My guess is that Steve had an order for an ebony plane, and the buyer didn't want to wait three years for the ebony to dry.

Interesting concept, but none too practical for us 'little guys.'

I know a guy who runs a large vacuum kiln. He manufactures pool cue blanks. This is around 20' long and about 4' sq. It opens in a clamshell fashion with a heavy rubber seal on the clamshell mating surfaces. Lots of clamps. Basically you layer heat tape in between each layer of wood and this is heated on a schedule. Big transformer to make the tape hot. Vacuum removes the free water. I think he can run a load through in a few days.

I understand this is the only way to dry 12/4 oak without checking. I have thought about building a small version to mess with but I'm not sure if I have the ambition at this time.

There is a Russian guy on one of the forums that has built a vacuum kiln that is as big as a railroad car.

I seem to remember that many woodworkers don't like vacuum dried wood, something about texture. I think it may open up the wood grain more than a conventional kiln.