Spalted Locust Pot

Jeff Bower

A couple who are very good friends saw some of my past small bowls out of spalted locust and commented on how much they liked the look of the wood. They recently moved into a new house and this will be their house warming gift at the open house in a few weeks. This is a new form for me, copied from some similar that I've seen on the web. It is about 5" high and 4" wide. I filled a crack that can be seen in pic on the right with CA glue and sanding dust and finished it with about 4 coats of danish oil. Still needs to be buffed. Comments/Critiques are welcome.

Attachments

• 20081124_0007.JPG
    20081124_0007.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 44
  • 20081124_0006.JPG
    20081124_0006.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 32
Real pretty wood, Jeff, and it looks like you did a good job turning it. Was the locust hard to turn once dry? The form doesn't really do much for me...I'm not real fond of wide/flat bowl bottoms and straight-ish sides...but that's just one person's opinion. ;)

I have to agree with Vaughn in both cases, you certainly did a good job of turning it, but the form does not much for me, but then again, I know I like some things that most others do not.

Boy that wood is sure pretty, do you have a lot more of it?

The colors are really amazing, and I also have to ask, is it hard to turn?

I'm sure you friends will be very happy with it, make sure you sign and date it :thumb:

Stu

Thanks for the compliments, like I said it is a new form for me. It is hard to turn, and end grain to boot! It does sand well though!

I do have one more crotch piece of the spalted locust, I think it will be a HF sometime soon!