Jointer inquiry

My window of doing large flatwork is not going to be that big considering alot of guys have 15,20, 30 years of hands on experience.
I might not be able to handle working with heavy lumber and machinery in 10 years from now. Im not getting any younger or healthier.

Nor am Im thinking my work will vastly improve with a piece of machinery.
I dont see any downside though.
If this isnt for me, at all, I can sell it and take a hit, it wont break me, and its an expense of this hobby as far as Im concerned.
Im trying to improve the work Im doing now, and I want to build furniture, as Ive stated, nothing else.
Im self teaching myself by making mistakes and learning.

Im not that far away from taking a week off this coming summer and visiting one of the pros on this board, for a week of private tutoring in fine furniture techniques.
Id rather spend my hard earned money on someone I feel can teach me in a week what I might spend 3 years trying to figure out.(some guy like you Tod, or Marty, or Robert, whos forgotton more about furniture construction that Ill ever learn)

Last edited:
and i still don`t even own or use one:eek:
That's apparent in the pictures of your work. Hardly a straight line to be found. :p

Seriously, I don't use my jointer much when I'm doing flatwork. It had been handy for a few things I've worked on, but since I typically buy S4S lumber when I'm doing flat stuff, I haven't had the need for one as much a lot of other guys. (Especially considering the limited amount of flat stuff I make.)

Allen, the Powermatic is a very nice jointer. Ya done good. Congrats. :thumb:

this truly rots, having to move tons of junk that was gathering in one spot for 2 years.

I finally made some room, hung up the mitre stand which will store above the new jointer.wood stuff 397 (Medium).jpg

Now I just have to clean up the rest of the mess.wood stuff 398 (Medium).jpg

Hey, if you pass me on the highway, give a honk!wood stuff 394 (Medium).jpg

(a little team spirit)

some old hand tools, not worth anything. My FIL gave me his junk tools that werent worth anything in 1960, junk is junk, but how on earth do you throw out a tool?(I also found a 12-15 inch bolt cutter. I know its not mine, its pretty funny)

At least now when he calls me and has the jointer ready, I can take delivery and not have to wait.(I printed out the instruction booklet from Powermatic online last night,40 pages total I only took 28 pages, I skipped all the spec stuff and warning pages)

Last edited:
Its going to be an early Chanukah for me.
My jointer is ready for me, so why wait till January.

Im just trying to figure out how will I let it stand till march or so without using it over the winter?

Its going to be an early Chanukah for me.
My jointer is ready for me, so why wait till January.

Im just trying to figure out how will I let it stand till march or so without using it over the winter?

I'll Bet You CAN'T. :rofl::rofl::rofl: (I can see a big Kerosene or "Other" heater in your NEAR Future).:D

Congratulations on a fine machine.:thumb:

I just got up today, logged on to check weather and email, logged on here, and I hear beeping in my driveway.
Delivered early, so I finally filled that empty spot against the wall with the jointer.
Then hung up a shelf for the mitre saw, everything fits like a glove.
Not exciting for anyone but me, but I made sure the fence was 90 degrees, and picked up a piece of very uneven ash, and ran it through the jointer 4 times and got a beautiful edge.
The machine is ultra quiet, so quiet I almost dont hear it running until I ran a piece of wood through it.
Ive read the instruction booklet, doesnt look complicated at all.

Ive never used any other jointer so I have nothing to compare it with.

I will mention 2 things.

The dust ejector port does not project the chips out like the planer.
AFter I used it, I cleaned out alot of chips by hand from the port.
I dont know if the end just sits there, Ill know better when I run alot of wood.
Im going to get an adaptor temporarily for my 2.5 inch vac hose until I get a dust collection system. Im sure the shop vac will suck up anything this machine tosses out.

I opted for an HTC base, and although it moves easy enough, its difficult to turn, and the machine when mobile tilts a bit backwards so you have to move slowly. (nothing like the ridgid mobile base, but it is fine)

Now Im going to go out and take apart and clean out that chainsaw, probably destroy it, but what the hec.

Attachments

• wood stuff 433 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 433 (Medium).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 24
  • wood stuff 434 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 434 (Medium).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 18
  • wood stuff 435 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 435 (Medium).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 17
  • wood stuff 436 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 436 (Medium).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I wont get started with any big projects this time of year.

I will make one small radiator cover to keep the scale small.

On a side note:
It is not my intention to brag about purchasing a new machine.
Im quite sure most here have more machines collecting dust in their shops than I own.
Im excited that Ive taken one more step into woodworking to attempt to enhance my work a bit.
I understand many situations for people in these bad times, gloating or bragging over something is not the way I am nor would I want to make anyone feel worse if things arent going too well for them right now, as I know many people are having a tough time this year.
Forgive me if I came across as a braggart, it was unintentional.
Im like a 5 y/o who just got his first big wheel.

Allen, I think you will find that having a jointer will make a big difference in your woodworking. That is a great machine you got there, I would consider it a heirloom.

As "Stingray" Steve Irwin would have said...Oi! She's a beauty!

Feeling like a 5-year-old with his first Big Wheel is perfectly normal and acceptable. ;)

IOn a side note:
It is not my intention to brag about purchasing a new machine.
Im quite sure most here have more machines collecting dust in their shops than I own.
Im excited that Ive taken one more step into woodworking to attempt to enhance my work a bit.
I understand many situations for people in these bad times, gloating or bragging over something is not the way I am nor would I want to make anyone feel worse if things arent going too well for them right now, as I know many people are having a tough time this year.
Forgive me if I came across as a braggart, it was unintentional.
Im like a 5 y/o who just got his first big wheel.

Allen, I think everyone knows your not "bragging", but having that feeling highlight in read above is worth bragging about. I still remember when I got mine! Congrats on the new jointer.:thumb:

Definetly not bragging, just sharing your excitement. I wish I lived closer, I'd love to witness your test drive, all the way from the shakey knees to the HUGE grin your going to have with the first pass, feeling that smooth edge, AHHHH the pleasure of it all :D

Oh, I ran that baby today.

I ran through some ash, some mahogany, and some clear redwood.

It ran through so smooth and easy, I just wanted to get used to shifting pressure from the infeed right to the outfeed.

I was shutting down the garage till march, but that aint gonna happen.

Ill be starting at least one radiator cover before new years perhaps, and Im going to be building an electric shot box for the outdoor bar.