Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to question......

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

How to question......

In another thread I posted the need for a new adjuster assembly for my no-name band saw. I did find what I thought was the right part but now that its here and I'm trying to install it found a discrepancy As you see in photo #1 the shaft of the new part is about 1 15/32" to the shoulder. The old part (photo #2) the length of the shaft to the shoulder is longer, right at 1 9/16". In photo #3 you can see the pins that hold the pivot arm into the frame. The new assy. photo #4 is the same set up the pins appear to be pressed in and gee, don't fall out like the old ones did Any ideas how to get the pins out so I can attempt to swap out the pivot arms? The both have roll pins holding the shaft into the pivot arm but the roll pin of the new unit goes into a blind hole so I can't just push it though with a small punch

Any ideas???

Aloha

Photo #1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8248 (Small).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	26276

Photo #2

Name:	IMG_8253 (Small).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	26277

Photo #3

Name:	IMG_8254 (Small).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	26278

Photo #4

Name:	IMG_8256 (Small).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	26279
    Last edited by Royall Clark; 12-04-2008 at 03:48 AM.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Royall,
    At first blush, I'm not sure how to get the roll pins out, but maybe another approach - how about a few shims on the shaft? The new shaft is longer, so a shim in front or back may help center the top wheel over the bottom wheel. It may be easier to find a few washers than get those pins out!

Just a thought,
    Wes

Thanks for the reply Wes. It's the other way around..... the old shaft is longer and one other thing I didn't mention is the threads are coarse on the new assy. If it wasn't pot metal I'd be tempted to warm it up a bit but I'd probably royally (pun intended) screw it up!

Aloha,
    Aloha,

Yeah, I think I'd go with Wes' suggestion on this one myself. Good luck.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

OK, let me make sure I have this right.

The old shaft is longer than the new one you want to replace it with, is that correct?

Also, you are wanting to keep the old inside piece, (The inside piece being the piece with the shaft on it) and put it into the new outside piece, correct?

OK, I'll assume that I'm correct in my assumptions.

Those pins are designed to be pushed in once, and not really removed, The old one that I fixed up, the roll pins just fell out of it too

The roll pins, are they stuck in the inside piece or the outside piece?

If they are held in place on the inside piece of the new one, the one that you want to get rid of, you could destroy that piece, you could try heating it up first, (aluminum heats and expands a lot, so you might get lucky) if not, drill some small holes in the inside piece until it cracks and lets go of the roll pins.

Name:	drill_holes_here.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	26318

The you would have the new outside piece, and you old longer shafted inside piece............... might work
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 12-05-2008 at 07:23 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the reply Stu... I think that may do the trick I was hoping to get the pivot pins out with the pivot in one piece but I just can't see it happening.

Aloha,
    Aloha,

Oh darn. Sorry, I was hoping the easy way out would do it. If you go Stu's route, have patience - you don't want to rush things and break the new part!

Good luck!

Wes

How to question......

I'd come over to help you Royall, but da Supa Ferrie no go dat way yet, brah.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Hey Tony... Das BOOT not be comin here anytime soon. Not worth it if I can't go from here to Maui with out having to go all the way to your island first. Flap my wings faster:rofl

Aloha
    Aloha,

How to question......

I think Stu has the right idea for you. It's simple, and safe.

Try it.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.