Fishing Lure Shelf (update: need opinions)

Aaron Beaver

Here is a fishing lure shelf I am making for my father-in-law, he has some antique fishing lures. It's just a small shelf and will have divider for 13 lures when done

BUT

the main point of this post was to thank Charlie Plesums for his emails walking me through using a 45 lock miter bit. I wanted to do something a little different instead of just 45's glued together.

Also using this technique I was able to "wrap" the grain around the box which give it a little better look, especially with this wood.

Remember some of the joints look a little sloppy because they are not glued together, I just wanted to get some rough pics to show, they should be nice and tight when glued and clamped.

Attachments

• Lure Shelf 001.jpg
    Lure Shelf 001.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Lure Shelf 002.jpg
    Lure Shelf 002.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Lure Shelf 003.jpg
    Lure Shelf 003.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Lure Shelf 004.jpg
    Lure Shelf 004.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Lure Shelf 005.jpg
    Lure Shelf 005.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Aaron looks great. What is that wood. Looks like some nice color mix and grain patterns that will show up well in finishing.

Its Ambrosia Maple, and I like the way it looked when I thought about it being with fishing lures. Seemed like the two would go well together, with the grain pattern and holes it has in it. Not sure if I will stain it with a color or just leave it clear.

That's some of the prettiest ambrosia maple I remember seeing. Looking forward to seeing this project as it progresses. :thumb:

Well I got it together and glued up but I have a question about the back which is beadboard plywood.

The question is: I thought about applying blue flocking to the beadboard? You know the stuff you apply glue to the plywood then shake the blue flocking over it then remove the access. I think its the stuff they use in jewelery boxes.

Anyway, what are you thoughts about doing that, as far as design wise. I think it would look okay since the cabinet is for fishing lures and the blue might represent water. What do you think?

btw, this will have divider shelves throughout to separate the lures so it wont be one big open space like that, the dividers will be made out of the same wood as the box. It will have a glass door on it also.

Attachments

• Lure Shelf 006.jpg
    Lure Shelf 006.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Lure Shelf 007.jpg
    Lure Shelf 007.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Lure Shelf 008.jpg
    Lure Shelf 008.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 21
save your self some greif first,, i wouldlook at using felt rather than flocking and as for the blue back ground.. try a piece of paper in the shade you think is good first.. blue isnt always a good color to show of items as a background,, you want the lures to show not the background.. do you have the lures ? if so looka the predominate color of them and use that as guide.. i think a beigh or light gray would be better for seeing the colors of the lures.. kinda look at it like photograper would..just my two cents worth and got few of them old ones too :thumb:

Since the back is a Beadboard and has the grooves, I don't think the flocking would come out very well, (or the felt either). How about using a tinting dye or washcoat (of whatever color looks best) per Larry's suggestions. I think that would blend and compliment the beautiful wood in the box much better.

I wish I had some of that wood.:thumb:

I wish I had the lures but he wouldn't let go of them. lol I believe of what I saw of them they are rather dark. They did have a light blue flocking that I could of got but wasn't sure and went with medium blue. I hear what you are saying about a lighter color being better.

I will have to think on it some and do some searches maybe for other alternatives.

Since the back is a Beadboard and has the grooves, I don't think the flocking would come out very well, (or the felt either). How about using a tinting dye or washcoat (of whatever color looks best) per Larry's suggestions. I think that would blend and compliment the beautiful wood in the box much better.

I wish I had some of that wood.:thumb:

I am with Norman. and I also wish I had some of the wood. Looks great I would give the back a wash of some sort.

I am with Norman. and I also wish I had some of the wood. Looks great I would give the back a wash of some sort.

When you say wash, so you mean some kind of paint, or crackle paint? I wouldn't mind it looking old since the lures are old and not greatest shape paint wise.

When you say wash, so you mean some kind of paint, or crackle paint? I wouldn't mind it looking old since the lures are old and not greatest shape paint wise.

Aaron, I think there is another name for what I'm calling a washcoat, but I'm having one of those "Sr. Moment Days":rolleyes: & I just cannot remember what it is.:huh::dunno:

I found out after our project that there is even a special paint with that name, but what I did on a chest that the LOML wanted that finish on, was to just dilute some water based white paint so it was "really thin" & looked kinda like skim or 2% milk and then painted & wiped it on & let it soak a few minutes and then wiped it off. It gives the wood more of a Tinted coloring than a painted look. Since our project was on an Ash Chest I I had to do some areas more than once to get it even (I had sanded it with too fine a grit and it didn't want to soak into the ash in some areas) but it came out fine in the end. When it was dry, I sprayed it with clear lacquer to seal it and give it some protection. You might try this on a scrap of the bead board and see what you think.

Good luck with whatever finish you decide on.:thumb: