Computer Router

I had good luck with the D-Link brand. Are you going to be wired or wireless? I have AT&T U-Verse now and don't use a store bought router.

Steve

Last edited:
I've has a Linksys SRX-200 for a couple years. No problems whatsoever. It just works! By now, there's probably a newer model that's better/faster/makes coffee/whatever, but this one has sure been a good one.

I have a Netgear router upstairs next to the computer and like it a lot. I also have a Linksys range extender downstairs to help get/boost the wireless signal down there better. It amazing how much that range extender helped.

Linksys. Can't go wrong.
I had (still have but don't use) an early Microsoft. Worked OK. But whenever I had to make changes, like a new computer I had to call MS and spend a couple hours on the phone installing it. Requires a couple impossibly long strings of numbers and other Voo-doo be typed in to make it work. You can have it if you'll just pay shipping.

I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. My office computer is on one of the ethernet direct ports. I use the wireless for my shop computer (about 100' away) because it was cheaper than burying hardline out there. My laptop works from almost anywhere on our lot, also.

I use the Linksys WRT54G as well, but reloaded it with an open source firmware called HyperWRT. The software allowed me to boost the signal (changed from a default of 60% to 100%) to get to all three levels of my house as well as the garage and patio from the basement. Before I loaded it, I couldn't get it on my patio from outside even when I could see the dern thing through the window. It also allowed me to set priority on my mac address so that my kids music and video downloads didn't affect my link's speed.

I'm using D-Link here. I think any of the major players (D-Link. Linksys, Netgear) will provide what you're looking for.

Man I must have CNC stuff on the brain, I looked at this thread name and thought "Cool he is building a CNC machine" :doh: :eek:

I've had a Linksys router for years, just keeps on working :wave:

I have a Linksys Wireless PCI card in my shop computer. Will the firmware need to be loaded onto it as well?

Nope, just download the software, unzip it, and load it as a firmware upgrade on the router (on the Administration tab > Firmware Upgrade) . You'll want to do a backup prior to doing any updates though (on the Administration tab > Config Management) and make sure to use the computer that is connected via the cable (not wirelessly).

I like the WRT54G's too. I've had really good luck with Linksys. My current one is a variant that has a slot for a Sprint broadband card. My old one is used with another open source firmware called DD-WRT to act as a bridge between the house and shop.

I've also got a D-Link which I use as just an access point and it works well, but I don't like the interface as much and it doesn't support DD-WRT and I have a Buffalo I use as an access point with DD-WRT. It is OK, but the hardware feels cheap.

Man I must have CNC stuff on the brain, I looked at this thread name and thought "Cool he is building a CNC machine" :doh: :eek:

I've had a Linksys router for years, just keeps on working :wave:

Almist did it a few years ago when I was into electronics, but that was a period better left alone.

Thanks all. I think I am going with the Linksys. The wife wants the second one online and wirless will probaly be faster then running a cable and makeing the ends.

I'm hijacking yer thread a bit here.
Only downside to a wireless router these days is that anyone with a wireless pick-up can use it. My son (an otherwise very smart and normal person) can't go anywhere without his laptop. He is on his discussion forum (hybrid cars) constantly. Kills a visit and conversation. Then there's those folks with the Blackberrys, I-phones, etc. Human contact could cease to exist in a few years.

Radiation

As a radiation kinda guy (nuke for years) I try to minimumize the RF bouncing around our house. Sooo.. I use an actual wire between router and computers.

Now I know Cell phone RF is everywhere and I have and use one. Also have a wireless phone but like I said I try to minimize not eliminate unneeded RF.

My kids - I hound them to use a headset with their cell phones.

I will not say ya/na if long term, close to head use of a cell phone is bad for you or not but I will bet that it is NOT good for you.

So if you can use a wire.

Only downside to a wireless router these days is that anyone with a wireless pick-up can use it.

Frank, there are security measures built into wireless routers, you just have to use them! Most people don't, they plug it in and "Hey I am wireless" and leave their network open for anyone to use.

Mine is password protected and I even go as far as turn of the SSI (??) broadcast. Meaning my network doesn't send an invitation saying "Here I am, wanna sign on??" If you bring your wireles device into my house you will not see that I have a wireless network. Even if I have the broadcast on you have to now my password to use it.

I am sure someone can get around it but I don't have any neighbors in range. They would have to sit in my driveway to use it.