Mike
    Wenzloff & Sons Sawmakers