Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Lure Shelf (update: need opinions)

Fishing Lure Shelf (update: need opinions)

Here is a fishing lure shelf I am making for my father-in-law, he has some antique fishing lures. It's just a small shelf and will have divider for 13 lures when done

BUT

the main point of this post was to thank Charlie Plesums for his emails walking me through using a 45 lock miter bit. I wanted to do something a little different instead of just 45's glued together.

Also using this technique I was able to "wrap" the grain around the box which give it a little better look, especially with this wood.

Remember some of the joints look a little sloppy because they are not glued together, I just wanted to get some rough pics to show, they should be nice and tight when glued and clamped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lure Shelf 001.jpg   Lure Shelf 002.jpg   Lure Shelf 003.jpg   Lure Shelf 004.jpg   Lure Shelf 005.jpg  

Last edited by Aaron Beaver; 12-15-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    Rise above the rest

Aaron looks great. What is that wood. Looks like some nice color mix and grain patterns that will show up well in finishing.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Aaron looks great. What is that wood. Looks like some nice color mix and grain patterns that will show up well in finishing.
    Its Ambrosia Maple, and I like the way it looked when I thought about it being with fishing lures. Seemed like the two would go well together, with the grain pattern and holes it has in it. Not sure if I will stain it with a color or just leave it clear.
    Rise above the rest

That's some of the prettiest ambrosia maple I remember seeing. Looking forward to seeing this project as it progresses.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

i agree with vaughn on the pretty and i wouldnt stain it,,just use a clear finish show off the color nature gave it
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Well I got it together and glued up but I have a question about the back which is beadboard plywood.

The question is: I thought about applying blue flocking to the beadboard? You know the stuff you apply glue to the plywood then shake the blue flocking over it then remove the access. I think its the stuff they use in jewelery boxes.

Anyway, what are you thoughts about doing that, as far as design wise. I think it would look okay since the cabinet is for fishing lures and the blue might represent water. What do you think?

btw, this will have divider shelves throughout to separate the lures so it wont be one big open space like that, the dividers will be made out of the same wood as the box. It will have a glass door on it also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lure Shelf 006.jpg   Lure Shelf 007.jpg   Lure Shelf 008.jpg  
    Rise above the rest

save your self some greif first,, i wouldlook at using felt rather than flocking and as for the blue back ground.. try a piece of paper in the shade you think is good first.. blue isnt always a good color to show of items as a background,, you want the lures to show not the background.. do you have the lures ? if so looka the predominate color of them and use that as guide.. i think a beigh or light gray would be better for seeing the colors of the lures.. kinda look at it like photograper would..just my two cents worth and got few of them old ones too
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Since the back is a Beadboard and has the grooves, I don't think the flocking would come out very well, (or the felt either). How about using a tinting dye or washcoat (of whatever color looks best) per Larry's suggestions. I think that would blend and compliment the beautiful wood in the box much better.

I wish I had some of that wood.

I wish I had the lures but he wouldn't let go of them. lol I believe of what I saw of them they are rather dark. They did have a light blue flocking that I could of got but wasn't sure and went with medium blue. I hear what you are saying about a lighter color being better.

I will have to think on it some and do some searches maybe for other alternatives.
    Rise above the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    Since the back is a Beadboard and has the grooves, I don't think the flocking would come out very well, (or the felt either). How about using a tinting dye or washcoat (of whatever color looks best) per Larry's suggestions. I think that would blend and compliment the beautiful wood in the box much better.

I wish I had some of that wood.
    I am with Norman. and I also wish I had some of the wood. Looks great I would give the back a wash of some sort.
    cheers