bowl gouge saga continues

Frank Fusco

A friend came over this evening and gave me a lesson using the bowl gouge. He demonstrated then said "do it". I did. Couple more little tips and I did more. Almost made a whole walnut bowl.
So wats the big deal with bowl gouges? :rolleyes:
Now....if I can only remember what he showed me until tomorrow morning....
:eek::eek::eek:

BTW, he is a retired very successful businessman. Can afford anything he wants. Right now he is looking to upgrade his ancient lathe and likes my Grizzly G0632. He even said that he doesn't see an advantage to the PM over this. And, the Griz swivels. :D He likes that.

I didn't forget everything by a.m. Found the coffee pot OK. That was a good start. ;)
Went back and gnawed some more on what may be the most abused hunk of walnut in history.
Might actually end up with something resembling a bowl. Wasn't able to get rid of all the rings inside, even with a scraper.
Thing took a shape all it's own but, for a practice piece, that's OK. Not very imaginative.
That white spot inside is where a helpful friend pushed the starter drill hole all the way through. I plugged with a dowel. Will stain.

Attachments

• bowl and gouge.jpg
    bowl and gouge.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 69
What I can see of the bowl looks great and I do believe that Walnut is stunning.

That looks like a 1/2" Sorby you are using. That's what I used for my first bowl gouge, too. It won't take long and it will be the only tool you use on a bowl except for a parting tool. You won't need the scraper on the inside and even the 80 grit gouge will be used very little. ;)

Holy rusted metal Batman!!! It's a bowl...I hope the Joker hasn't struck!!
That has the lookings of a bowl Frank. Your kickin' it braa!!

El Cracko

Saga is right. :eek:
Believe this project is fini. :(
Crack is too gross, probably won't go the CA route.
See classifieds under 'bowl gouges for sale cheep!' ;)

Attachments

• el cracko.jpg
    el cracko.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 23
I guess you learned why you shouldn't use cole jaws in expansion mode
Or if you have to use them in expansion mode, do it with a light touch and use the tailstock to provide support down to the last little nub, then move the tailstock and cleanup carefully.

Looks like it's worth saving, Frank. ;)

I know you have a lot of dry walnut and other hardwoods, but I think it still might be worth your time to try getting some green wood. It's much more forgiving (and satisfying) when learning the ins and outs of a bowl gouge.

I guess you learned why you shouldn't use cole jaws in expansion mode

Actually, this bowl cracked previously also without any inside forces at work. It is figured and loaded with opportunities for breaking.
I will continue to experiment with the inside/expansion method of holding.
Will have an interesting final report later today.