Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Router

Floydada, Tx

Computer Router

I am in need of a router for the pc. Anyone recommend a good one? I would like to hooke up a second pc for the kids.

I had good luck with the D-Link brand. Are you going to be wired or wireless? I have AT&T U-Verse now and don't use a store bought router.

Last edited by Steve Vaughn; 12-04-2008 at 01:08 AM.

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    I've has a Linksys SRX-200 for a couple years. No problems whatsoever. It just works! By now, there's probably a newer model that's better/faster/makes coffee/whatever, but this one has sure been a good one.
    Jim D.

The Heart of Dixie
    Been through three now. Linksys is by far the best one so far. Good reveiws and the sales guy tells me it has the least problems/returns.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Linksys WRT54GL

~ $54 shipped from Amazon
    Got Wood?

I have a Netgear router upstairs next to the computer and like it a lot. I also have a Linksys range extender downstairs to help get/boost the wireless signal down there better. It amazing how much that range extender helped.
    Rise above the rest

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Linksys. Can't go wrong.
    I had (still have but don't use) an early Microsoft. Worked OK. But whenever I had to make changes, like a new computer I had to call MS and spend a couple hours on the phone installing it. Requires a couple impossibly long strings of numbers and other Voo-doo be typed in to make it work. You can have it if you'll just pay shipping.

Constantine, MI
    I installed a D-Link in our church and the single router services (wireless) a 75' radius with no problems.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Thomasville, GA
    I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. My office computer is on one of the ethernet direct ports. I use the wireless for my shop computer (about 100' away) because it was cheaper than burying hardline out there. My laptop works from almost anywhere on our lot, also.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Kansas City, Missouri
    I use the Linksys WRT54G as well, but reloaded it with an open source firmware called HyperWRT. The software allowed me to boost the signal (changed from a default of 60% to 100%) to get to all three levels of my house as well as the garage and patio from the basement. Before I loaded it, I couldn't get it on my patio from outside even when I could see the dern thing through the window. It also allowed me to set priority on my mac address so that my kids music and video downloads didn't affect my link's speed.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault